Thread: Homemade Rod turner

Default Homemade Rod turner

I'm wanting to get into building my own rods. Does anyone have a decent set of plans for a homemade rod turner?

I haven't made a rod in years, but I used an electric rotisserie control I picked up at a garage sale for turning the rod.

Default That's what...

I was thinking about using a rotisserie cooker for the dryer. I've got some pieces of wood around the house that I'm going to paly around with tonight. If I'm successful I'll post pics. From looking at the prices online just for the hand wrapper, I'm fairly sure i can build a better one cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I was thinking about using a rotisserie cooker for the dryer. I've got some pieces of wood around the house that I'm going to paly around with tonight. If I'm successful I'll post pics. From looking at the prices online just for the hand wrapper, I'm fairly sure i can build a better one cheaper.
    That's what I had come up with.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

A friend made one out of a rock tumbler turned on its side.

I use a rotissary motor for turning to dry the finish, but it's WAAAAAAAAY too slow for my tastes for wrapping.

I used to build rods commercially in a shop back in the 60's with all the latest motorized gadgets, not much different than you can buy for $300-500 today. Not necessary.

Best I've found for home use is a plain old cardboard box. Cut the flaps off and put a notch in two sides on the top, lining up with about the middle of the box. Cut half or two thirds of one side of the box off, leaving a little shelf or ledge down near the bottom. If I've described this right, what you have left is a box with the front mostly open with a notch for your blank on either side at the top.

Now poke a hole every couple of inches along that shelf at the bottom.

Only other piece of gear you need now is a bobbin from your fly tying kit. Stick the bobbin through whichever of the holes lines up right with the spot your want to wind on the blank. If you need more tension on the bobbin, just take a couple of wraps of thread around one of the arms that holds the spool.

Total build time: 2 minutes.
    Total cost: Nada
    Effectiveness: Unbeatable jerryrig.

Default Started

I started making one last night, right now it's just a hand wrapper, but I'll be watching for the rotisserie motor this spring at the garage sales. Good idea on the shelf with holes. I'll have to fashion something along those lines.

You can get sewing machine motors with variable speed control off of e-bay for ~$30. You'll have to get a couple of pulleys and a drive belt, then make up the bed and rollers.

Once I find some free time, I'll be making one up. You can also look up rod lathes on e-bay to get some ideas of how folks make them.

Default Right now

Right now I'll be looking for anything with a slow turning electric motor. Until I really get into it, I'll be hand wrapping all my rods. If I ever get into serious production I'll have to look at something a little more high speed.

For the dryer I used a mirror ball motor. You can probably find them online for $20. I think I saw some setups on ebay for about that much. I used a PVC can and three plastic bolts as a chuck. I'll look to see if I can posts some pics by the weekend.

OP1

Default Gittin'er Done

Got the main part of the hand wrapper done.

I added a shelf at the bottom with some slots per BrownBear's suggestion. I've got my first blanks on order so I'll let you know how it works.

I made the base out of red oak to add some weight.