Thread: Asparagus

Default Asparagus

I picked up some asparagus starts this past weekend, and then got to thinking about how I was going to plant them. I know someone had asked about asparagus plants on here once before and I reviewed those posts, but I had a couple more questions.

Can asparagus be container planted? Should it be grown in the greenhouse? Or is it best planted in the garden?

Any special care that one needs to take with the plant, like what we do for squash, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I picked up some asparagus starts this past weekend, and then got to thinking about how I was going to plant them. I know someone had asked about asparagus plants on here once before and I reviewed those posts, but I had a couple more questions.

Can asparagus be container planted? Should it be grown in the greenhouse? Or is it best planted in the garden?

Any special care that one needs to take with the plant, like what we do for squash, etc?
    I've always love asparagus and artichokes too, but didn't know we can grow those there in AK (even in a greenhouse).

I'd love to read and get some more info about this stuff.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I think you're right granny i've never hear of asparagus growing up here. I'm not sure tho i've wondered because I love it and its hella expensive

My neighbors planted some asparagus in their greenhouse last year, I think they planted them from seed though, not starts (does that make sense)? Anyways, the plants got about 18" tall last year but apparently they are not supposed to be picked for the first 2-3 years, so it's a long term project. They looked good, though! This is in south Anchorage, Rabbit Creek area.

Asparagus is a tricky thing in Alaska. Most places it won't grow and where it will grow it takes a long time to get big enough to harvest. My parents tried for years to get it to grow. They finally got plants to grow and it took about 10 years for them to get big enough to harvest. That was in big lake area, so if you live in a warmer area then it might not take as long.

If you would like to try I sugest you plant them in a sheltered place such as next to a heated building where the ground is slightly warmer.

As for the seeds vs starts. planting seeds will just take a couple years longer to reach harvestable size.