Thread: PWS Shrimping Permits

Default PWS Shrimping Permits

I called ADF&G today and the lady told me the PWS Shrimp permits are available in the Anchorage office right now.

Yes, I know it's still early but I just can't help myself. This gives me a reasonable excuse to pull out my bouys.

Default Already Got mine

Nice part is you no longer have to put the permit number on your bouys.

But they do ask as an option that ytou put your phone number on it so when they catch someone with gear that is not thiers they can call

I mean when they find "lost" gear

Default Number of pots

I use just four pots now, however, appears there is a pending change of the number of shrimp pots to be allowed in the works at AF&G.

I frequently drive by the AF&G building on "C" so stopped in to get my permit today. The staff there let me know that AF&G is considering, but has NOT YET APPROVED, increasing the number of pots allowed per permit from five to eight.

AF&G did not confirm/estimate a time frame for the pending announcement, if ultimately approved.

I was speaking to them about the Prince William Sound area. I took it from the conversation that AF&G is likely to increase the number of shrimp pots permitted for sportfish/subsistance sometime in the relative near future......but, that is my personal understanding on their comments about this issue.

Default The real stuff!

Fresh off the phone with our biologist I was told the pot number will go to 8 and in time for the opener. The reason they are holding back is to let the commercial guys get geared up. Guess I understood that to mean, let them buy up what they need before all the sport guys clean Steves shelves with the allowable pot increase.
    The part about no permit number on the buoy is correct, there take on that was "it wasn't a valuable management tool". Your phone number will replace the permit number and an enforcement guy can verify whether or not you gave joe permission to pull your gear! Or call you if they find your gear floating off somewhere.

I'm thinking there's going to be a bit of a run on gear / bait as folks realize how scarce it will get with even a couple commercial guys bying big! Glad I'm where I wanna be for this year!

You can now get those Shrimp permits in the Palmer office too.
    Mike

Does any body know what areas the commercial guys can fish?

Whatablast check out the other thread on this. Steve posted the area. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=75421

Muskie thanks for the info.

Guess it's time for my wife and I to build some more pots. Nice!

Now the question becomes whether to run one string of 8 pots or two strings of 4.

Default Or

4 strings with 2 each

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    4 strings with 2 each
    Where you going to store all the extra buoys & buoy lines ??? Most folks have a hard time storing the rigging for 5 pots. I'm thinking i'll just fish all 8 on one string.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Guess it's time for my wife and I to build some more pots. Nice!

Now the question becomes whether to run one string of 8 pots or two strings of 4.
    Brian,

Where do you get the mesh for building pots?

I'm thinking two strings of 4. Buoys and line are spendy, and it takes awhile to pull up a string from 500-600', so 2 pulls vs. 4 pulls.

Smile Awww man

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Where you going to store all the extra buoys & buoy lines ??? Most folks have a hard time storing the rigging for 5 pots. I'm thinking i'll just fish all 8 on one string.
    I was just joking.

I need to replace the 2 hard pots I have with folding ones as it is, A matter of space

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Brian,

Where do you get the mesh for building pots?

I'm thinking two strings of 4. Buoys and line are spendy, and it takes awhile to pull up a string from 500-600', so 2 pulls vs. 4 pulls.
    I'll have to talk to my dad on that one. He bought a big roll of the mesh material last year for recovering our old commercial pots. We've got 100 or so frames made out of welded rebar, but we need to tear off the old material and put on the new mesh. It's a time-consuming process, but inexpensive and a fun way to get excited about shrimping.

We also still have a number of lines from our commercial days that are each rigged to set 15 pots, but still, I'm thinking 2 strings of 4 might allow us to cover more ground.

Default It must be my age?

So with my new found information (get the shrimp permit in Palmer) I headed over this morning only to discover that I first needed the fishing license before I can get the permit. No problem, I'm at Fish and Game right? Wrong, Sorry sir, you'll have to go down to Fred Myer and get the license THEN COME BACK and we will give you the shrimp permit.
    Then she tells me the new office is too small as some sort of phony reason for not handling license
    Funny thing, the much smaller office they moved out of handled license! I hate it when they piss up my back and try to tell me "it's raining".

Moral of this story, IF YOU GO TO PALMER OFFICE to get that permit, be sure and stop somewhere else first to get you fishing license.

And people wonder why we get the rd azz at government. Did omama take over fish and game too?
    Mike

Default Good point, Steve, but...

You have that great Electrodyne pot puller, those of us with more puny pullers might want to do two strings of 4 pots to lighten the load, AND...

If you lose a string of 4, you still have 4 pots to shrimp with. Can you imagine the $$$ loss of a string of 8 pots

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    You have that great Electrodyne pot puller, those of us with more puny pullers might want to do two strings of 4 pots to lighten the load, AND...

If you lose a string of 4, you still have 4 pots to shrimp with. Can you imagine the $$$ loss of a string of 8 pots
    Ron,
    I don't have a ED on my rig, i have a hydraulic hauler that i built, its got lots of eumph so i can haul up a ball of pots, both mine and somebody else's if they set over me.
    Yeah the loss of losing 4 is 1/2 of losing 8 yeah i tend to be a wise arse

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Ron,
    I don't have a ED on my rig, i have a hydraulic hauler that i built,
    Hydraulics are the only way to go. Our boat might cruise at 9 kts, but it can haul a hundred pots if needed.