Thread: Dealing with Rifle damaged in the mail

Default Dealing with Rifle damaged in the mail

I need some help. I mailed a rifle to anchorage, it was damaged in route. Has anyone had any dealings like this? I did insure it with the USPS.

How do I get an official value and damage estimate?

The wood on the stock has some significant scratches.

Any help would be most appreciated and PMs are welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

I have no practical experience with this. That being said, I would call the local postmaster and ask what they require. They're still at work for another hour or so.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Yup, call the Postmaster, or just go down there and start the paperwork. They lost an Ebay item I shipped to Canada and I have been waiting for word on my clime 9 weeks now, they are very slow but everyone says they will pay. My item was out-N-out lost and international so I don't know about damage but the Post Office/Postmaster is the place to start.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Call your local PM. He will most likely tell you to bring the damaged artical along with the box that it was shipped in. The box that it was shipped in is very important for you to receice your claim. I would tell you to just go to the post office but they may freak if you walk in with a rifle. Better to call first. Also your office may not handle claims and they will tell you where to go. Good luck. Also make sure you have your insurance paperwork.

Just spoke to a retired postmaster, he said to take yor rifle to a local expert gunsmith and get an official estimate of the damage to your rifle. Include this estimate with your insurance claim to the USPS. They may be reluctant to pay, but he said to just keep submitting the paperwork as many times as it takes, and they will eventually pay for the damage to your rifle.
    Best of Luck,
    -J
    Last edited by jay51; 03-16-2010 at 13:07. Reason: schpelling

When you fill out the claim form, DO NOT tell them that you have had the item for any more than a couple months. I had a 12" square box of rings and bases that I sold on Gunbroker lost at the Oakland, CA P.O. Replacement cost new was about 1500.00 for several sets of EAW claw mounts. I sold them for 500.00. When I filled out the claim form I noted that I had owned the items for about 10 years. They "depreciated" the value of my loss from the 500.00 I sold them for down to 137.00 and sent me a check. I had to appeal that all the way up the system. Finally they made the decision to pay. VERY frustrating as all I wanted to do was get my buyer back his 500.00. Be very precise in everything you say and get peoples names, dates and what they tell you. DOCUMENT everything.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    When you fill out the claim form, DO NOT tell them that you have had the item for any more than a couple months. I had a 12" square box of rings and bases that I sold on Gunbroker lost at the Oakland, CA P.O. Replacement cost new was about 1500.00 for several sets of EAW claw mounts. I sold them for 500.00. When I filled out the claim form I noted that I had owned the items for about 10 years. They "depreciated" the value of my loss from the 500.00 I sold them for down to 137.00 and sent me a check. I had to appeal that all the way up the system. Finally they made the decision to pay. VERY frustrating as all I wanted to do was get my buyer back his 500.00. Be very precise in everything you say and get peoples names, dates and what they tell you. DOCUMENT everything.
    I'm sure glad it won't be like that when the Gov't takes over Health Care.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm sure glad it won't be like that when the Gov't takes over Health Care.
    Smitty of the North
    That mess has gotten so stupid all I can say is
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

hap

Jay51 and Gunbugs are exactly right! Do not volunteer ANY information and stick with the claim!

Default shipping issue

I shipped my rifle in an aluminum case to Alaska in 2006 via UPS. The rifle arrived in a case that was "Totally" unuseable, the case was thrown so hard somewhere that the barrel pushed out the seam of the case. the case had to be thrown away and the barrel recrowned. UPS's reply to all this was tough luck. If the case had been wrapped in paper, they say they would of paid for the damaged case, but since it was in the original shipping box, it was not covered and the barrel issue was not covered since it did not influence the rifle's ability to function. I had to throw the case away since it no longer shut and will never us UPS for anything of any value, I learned my lesson with wording on insurance claims.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

"A guarantee is only as good as the one who gives it to you."

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.