Thread: Naknek or Kvichak on a budget.

Default Naknek or Kvichak on a budget.

Hi all,

Great forum! I was wondering if those in the know could share some information or recommend some independent guides for either the Kvichak or the Naknek in early or late September for rainbow fishing. Are there independent guides that service these rivers that are not necessarily linked up with a lodge? Secondly, are there lodging options other than DIY camps on the Kvichak that won't break the bank? (or alternatively nice but economical accommodations in King Salmon that would work for the Naknek?) I'm looking to spend approximately 3-4 days on either river with a buddy, prior to fishing the Kenai. Budget is around $1500 to 2000. We are not against doing some DIY, but since we have never fished either river and the learning curve would be fairly steep, we would like to use our $ and time wisely to see if we can do a few guided days there.

Thanks for any help.

Asterr

This may possibly be of help. (found while aimlessly surfing another AK fishing site.)

http://fishalaskanexperience.com/default.aspx

What time of year are you thinking about?

Kvichak has some camping if the water isn't too high. Usually late August/Sept. the water gets high and gravel bars dissapear. There are cabins/boarding housing but fill up quick. Might be an independant in Igiugig but this is a small village. The Naknek doesn't camp well on the river itself but has some B&B's in King Salmon. There are a few independant guides that if you show up in one of the two bars in King Salmon after 8pm and ask around you might be able to hook up. If you wish to PM me and give some specifics I can better hook you up.

George

Sorry I should have mentioned that we were considering going for trophy rainbows during early or late September. I believe our working budget (if it helps) is around $1500 pp (for 2) for 3 days (including airfare). We will be fishing the Kenai in mid September, but wanted to branch out and see what the other "big name" rivers had to offer as well. Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

1500 pp is tough for the naknek

430 is the lowest round trip pen air ticket, guides run around 250 pp and the b&b are around 200 for a room double occupancy as is the king salmon inn.

So right there is 1480 for 3 days not including food, incedentals and tipping.

Don't know much guiding or lodging wise in Iguigig and the kvichak but even if it's cheaper your tacking on a lot more airfare.

And of course this is all assuming you don't get stuck in either place due to bad weather.

Unless you can raise your budget to 2,000 or 2500 i wouldn't reccomend going.

Default Private message

PM sent.

George

Aster:

I'm booked for seven days on a "do it your self" trip at Naknek River Camp in June... Google 'em. Very reasonable....

L