Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Hunt?

Wink Why Hunt?

One of the best things about this forum is being able to see things through other folks eyes, so to speak. Many of us will never get the opportunity to visit the places described. The greatist advantage to me as a hunter is seeing the creation as it really is first hand , and not as some would have us to see it. Most of my hunts turn out to be nothing more that an armed walk in the woods as far as results go. Of couse being in the woods alone at sunset with the moon on the rise, with a slight breeze blowing on you face counts for alot more ,at least with me! Try to put a price on that if you can I can't. I hunt with the bow , gun, shotgun , also handgun , and it does not make a bit of diffrence what i'm carrying as long as i'm out there. One of the best reasons is to put meat on the table, but those that do know that many larger rewards come along with that goal. Many people who oppose hunting have little idea what goes on in the natural world. They have taken the bait and are cought up in a natural world which they want to be, rather than exists. To me they have lost their moorings so to speak , and have drifted away from from the way things really are. The person who took the time to get me started as a hunter is long gone, he is in GOD'S hands now but oh what a gift to leave someone! Alot of posts have spoken about game ranches vs, fair chase , hunting truly wild animals, and I can't help but think that those folks are cheating themselves out of some of the greatist rewards there is to be had in the all outdoors Bill.

Bill i agree,the spirit of hunting is fair chase!Its the thrill of the chase that makes hunting great!People hunting ranches etc are not getting that experience
    And if we are going to keep hunting in the future we must speak for fair chase

Wink

Svehunter,I can't come down on folks who differ, but for me I just would not hunt that way. It holds no attraction for me. Bill

Not for me either

Default reasons i hunt

hello people
    first time post on hunting forum, i have posted on the fishing forum a few times , and have been a member here since pretty much the start..

i am planning a moose\bear hunt for 08, and would like you folks to kind'a get a feel for me before i start hammering you with questions..

first off great thread,
    i am not sure if i can put how i truly feel about why i hunt in text, but i will try..

i started my hunting adventures off when i was very young, i was very fortunate to have a step dad that was a hunter and a great outdoors-man,
    not to mention that he is the greatest mortal man that ever walked this earth in my opinion.

other than the obvious reasons\good friends\good eats\love nature..

i think the main reason i hunt is to get away from the rat race, no tv no radio
    no outside news... and to loose all sense of time, no certain time or place i gott'a be.

it takes a couple of days of hunting to get all that junk out'a my mind but once it does, there is know better feeling in the world, it is amazing how much my hearing/eyesight/sense of smell improves.

at the risk of sounding kind'a lame, i will say this.
    while out hunting i feel like i am a part of nature like i really belong,
    sort'a like i have become part of the mountains i am hunting,
    also i feel a certain amount of kinship to the animal that i am hunting, if that makes any sense..

basically i become an animal myself, for a few short weeks out'a the year. and it seems that there is nothing that comes more naturally to me than hunting

there is much more to it than that, but like i said above, i just can't seem to put my thoughts and feeling into text..

looking forward to getting to know some of you folks on here,& i must say this is the greatest outdoor site i have ever come acrossed..

happy new year everybody hope all your dreams come thru for ya
    tyler
    Last edited by slimm; 01-06-2007 at 06:04. Reason: forgot something i would like to add

Wink Getting started

Tyler, welcome once again you hit the nail on the head, Someone you know took the time to pass on to you somthing he saw valuable ,in your case your stepdad..Time is the most precious thing we have to use. God bless. Bill.

Default thanks for the welcome...

howdy bill
    you are so right time is the most precious thing we have, and there ain't no savings account available for it, so ya gott'a spend what little ya got wisely,
    cause ya never no when yer gonn'a go broke...

thanks for the welcome i sure am looking forward to making new friends here,

i am heading out of town for a few days so i wont be on here for awhile,
    BUT!!!!! when i get back, i am sure i will be on here on a daily basis, trying to gather as much info. as i can for my upcoming hunt in alaska..

have a great weekend everybody
    tyler

LongHunter7, Good topic.

Why do we hunt

Many angles and answers could and do play into that broad question. For me and my own answer - I am stuck in the lower 48, Wisconsin. I have hunted for moose a handfull of times in the last 10 years, both in Alaska and Canuckistan. Me being a married man, coupled with the fact that it costs me mucho bucks where ever I go (nonres), I have tried to come up with a half ass reasonable explanation for my desire, so as to give/justify the little Mrs, as well as answer to myself on the "why". I could never put it into words with any kind of logical or sensable explanation.

Then I read the book called The Bears of Manley. Sounds like a bear story book, but it is not. It is written by a gentleman in Alaska named Sarkis Atamian. In the book he details "why we hunt" or better yet why we have the desire to hunt. In the book he speaks of all humankind and their hunting desires, not just the rich white fellow from "Texas" of todays era. I wont try to make references of his writings, as I'd rather the book speak for itself. It is a must read for any hunter, or better yet a must read for those hunters' wives who just dont get it. BTW, it is good fuel for debating the animal rights whackos, although admitadly one wont get anywhere with those folks in logical debate.

The book should be available throught this site. If not, google it up, I'm sure anyone can find it online somewhere.

I've read it twice now, with more cover to cover reads in the future.

Post Why we hunt answer

A simple answer to that question:Its in our blood, man has hunted as long as man have existed.Its a natural thing

Slimm, you, and all the rest of us humans are ALWAYS a part of nature. At home, at the office, and in the field. Humans don't cross an imaginary line somewhere and enter or leave, "nature".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

hunting completes me...
    in the man my wife married, in the man who worships Jesus Christ, the man that is raising my children, the man gets out of bed and looks out the window, in the man who cries when sheep go down, or misses the brown bear that dies on the river, the man who feels lost when the seasons over, the man who stays awake at night looking at pictures of tundra. when i take in a breath of air that i was given it had better be fresh and have the fragance of nature, the weight of my binoculars around my neck and the smooth brass of a cold shell rolling in my fingers, fall colors, moose in rutt, dall sheep scaling a scree slide, the mountain goat standing proud in the blowing wind, the brown bear dripping with water pulling out of the river, blacktail deer working the ridge line the moment the smoke clears and i've fullfilled what i was meant to do. thats why i hunt.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

No doubt there are deep philosophical reasons each of us could give, but none will answer the question. Sort of like "Why do we breathe?". We do it to live, plain and simple, some sort of involuntary function of my being. I am hunting the entire time I am awake, always looking at the distant hills for animals, looking under every bush for small game. When looking at the sky, I instinctively scan the horizon for flocks of birds, any kind, it don't matter. When I detect a critter, all my sences go on full alert, smell, hearing, touch and sight become totally focused and acute. When I eat a critter, my taste buds savor the delicacy. I cannot pass a track, without attempting to identify its origin and age. I size up every animal I see, and to make it complete, I dream of critters in my sleep. I most of all, it all comes as a gift, I like that, not having to work for it, as it all just sort of seems to happen.

Default I hunt

to maintain my sanity and peace of mind. I can buy meat at the supermarket, but I take pride and self-respect in knowing that I can acquire it for myself from the wild the way people have always done. I need to know that I am more than just a city dwelling briefcase toting family man. Really, I'm a hunter and gatherer fighting to break out of the mold that society has pushed me into.

I need to be in the woods and forest areas to remind myself that the things I worry about and fret over every day are really not as important as they seem. Being close to nature reminds me that not my will but God's will shall be done. It clears my head and helps me put my life and all my concerns in perspective.

Knowing that I have the skills and wherewithal to put meat on the table without standing in line at the grocery store gives me a sense of security that money can't buy. I hunt because hunting is inside of me and if I don't express that, I wouldn't be myself.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Wink

I'll have to say that the nicest people that I run across in life very often turn out to be hunters. And among those the deep woods types are the best. Am I bias?

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    I'll have to say that the nicest people that I run across in life very often turn out to be hunters. And among those the deep woods types are the best. Am I bias?
    Thats happend to me too,a lot of times the nicest people i run across are hunters

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    LongHunter7, you're not biased. I think the type of character who ventures deep into the woods looking for game is really looking for something inside himself as well. People who take the time to examine themselves are less likely to criticize and judge others and as a result, they are easier to get along with. Deep woods hunting requires a kind of self reliance that precludes timid or insecure people from attempting it.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Ditto to all! There is a sense of fulfillment and relief in hunting (even when skunked) that you can't get anywhere else! I think the same applies to fishing (not the combat kind that just stresses you out, I am talking on a boat floating around in the sound!). Its taking part in this creation that God gave us for his glory. And yes BRWNBR that 416 does make your butt look big! ;-)

Cheers!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

dang it...lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I hunt because it is what I can do. I try to use all the abilities that God has given me and hunting is one of them. I don't know if there is hunting in the great here after and if there isn't I don't want to go. I don't want there to be a deer around every tree of a fish on every cast either. So I hunt to challenge my senses and keep them sharp. To keep physically active and to enjoy nature. Hunting does all of that for me. Not to mention I just love being out there.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

Default Why I do:

Personally I like the taking off bit. Hiking around in the middle of nowhere is as a stimulating expierience to me as anything. My last hunt was a skunk but I still enjoyed myself.

I think that most of us on the fourm spend the vast majority of our time in a developed word setting (cars, abundant shelter, ready food, sanitation etc...) so that the situations involved with a real hunt are a novel/refreshing expierience (How will we get to that spot?, Where will we make camp?, Did you see dinner on the other side of that lake?, You forgot the toilet paper? etc.) that is satisfying when accomplished.

Also I can't find the caribou or deer section at Fred Meyer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast