Thread: Leupold scope color?

Default Leupold scope color?

I have a rather minor, but puzzling question. I recently acquired a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun in Stainless Steel. What color Leupold scope would be the best match for this rifle? It appears to me that the silver Leupold scopes might be a little too light in color, maybe a better match for a satin-chrome finish rifle. The Leupold Gun Metal Grey at first looks to be closer in color, at least from my computer monitor. But itís often risky to judge colors from the screen, and I havenít found a gray scope in a store yet to do a comparison. Anyone have any thoughts?

Default nuke

I tried a silver and I thought it was a bit much - I ended up with the std Leupy in black and like it. I attacked a pic from a camera phone - not best pic but best I had access to today....
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plain black would look fine but you may ahve a tuffer time matching silver base and rings to your gun like I did with an Omaga SS, The alu-silver base, a silver burrisZ-ings and the gun are three different silvers. The black scope is just fine if I did it over I would use black z-rings the silver is nickle plated. The weaver base is sand blased alu.

If the scope rings and base all match (silver) should be fine even if the gun's SS is diferent.

Both good points! I have considered this too, if the rings and scope are different it might start to look odd. Maybe the regular matte black is the way to go after all, especially condsidering that the XS scope rail and sights are already black.

Here are a few photos of my guide gun.

Good luck with your new rifle, I'm really happy with mine.

Steve

I've got the silver 2.5 scout on my SS guide-gun, and the slight difference in shade doesn't bother me one bit, but I think Matte Black would look very nice as well.
    -J

PS- Sorry about the fuzzy pic.
    Last edited by jay51; 03-15-2010 at 10:49. Reason: fuzzy was the picture

I ended up putting a silver leupold on my ss boat paddle M77, it matches...but its like walking around with a giant signal mirror. I am going to get the barrel and action duracoated, a long with the scope.

I never understood why Marlin did not bead blast their SS guns. That would be cool looking with the walnut.

Thanks for the photos everyone! Looks like I'll probably stick with the good old black matte. Shown is an older Leupold Vari-X 3, but I'm planning on mounting a FX-II Scout at some point. It actually looks pretty good with the darker color laminate stock.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke View Post
    It appears to me that the silver Leupold scopes might be a little too light in color, maybe a better match for a satin-chrome finish rifle. The Leupold Gun Metal Grey at first looks to be closer in color, at least from my computer monitor.
    The color you have mentioned is an exact match for the barrel coating on the Ruger Target rifles. Find this rifle in your area and take a look at the barrel coating, it's not raw stainless.

http://www.ruger.com/products/m77Mar...et/models.html

The rifle in the link is the 2010 model. The previous years have a tan stock and a gray coating on the barrel. I have one in .204 Ruger, sorry no pics but the color is dead on.

Thumbs up Sharp!

That is one sharp-looking set-up Nuke, I like it!
    -J

Unhappy Similar issue

I'm having difficulty finding a Silver/Nickel/Stainless finish scope for my BLR in 358Win. There are very few options if you're looking for a low power zoom.

It seems that no one makes a decent 1-5 or 2-7 x 32mm scope in silver.

With the pepper laminate or black synthetic stocks, the matte black scope/stainless gun combo works well. But with the Browning walnut stock there is too much conflict. I'd rather not put a bulky 3-9x40 on this. The closest I have found is the Weaver V-Classic in 2-10x38 but I'm afraid this will be too large and I've been told the eye releif on these is very tight.

Yeah,yeah, it's a gun. I know. Nonetheless, I appreciate a sharp looking rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I'm having difficulty finding a Silver/Nickel/Stainless finish scope for my BLR in 358Win. There are very few options if you're looking for a low power zoom.

It seems that no one makes a decent 1-5 or 2-7 x 32mm scope in silver.

With the pepper laminate or black synthetic stocks, the matte black scope/stainless gun combo works well. But with the Browning walnut stock there is too much conflict. I'd rather not put a bulky 3-9x40 on this. The closest I have found is the Weaver V-Classic in 2-10x38 but I'm afraid this will be too large and I've been told the eye releif on these is very tight.

Yeah,yeah, it's a gun. I know. Nonetheless, I appreciate a sharp looking rifle.
    Leupold has a 3x9X33 Ultralight scope in matte silver. It weighs under 9 ounces and is an excellent all around scope. Eye relief is a little short at 9X (3 inches) but you have more than 4 inches of non critical eye relief at 3X. It's worth a look.

Yeah, been looking at the Compact Leup. Rather have a lower magnification for the low end and paying $350 for VX-II glass is giving me the heebie-jeebies. Otherwise it's the profile that I'm looking for. Been tossing this scope and a Bush 3200 in 3-9x40 around.

I'm of the opinion that they are comparable in quality. One is $150 less with rainguard but larger than I want and the other is sized right but $100-150 overpriced.

Wish I had researched this prior to pulling the trigger on a stainless BLR.

Thanks for your advice, this will probably be my selection.

I have a couple of old K series Weavers that I love. I put one on my new Ruger 338 Federal and that gloss black on dark satin stainless looked hideous!

My 30 year plus coyote hunting buddy happens to own a body shop! He stuck the gun under some gadget that prints out a color number and then he mixed a small batch of that paint while I was taping up the scope lenses. He painted the scope with three fine coats and when dry it matched the rifle's metal perfectly. While we were at it I squirted some of that paint on a jack handle. After drying I tapped the jack handle on the vice to see how tough the paint was. I had to smack it pretty hard in order to mar the finish. In fact harder than I have ever smacked a scope on any thing. If the three coats of paint added any thickness to the scope it sure wasn't noticeable when I mounted it back on the rifle.

For anyones information the silver/stainless scopes from all manufactures are just colored paint from the factory and not as tough as auto paint!

For that matter Krylon makes a metal finish silver paint in a can that I have used on some cheap scopes. Its almost as tough as the auto paint and a whole lot less complicated to use than an air gun/compressor set up!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

EKC:

Those guys who do body work are truly amazing, in what they can do. Not only that, they can make good money anywhere there are lots of cars. Watta trade.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Maybe the OC Chopper guys should start doing rifle scopes!

Quote Originally Posted by nuke View Post
    Maybe the OC Chopper guys should start doing rifle scopes!
    From the looks of the paint jobs on some of the 22's at the rimfire shoots I'd say they'd fit right in!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    EKC:

Those guys who do body work are truly amazing, in what they can do. Not only that, they can make good money anywhere there are lots of cars. Watta trade.

Smitty of the North
    Yup and I bet that even Schmidt & Bender don't use paint that costs $160 a quart!