Thread: Trip Insurance Question

Default Trip Insurance Question

We'll be going on a float hunt this fall and was wondering how many of you guys and gal get trip insurance for this kind of trip? And who do you get your insurance through?

Hopefully I would want to cover all transportation-to and from the field, cancellations, equipment repairs and/or replacement costs, etc.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    We'll be going on a float hunt this fall and was wondering how many of you guys and gal get trip insurance for this kind of trip? And who do you get your insurance through?

Hopefully I would want to cover all transportation-to and from the field, cancellations, equipment repairs and/or replacement costs, etc.

Most float trips (unless commercial) likely run the risks without considering a wilderness/recreational based travel insurance policy.

Here's a couple of things - food for thought.

Let's say a scenario of some emergency evac takes place... sort of a calls for help on a SAT phone, location beacon etc.

Chances are pretty good a government-entity --- fed, state, borough/city type response will be involved. You may receive a big bill you may not.

Now your needing hospital time, physician expertise, maybe patch ya up supplies with some good medications. Likely all very expensive... and will leave you in suspense (worry) of exactly what you insurance policy really covers. In addition how about the getting back home part... wheelchairs, 1st class ticket with assistance... on & on

Perchance all are on float are evacuated by private operation. Helicopter will be $1000+ per hour of flight.

Possibly boats and all gear are left unattended in the field. Susceptible to late fall weather changes, animals free-for-all, contingency logistics, plus expense to either get it out, pay for it all in full replacement value, not to mention a could be fine for leaving it out there for whatsoever the reason.

So yes... very good question! Reality here is in a worst case scenario you are close to bankrupt overnight. Credit cards maxed and overdraft chasing it. A risk most do indeed assume on a float trip in Alaska --- fortunately most do not end with this outcome.

Generally speaking $150-250 per day spent on this kind of travel coverage is ballpark. I can share contacts that are professionals in this particular field. Best you talk with them direct... PM and I'll send you the contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    This is a really good question.

Most float trips (unless commercial) likely run the risks without considering a wilderness/recreational based travel insurance policy.

Here's a couple of things - food for thought.

Let's say a scenario of some emergency evac takes place... sort of a calls for help on a SAT phone, location beacon etc.

Chances are pretty good a government-entity --- fed, state, borough/city type response will be involved. You may receive a big bill you may not.

Now your needing hospital time, physician expertise, maybe patch ya up supplies with some good medications. Likely all very expensive... and will leave you in suspense (worry) of exactly what you insurance policy really covers. In addition how about the getting back home part... wheelchairs, 1st class ticket with assistance... on & on

Perchance all are on float are evacuated by private operation. Helicopter will be $1000+ per hour of flight.

Possibly boats and all gear are left unattended in the field. Susceptible to late fall weather changes, animals free-for-all, contingency logistics, plus expense to either get it out, pay for it all in full replacement value, not to mention a could be fine for leaving it out there for whatsoever the reason.

So yes... very good question! Reality here is in a worst case scenario you are close to bankrupt overnight. Credit cards maxed and overdraft chasing it. A risk most do indeed assume on a float trip in Alaska --- fortunately most do not end with this outcome.

Generally speaking $150-250 per day spent on this kind of travel coverage is ballpark. I can share contacts that are professionals in this particular field. Best you talk with them direct... PM and I'll send you the contact info.
    PM'd. Thanks

Check out the AIG "Sportsmans" policy. Got one for a float a few years back and it covered medivac, $5,000 per person in lost luggage, etc.. Cost us about $130 each from what I recall.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Check out the AIG "Sportsmans" policy. Got one for a float a few years back and it covered medivac, $5,000 per person in lost luggage, etc.. Cost us about $130 each from what I recall.
    Thanks Dan, I'm also looking at it covering the rental gear, have any idea on that one?

Sorry, sure don't man. Never rented anything before. The fine print is a pain in the ass, consider emailing that question and saving the reply for future reference.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Sorry, sure don't man. Never rented anything before. The fine print is a pain in the ass, consider emailing that question and saving the reply for future reference.
    Yeah, I went online and couldn't tell from their site. I'll probably give them a call or email.

thanks
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-15-2010 at 18:48. Reason: edited

Kingfisher, you may want to also check and see if gear rented on a credit card is covered by the card co.

I know we have rented vehicles in the past and the particular card we used had the insurance coverage required for the vehicle....

Might be worth a shot.

As to trip insurance, get it. Much like the 12 ga. in camp it may be a pain to carry, you may never need it...But when you do, you will be prepared.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Kingfisher, you may want to also check and see if gear rented on a credit card is covered by the card co.

I know we have rented vehicles in the past and the particular card we used had the insurance coverage required for the vehicle....

Might be worth a shot.

As to trip insurance, get it. Much like the 12 ga. in camp it may be a pain to carry, you may never need it...But when you do, you will be prepared.....
    Thanks, I'm definitely going to get trip insurance, it's the rental equipment question I'm trying to settle.

What all are you renting that you are concerned about, and from whom are you renting it?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

PM on its way.

Default here ya go

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post

Not sure about all that, but, what people do get sometimes is medical evacuation insurance that not only gets you out of the bush, but to the lower 48 for treatment near your home, as needed. Some companies do cover this sort of activity, while others do not; I remember arranging this for an overseas skiing trip - and there are various exclusions - a relative referred me to one company and I bought that one (it was ~$6 a day) - can't remember the name. But what I do recall is comparing policies, and seeing that skiing, hunting, off-road vehicles, and/or wilderness activities were excluded activities, depending on the insurance company. You will have to check and know in advance, in writing, that your activities are covered, and not excluded.

There are companies that charge by the day, I'm thinking less than $10/day per person, for something like several $100,000 or so of coverage, while others have their own jet fleet and annual policies for people who do this alot (the name "medivac" wrings a bell). AIG is one company, as someone else posted. There are many. There is also a link on this forum to one person who solo'd a first-time float trip at age 65 down a shallow creek, got stranded, sick - and got pulled out:

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/hypothermia.htm

He includes a link to the company he used, travelguard, and the link still works and they do cover rafting and other "active travel" activities, as they call it. Anyway, it was about $100 for 2 weeks - and that's one person who used it.

Anyway, google "medical evacuation insurance" and you will find options. Some medical plans already provide evacuation coverage, while others do not, or only do so in the continental united states. There are also some public services, like the coast guard, that do such evacuations; I'm not sure if they charge - or what they charge.

Thanks......

A friend of mine is hunting caribou out of Kotzebue this fall and purchased trip insurance through Cabelas. The particular package he purchased for around $200 for about a week seemed best tailored for his situation where he is booking with an outfitter and he is covered if weird things happen. It seemed less than ideal for a do-it-yourself hunt, especially if you have already paid some deposits because those were only covered for a certain period. I'm gonna chance it this fall...hope I don't regret it!

Default Spot

Not sure why you are asking about the insureance. Meaning to insure the equipment or cancelation or if it's for medavac.

Brian - not sure if you are using Loyds of london but that is absolutely crazy for what you were quoted.

If you buy a Spot they offer rescue insurance at the time of purchase that was something like 10 bucks and it covers you for some rediculious amount, I just don't remember how much but it's more than enough. My understanding is that you only get one chance to get it when you first buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Not sure why you are asking about the insureance. Meaning to insure the equipment or cancelation or if it's for medavac.

Brian - not sure if you are using Loyds of london but that is absolutely crazy for what you were quoted.

If you buy a Spot they offer rescue insurance at the time of purchase that was something like 10 bucks and it covers you for some rediculious amount, I just don't remember how much but it's more than enough. My understanding is that you only get one chance to get it when you first buy it.
    This all started with wanting to insure the equipment, but I might expand that.

Are you talking about trip cancellation insurance?

I looked into trip insurance and got a quote through USAA, they don't write that particular type of insurance but they have somebody they work with

I was insuring $1500 worth of potential lost deposits and the cost was $80

It was solely a function of how much risk you were trying to insure.

btw, If you have EVER been in the military you are now eligible to obtain USAA insurance

This is probably the best and lowest cost covereage you can get for your auto insurance. I know people who ask to "let us give you a quote", when they hear you have USAA insurance they then say "never mind, not gonna waste my time"

my son was an insurance agent down in WA and basically his job was to refer people to the best insurance for their particular situation , he told me hands down no ifs ands or butts about it, USAA

requirements to get this insurance used to be much more stringent, i.e. you had to have gotten it when you were on AD or within so many months of separating or retiring

now if you have an honorable discharge for any type/length of service you are eligible (my understanding)

I told a freind of mine who was retired but hadn't signed up "in time" and he got a quote and saved $600 a year

I have ZERO affiliation with USAA other than being a policy holder but I honestly believe this is a good deal for anybody who has ever served and will almost undoubtedly save you money

Quote Originally Posted by gottago View Post
    Are you talking about trip cancellation insurance?

I looked into trip insurance and got a quote through USAA, they don't write that particular type of insurance but they have somebody they work with

I was insuring $1500 worth of potential lost deposits and the cost was $80

It was solely a function of how much risk you were trying to insure.

btw, If you have EVER been in the military you are now eligible to obtain USAA insurance

This is probably the best and lowest cost covereage you can get for your auto insurance. I know people who ask to "let us give you a quote", when they hear you have USAA insurance they then say "never mind, not gonna waste my time"

my son was an insurance agent down in WA and basically his job was to refer people to the best insurance for their particular situation , he told me hands down no ifs ands or butts about it, USAA

requirements to get this insurance used to be much more stringent, i.e. you had to have gotten it when you were on AD or within so many months of separating or retiring

now if you have an honorable discharge for any type/length of service you are eligible (my understanding)

I told a freind of mine who was retired but hadn't signed up "in time" and he got a quote and saved $600 a year

I have ZERO affiliation with USAA other than being a policy holder but I honestly believe this is a good deal for anybody who has ever served and will almost undoubtedly save you money

Good info on the USAA, I'll have to check that out. I'm looking for an all inclusive coverage, something that might cover travel, medical flights and equipment replacement or repair costs.

thanks