Thread: s. fork snow - seward

Default s. fork snow - seward

anyone interested in going into the s. fork snow river drainage this week?
    me and a couple friends tried it today and my buddy busted his steering linkage. lots of open water crossings and breakable ice. I'd like to get back in there again before the snow warms up and starts melting away. I know the route well and would be game to try it again. I need redemption.

How hard are the water crossings? Don't really want to turn my sled into a submarine.

...We know Snow River well; both forks... (we trap the North Fork, back in the non-motorized area and beyond- )
    Sometimes we take a sled in part of the area allowed; but,usually our routine consists of, on foot, a constant tedius change of footwear before and after every crossing:
    -Bunny boots and snowshoes...
    -then into, and back out of the waders-
    -lol-

-all traps pulled, so we haven't been back there in three weeks.....but, jockomontana's description of the terrain is pretty accurate;
    -and, AKhunter45's question is a very good one...

-however: the water level have dropped; hydroplaning accross is greatly hampered at a lot of the crossings-
    -we submerged one of our sleds in there 3 years ago; took us a week to get it out-(long story)

-we always see lots of sled trailers at the pull out, though...so someone's always riding back there...

-really beautiful up there...
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

I would love to go with, but I am back at work for a week. Be safe and have fun.

Default soggy bottoms...

we only made it in a few miles yesterday before my buddy busted his steering linkage (probaly on a rock in the crossing). then turned around and towed his sled back to the trailhead across four water crossings.

the second to last crossing gave us the most grief when the shelf ice broke loose and almost swamped both the towing sled and the towed one... we had to wade in two feet of water just to free the ski from some ice slabs and lift it back onto the shelf.

there's always at least a half dozen crossings to make... usually less than a foot deep. this year seems like there's more with the mild winter and now with this recent snowfall the crossings are steeper and fewer snow bridges between channels. however, the snow in the riverbed was soft and deep! though, I doubt its going to last much longer with the spring-time weather.

on a more positive note... rode Lost Lake today.. the Firehouse trail is in great shape and the snow up high was riding well.. not even sun- or wind-affected yet. might go back tomorrow.

If that's the case I might go back to Lost Lake on Friday and see what we can find. I think i'll skip the Snow River for this year.