Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seward

26 60.47%
  • Whittier

17 39.53%

Thread: Boat Slip in Seward or Whittier and why

Default Boat Slip in Seward or Whittier and why

So thinking of keeping my boat in seward or whittier, but can't choose. I like seward but the runs are kinda far, but i know the area. Don't know whittier as well but like the fact that i can shrimp and do there stuff in PWS.
    Please help me decide ,and if you could post a lil reason why.
    Thanks

isn't there like a ten year waiting list for a slip in Whittier?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Probably Seward only for the reason that if you didn't get on the list in Whittier back in the 90's, you're not getting a slip anytime soon. Sorry to break it to you, but unless you've got a spare $100K+ to buy a slip at Cliffside Marina in Whittier, you're not getting one on that side of PWS anytime soon.

I think they both have pluses and minuses. We are in Seward and have been for a long time and don't see that changing any time soon. I know the area very well and have gotten pretty efficient as far as fishing goes. If the weather sucks the town of Seward has a lot more to offer then whittier too.
    Boatless

For the fisherman, Seward is a better choice, for the cruiser, Whittier is a better choice.

And just to add one more, good luck getting a slip in Whittier, as you're looking at a 10 year wait, or longer.

One reason having a boat on a trailer is a plus, you aren't tied down to one port.

In the Northen Economics report on the Whittier harbor that is on the harbor website, if you have a boat that fits in the 28-34' size range, or the next size up, you could have been put on the list in 1997 and you still would not have a slip today.

The sub 28' length boats have only been waiting since 2004, but this is overall length, not hull length, so that is a pretty small boat to have in a slip.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

both have some good qualities if you like claustrafobic cruise ship towns, I like Homer.

Default whittier

I like Whittier as there are so many islands there that you can always find some lee water and with some exploration, you can catch everything you could ever want. All 5 species of salmon, shrimp,shark,butts,lings,yellow-eye,cod and wolf eels if you like them. The whales are abundant and spectacular and rumor control is that there will be ALOT fewer cruise ships there this year. They however never bothered me in the Sound.

You may want to check on the Personal Property Taxes in both areas. In Whittier if your boat is in the Harbor or in the City of WHittier for 90 days or more the rate is .5 of the value of the boat.

So many variables here--like, are you boating mostly to fish, or are you into sightseeing and wildife viewing? Are you out for overnighters and looking for protected anchorages? Do you like boating out to rental cabins? Are you travelling with wife and kids?

Here's my take:
    Seward is best for fishing and wildlife viewing, but the water's much bigger and anchorages are fewer and further between. The ride can turn scary real fast...I think our last trip around Aialik Cape might have scared the wife for good on heading out there again!

Whittier is best for cruising around to various anchorages and cabins, and with the generally more protected waters, (can still get scary out there!) much more wife and kid friendly. The fishing is probably better than I know about in the Sound, but I have yet to find a place there where we can go catch 20+ silvers and a few halibut in a day like out at Pony/Chiswells. There may be such a spot, but I don't know about it yet and I don't have the range to head out to Montague from Whittier.

I trailer so we use both--Seward to stock the freezer with salmon and halibut, Whittier to camp and kayak and cabin and shrimp with the kids. The thing I like about the Sound is once I am out of Passage Canal, there are so many different directions to go and places to explore. It's soooo much easier to get on the beach and hike and explore in the Sound, something we do with our kids. And I really get tired of getting slammed around in the afternoon chop of Res Bay.