Thread: Ethic's

Default Ethic's

I just replied to another post, about where to trap? i know we want to teach trapping, we want people to trap, we want to be able to trap. but especially when we are at very good market for our furs. i find everyones a trapper,or wants to trap.
    I've been in alaska for a very long time, long enought to know when we thought 5 miles between trappers was the ethical distant.
    What is the ethical distant between trappers today?

Default hmmmm

I don't think that can be answered just black and white. Maybe 5 miles is good if you know eachother and your neither one of you are overharvesting. On the other hand if you don't know the other person and they come in and trap the whole area out, then that will hurt you and 5 miles is not far enough then.

Smile Distance

I think that it depends on how much trapping that you plan on doing in an area. A good example is the Knik river drainage. It is hard to tell how many trappers have gear out in this drainage but I am sure that it is one of the most popular areas in the State, mainly for local and new trappers. If you went into one of these areas with the intention of getting a couple of fox or beaver for a hat then I would say that you are not going to hurt the population or cross any ethical boundaries. I wouldn,t want to cross over someone elses gear obviosly, but anyone who decides to but up a large developed line in that area would, i'm sure unerstand that they would run into other trappers. 5 miles is a long way when there is high competition in an area and knowing who is where is almost impossible. I trap an area in Willow, part of which is on 80 acres that i own and it seems that I still have to hide set that I make and the property is even posted. Using snares is probably the best way to insure that things are hidden from view and have no money loss if stolen. Good luck and snap a bunch!

Default boundies

all points well taken, and a topic that would be solved today.but it dose hurt when the hobby or weekender wiggies in between well "estabished" lines. to take a couple of furs,for the wall or garments,or the more agressive ones that want to cut line.
    i gusse my point is that i suppement my income with my lines and farm them Quite well.and every fur lost to encorchment is a small part of my income. would it be any differant if i would take $90.00 every week from the encoucher's regular pay check?since he has a very well "estabished" job?(most likely well earned).

Default May be tru

Isnarewolves that may be true but since it is public land there is no way around it. If you want an area that only you can trap and nobody traps close to you you need to get further out in the bush or something. I think most people are pretty darn respectful. Remember if you don't have any competition in the area then you also have no allies to fight the antis.

No allies. Good point, fish. Hadn't looked at it that way.
    As I see it, living in the urban areas, one can enjoy the benefits, but will also suffer the problems. If your trapping off a road system within reasonable driving distance of a town, your gonna have competition. There will be times when you may have to "like it, or lump it" so to speak.
    Learn to fly, snarewolves. That will get you away from the competition, somewhat.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Speaking of Anti's

I hope the anti's never get a hold of that bearin the trap video. If anti's ever get a hold og that video or download it and see a trapper, maybe an ethical one at that, they will exploit the hell out of that video and it will be there next tv commercial for sure. It happened in Maine and luckily they didn'g succeed, the only state where they haven't yet. I would take that thing off the internet, as much as it sucks and it shouldn't be that way it won't help any trappers, hunters or outdoorsman by putting a video like that on the internet