Thread: my first machine, my first ride...

Default my first machine, my first ride...

Well i've got a new to me 2002 summit highmark X 800 with a 151" underneath it and my brother took me out to break me in...knocked out about 70 miles or so, most of it wasn't flat, which i was excited about.
    Love the machine, climbed some mtns with it i'd never have thought possible with the machines i've drove before. overall it was good, but dang am i ever sore today!!!
    in hindsight i woulda brought a camera and i think i'm gonna put some stiffer springs in the back end. skidoo said it was set up for 185lb rider, but me and a jug of gas and some survival gear is well over that. so i'm gonnna beef it up a bit for pulling a sled and my backpack.
    good times, good ride. good investment...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Congratulations...............

Swap out that torsion spring for a heavier one and adjust the skid shocks accordingly. How did adjusting the limiter wok out for you? Those Summits are the shizzle!

Fat Boy spring is your friend!

the limiter strap is good it looks and feels like. i ain't draggin' bottom and i ain't plowing....
    which are the skid shocks and how do you adjust them?
    the torsion spring..thats the big one thats wrapped around the top behind the bogey wheels right? the long arm ones? one on each side?
    fat boy spring...? where do i find that?
    skidoo said they can get me a heavier set for 87 bucks..sounded reasonable to me.
    but yes..the shizzle....
    Master guide 212

Sounds like fun Jake. I'd suggest we go riding next month sometime as i leave for work in two days, but I imagine you'll be somewhat busy winding up for the bear season. Those summits do rock btw.

Heres what it looks like stuck!

lol thanks for that...ya i did get it stuck once...that helmet cam makes it look like i got stuck on a downhill...

luke, ya i'm gonna be wrapped up doing hunts startin' april 2nd and going crazy till i don't know when...
    we do need to get out and do something sometime though...
    Master guide 212

Your front skid shock adjusts to help with the control of the center of gravity of your sled. Basically it allows you to control the sled using your body weight. No adjustment on the rear shock unless you've got an aftermarket shock. It took me several rides before I found the sweet spot on my sled and once you find that, riding them becomes even more fun.

Luke, we should do a ride up near Cantwell to look for grizzlies before the snow is gone.

Default Way to go Jake!

Jake, I can't wait to see that machine climbing the Clearwaters! Don't worry about the sore part. That only lasts the first 3 or 4 rides, then your good to go. Just to get you fired up, here's a pic from the lodge, looking West down the Denali Highway.

Claude
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

hummm mmmm good. i'll be there!!
    Master guide 212

got the new springs loaded on my sled...man much nicer took a speed demon ride down a set of tussuk trails and never bottomed out...which is nice...
    Master guide 212

Actually Jake, you want the skid to bottom out occasionally...That means it is working to it fullest potential. Normally it should bottom out on the bigger bumps/jumps.

ya thats were its at now, i used to bottom out on little bumps, but now i've gotta pound it a bit more.
    Master guide 212

Most of the time hes going to have more of a load on it than just him. Probably a jug of fuel, the heavier springs should work out nicely.

plus the trailer...i think i'll be happy with the way its set up now...ridin' empty i might be in a for a treat though!
    Master guide 212