Thread: any favorite .338 Federal loads

Default any favorite .338 Federal loads

Hi all,
    Have finally set up my reloading table and want to get started with this round. Can I hear from all those with experience on reloading the .338 Federal.
    I am shooting a Kimber Montana and would like to get the best possible performance out of the round and the gun.
    Thanks in advance
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Hi all,
    Have finally set up my reloading table and want to get started with this round. Can I hear from all those with experience on reloading the .338 Federal.
    I am shooting a Kimber Montana and would like to get the best possible performance out of the round and the gun.
    Thanks in advance
    Jason
    45 grains of H4895 and a 210 gr Nosler Partition are giving me <MOA at 2550 fps.

If you can get your hands on some IMR 8208 XBR give it a go. It looks to be made for the 338 Federal. It appears to give about 50 fps more velocity that anything else and is suppose to be very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    45 grains of H4895 and a 210 gr Nosler Partition are giving me <MOA at 2550 fps.

If you can get your hands on some IMR 8208 XBR give it a go. It looks to be made for the 338 Federal. It appears to give about 50 fps more velocity that anything else and is suppose to be very accurate.

I've checked around and can't seem to find this to ring true except for possibly the lightest bullets. Hoping you would share your sources for this info?

thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    I've checked around and can't seem to find this to ring true except for possibly the lightest bullets. Hoping you would share your sources for this info?

thanks
    Western Powders Ballistion advised me that X-termiator a close H322 burn rate powder, would be the best choice for my 358win and TAC (a H4895ish powder) as a second choice with 200-225gr bullets. The 338federal will have a slightly less expantion ratio so a slightly slower powder should work fine. Next in the 358win H4895 gets great velocities, I got 2500fps with 200gr and 2430fps with 225gr bullets.

The slowest powder I would try in the 338fed is IMR4064 so IMR 4895/AA2495/TAC/Varget/Benchmark/10X all Should be in the ball park. One other thought is any powder that worked in the 338-06 and a slightly faster powder should be good for 338fed. the 338fed has the same bore to fill but with less powder to work with.

Default xterminator

not at home so cant give you my exact loads but I have been using xterminator lately in my 338 fed. Mine is a Tikka T3 and it shoots everything I have tried very well but the 180 accubonds are incredible. Killed a dall ram at 275 yards with it this year, great round.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Hi all,
    Thanks in advance
    Jason
    I found this for you in the Internet (notice the links with the reloading data right below the headings):
    http://www.gunwalker.com/338federal/data.html

You will have to look for the reloading data at the gun powder manufacturer, but there is a lot of it in there.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the posts all.
    Yukon254 if you get the data you were using I would like to see that.

Default Imr 4064

I also have a .338 Federal in a Kimber M84 Montana. Tried many powders and bullets and it seems to like 45 grains of IMR 4064 with Barnes TSX 185gr bullets, Fed 210 primers, COAL 2,820.

Chronograph says the average velocity is 2575fps at muzzle. Consistent and repeatable groups less than a inch at 200 yards. Killed four deer and two coyotes with this load so far. This load provides 1469 ft lbs of energy at 300 yards.

guess I am keeping the gun.
    Has anyone else used IMR 4064 with any success? I had some pretty good results with 44grns behind the 185 barnes tsx today.
    thanks

Plentycoupe,

Wondering if you tried 45 grains of IMR 4064? I found that the COAL at 2.830 was more accurate but that long of a round wont fit in my Kimber magazine, so that is why I chose 2.820. Any further loads you tried?
    CHAPS

I see we have regenerated this thread. Good.

The newer, unavailable until spring I think, Hodgdon LVR (leverrevolution) powder looks very promising for 210 gr and 225 gr bullets. Hodgdon lists 2600 fps and 2500 fps respectively!

I have 2 lbs on order.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    The slowest powder I would try in the 338fed is IMR4064 so IMR 4895/AA2495/TAC/Varget/Benchmark/10X all Should be in the ball park. One other thought is any powder that worked in the 338-06 and a slightly faster powder should be good for 338fed. the 338fed has the same bore to fill but with less powder to work with.
    Bold mine. I have been very very happy with Varget in .338 Fed from -30dF up to how ever hot it got this summer. With 210gr Sierras I am loading about 1 grain below published max. My groups are not quite as tight as the factory loaded 200gr Barnes bullets, but I have a comparator and see the factory loads are about 020 furrther back from the lands than I have been loading. I don't have quite the factory loaded velocity, but I have enough for moose and I am fine in cold weather.

Been using CCI LR primers because I have scads of them, I fooled with CCI LRM primers a bit below -20dF but it didn't make any noticeable difference. I would be willing to try a hotter primer, but it seems like I have good ignition and complete combustion already.

I have a Sako 85, all my brass is Lake City 07. I bought 1000 pieces of 7.62NATO brass online, sorted by head stamp, kept the biggest pile and sold off the rest.

I am going to try seating a little deeper - back to the factory head to ogive measurement when next I fool with this load. I am getting about 2" at 200 yards now with factory and about 3" at 200 yards with my load. Once my load is down to 2" at 200 yards I'll look into hotter primers and start fooling with the 200gr Barnes bullet.

Accurate 2230 should be an excellent powder for the 210 Nosler Partition, 40 to 44 grains with Fed 215.

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    Bold mine. I have been very very happy with Varget in .338 Fed from -30dF up to how ever hot it got this summer. With 210gr Sierras I am loading about 1 grain below published max. My groups are not quite as tight as the factory loaded 200gr Barnes bullets, but I have a comparator and see the factory loads are about 020 furrther back from the lands than I have been loading. I don't have quite the factory loaded velocity, but I have enough for moose and I am fine in cold weather.Been using CCI LR primers because I have scads of them, I fooled with CCI LRM primers a bit below -20dF but it didn't make any noticeable difference. I would be willing to try a hotter primer, but it seems like I have good ignition and complete combustion already. I have a Sako 85, all my brass is Lake City 07. I bought 1000 pieces of 7.62NATO brass online, sorted by head stamp, kept the biggest pile and sold off the rest. I am going to try seating a little deeper - back to the factory head to ogive measurement when next I fool with this load. I am getting about 2" at 200 yards now with factory and about 3" at 200 yards with my load. Once my load is down to 2" at 200 yards I'll look into hotter primers and start fooling with the 200gr Barnes bullet.
    Just to clarify (even if it is only for me), do you mean the 215 grain Sierra? and Factory loaded 185 grain Barnes?, or is there really a 200 grain factory load that I don't know about?

I have been very happy with varget with 200 gr speer, excellent accuracy and good killer for bear and moose. I have switched, however, to tac. the reason being the increase in velocity, without any sacrifice in accuracy; i got the loading out of handloader magazine and found a similar excellent load for my 358 winchester with 200 grain noslers. the 338 fed is becoming a favorite caliber for me, as with the 358 win it should be more popular especially for handloaders as brass is so easy to make from 308 casings. my ruger hawkeye is exceptionally accurate and pleasant to shoot. i will hunt moose this season with this 338, but my 358 and 9.3x62 are also calling for outdoor attention. happy hunting season to all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Just to clarify (even if it is only for me), do you mean the 215 grain Sierra? and Factory loaded 185 grain Barnes?, or is there really a 200 grain factory load that I don't know about?
    Indeed, I was in error and i think you have it right. Just back from my stock shelf with a scrap of paper. I started with the 200gr Speer's, flat base spire point. They shot well, but I was having trouble getting them seated square. I think these are/were available factory loaded under the Fusion label.

I moved to the Sierra Gameking 215gr spitzer boat tail, Sierra #2610. Fairly inexpensive, seat easier than the flat base Speers, good reputation for a solid wallop.

I am also stocking up on the Barnes TSX boat tail at 210gr, Barnes #33845. They are too expensive for me to just go load some up and hope. I have a sample of five of the Barnes Tipped TSX in .338 @ 210grains, but I don't know the stock number for that part.

FWIW using my Hornady comparator on my Lowe's Depot digital calipers I found case head to ogive lengths on my factory loaded stuff of 2.181" x7, 2.182" x6, 2.183" x5, 2.184" x1 and 2.185" x1. That works out to placing the ogive point near the front of the bullet about .060" off the lands of my rifle, but they group better than 15, 20, 25, and 30 of jump, so I got to go back and try it even though I have settled on a slower powder.

good catch Eastwoods.

swmn, keep us posted on your load work. Good job.