Thread: where to camp in Kodiak

Default where to camp in Kodiak

last years trip was counseled but this year I am heading to Kodiak the first week of September to catch some Silvers look for deer and do some camping. I am wandering if some one has some info on other places to camp. I have a pop-up that I will be taking. I know the state parks but are there some private campgrounds that I have not found?

Buskin River or anywhere there is a pull off.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

You can camp pretty much anywhere. Just remember that recently a lot of land has been privatized to lesnoi and they are vigalante so if your camping on their land youll pay a fee. Also a lot of areas that used to be free to hunt are now lesnoi land so make sure you get some maps and know which land is which

Hah, what the f*** would you know about Kodiak???

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Are you a veteran?

If so, there is a dandy campground on the road system. Keyword search Kodiak Island VFW and you will find it.

Buskin, Pasagshak, and Ft. Abercrombie are all state parks open for public use.

There are lots of other free non-campground opportunities on the roadway system. Contact the Vistors Bureau to examine changes and what is up to date. ( http://www.kodiak.org)

Great destination. I doubt if you will be dissapointed...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

For those that helped me out thank you. The forum is for people that want to help and you did a good job.

Hah, what the f*** would you know about Kodiak???

danattherock, why do you post if all you want to do is blow hot air. It's a waste of my time to read your responses and a waste of your time to type it.
    You should ask your self what you know about Kodiak, must not be much if that is all you can come up with.

First of all, my gut instinct is telling me that danattherock was directing that comment at akpm - there's some history we need not delve into. Best just to ignore them all around.

Ironically, akpm summed it up pretty nicely - It's pretty much been the case on Kodiak for some time that anywhere you can find to pull your camper off the road is a good spot to camp. As Bernard mentioned there's also abercrombie, buskin and pasagshak state parks - but it sounds like you're already all over that.

Now as kodiak commando mentioned, Lesnoi Inc. (aka Woody Island Natives) have recently decided to mind that people use their land. Unfortunately, a lot of their land includes a lot of the road system. I don't know how, but supposedly there's a way to get an access permit (for some $$$).

There are also several easements allowing public use on trails and some campgrounds (without paying the $$$). If you go to this website, there are several maps that show native (Lesnoi) properties, as well as public use easements for trails and campsites. It soundsl like you're planning to stay on the road system, in which case the Kodiak D2, C1, C2, C3, B1/B2 are where I'd start. As you'll see there are several "campsites" you could pull into.
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/e...k/indexmap.htm

The above map index is accessed through
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/easmtatlas/kodiak/

The good news is what's not native is almost all state land. There's of course some private in areas, but it's usually pretty obvious.

Also, this website is a bit more advanced, but also has good info.
    http://sdms.ak.blm.gov/sdms/
    Click on SDMS Land & Resources Map Interface.
    Zoom in on Kodiak.
    On the right hand side, check "Village Lands" under Land Status. This turns on an overlay of native lands.
    Check one of the two "Quads" under Physical Land Features. This turns on the USGS map.
    Hit Refresh at the bottom.
    Play around - lots of good info through the map interface.

For what it's worth regarding the Lesnoi property, you could probably try to sneak by here and there - but getting caught and forced to pay may tarnish your trip a bit. Something to keep in mind.

Honestly if it were me, I'd pretty much be camped out near Pasagshak somewhere just about every night. Just stunningly beautiful. And you're south of the native land.

Good luck with planning your trip and ask more questions if you have them.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Little Dave,

Good recommendations by most of the posts, and the camps mentioned each have their own beauty. Don't forget to come prepared to properly handle your food and trash. Bears visit the campgrounds too.

Shucks, I live about 1/2 mile outside the city limits and a bear left a big warm deposit in my walkway that goes down to my fire pit. Rude neighbor!

Enjoy your visit.

Mike

Thanks I will be looking into those sites more tomorrow

I think dantherock was being sarcastic towards me ( hence the green smiley face) and didn't mean any harm, just being a smartass in a friendly way.

I hope he wasn't being serious towards akpm becauses althought i disagree with akpm frequently he has spend time on the kodiak road sytem and his post is pretty dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak Commando View Post

I think dantherock was being sarcastic ... just being a smartass in a friendly way.

I hope he wasn't being serious towards akpm...

And you would be right on both of course

Dave,

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    For other uses, see Wink (disambiguation).

A man winking with his right eyeA wink is a facial expression made by briefly closing one eye.[1] A wink is an informal mode of communication usually signalling, depending on context, sexual attraction or shared hidden knowledge or intent.

Contents [hide]
    1 General overview and meanings
    1.1 Single wink
    1.2 Double wink ("wink wink")
    1.3 Both eyes (bat/flutter)
    2 Cultural specific differences
    2.1 The West
    2.2 Latin America
    2.3 Asia
    2.4 Africa
    3 Noted examples
    4 Physiological ability
    5 Abnormalities
    6 See also
    7 References

[edit] General overview and meanings
    [2]Winking is one of the more subtle gestures, usually involving eye contact between those involved. In most cases it is only meant to be known by the sender and their intended receiver(s), but in some cases can be more exaggerated.

[edit] Single wink
    A single wink usually implies an interest from the sender to the receiver, but could also be used to show some sort of otherwise acknowledgment or approval.

Sexual/Flirting:
    In some cultures it is usually a sexual interest, or flirtatious manner, during momentary eye contact. This is often followed by a smile, and usually a smile from the receiver, if it is accepted/approved, or combined with blushing if they are embarrassed.

Friendship/Acknowledgment:
    In others cultures it is just a sign of friendship or acknowledgment, and could be comparable to "waving a hand" or a "head nod".

Approval/Comfort:
    It could also be used to express agreement or approval, similar to that of a "thumbs up", or could be used to express to another an understanding (of what they are saying or feeling), sympathy, humor, or to try and put the receiver at ease if they look nervous or uncomfortable.

[edit] Double wink ("wink wink")
    Two winks in a row often was used by the sender as a subtle way to imply something said by the sender, immediately beforehand, was "sneaky", "tricky", "misleading", or "untrue" to the receiver. This, in time, went from a subtle body gesture, to an ironically not subtle expression of vocally saying "wink wink" while winking, or sometimes while not even winking at all.

[edit] Both eyes (bat/flutter)
    To close and open, or "wink", both eyes is usually an involuntary action known as a "blink". Though if done intentionally, in a particular way (such as once slowly or a few times in a row quickly), while giving a sweet or suggestive look with the eyes, often with the head tilted or at an angle in combination with the shoulders, is know as to "bat an eyelash", "bat/batting eyelashes", or "flutter/fluttering eyelashes". This is most commonly done by girls, as a way of flirting, showing interest, or in an attempt to persuade the receiver (usually a gullible male) to get what they want.

[edit] Cultural specific differences
    This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this section if you can. (November 2009)

[edit] The West
    In Western culture, it may be used to communicate sexual intentions, ranging from flirtation to an explicit invitation.

[edit] Latin America
    In Latin American cultures, winking may also be a romantic or sexual invitation.[3]

Additionally, in Puerto Rico, winking can also be used as a way of letting someone else know that the person winking is telling a third person a lie (e.g. a mother tells her kid that the kid won't get an injection at the doctor's office, and she then winks at the kid's sibling, the sibling thus knows the mother is lying to her kid).

[edit] Asia
    In many[clarification needed] Asian countries, winking may be seen as an offensive gesture.

However, it must be noted that winking in the Indian subcontinent often has similar connotations as in the West—a naughty "come on" by a girl to a boy or vice versa. In other instances, the gesture is used to signal an "inside" joke, a sly gesture shared between two people privately, unbeknownst to those around them, as in a social gathering.

[4].

When Frederick Spencer Chapman was training Chinese guerillas in Malaya to shoot rifles, he found that a large proportion of them were unable to close only one eye at a time.[5]

[edit] Africa
    Nigerian adults may wink to signal children to leave the room[3][6].

[edit] Noted examples
    In the famous Monty Python sketch Nudge Nudge, a younger man nervously inquires an older gentleman about sex through innuendo, reiterating the phrase "nudge nudge wink wink" after his questions in an attempt to indicate that his innocent-sounding questions are intended to be of a sexual nature.
    In the 2004 science fiction movie, I, Robot, a robot named Sonny learns to wink, using it as a gesture of trust to Detective Spooner (Will Smith).[7]
    During a Quarter Final match of the 2006 World Cup between England and Portugal, Wayne Rooney was sent off, largely due to an impassioned argument from Cristiano Ronaldo[8]. After Rooney's sending off, Ronaldo was caught on camera winking to the Portuguese bench. This received widespread criticism from the English press, who largely saw it as a sign of conspiracy from the Portuguese player[9].
    During the 2008 United States vice-presidential debate, Republican candidate Sarah Palin winked at the audience several times. Her behaviour was considered to be highly unusual in the context of a formal political debate and received considerable media attention. While some conservative pundits defended Palin[10], many commentators and voters were critical of and even offended by her conduct.[11]
    In onlline dating a 'wink' is a way of communicating approval of another member (sometimes from a non-member) without sending email. It is used at sites such as Match.com
    [edit] Physiological ability
    Not all humans are able to wink voluntarily, and some can only wink one (usually the non-dominant) eye. Others are far better at winking one eye and find it awkward to wink the other.

[edit] Abnormalities
    Some people, especially children and adolescents, show a habit of winking involuntarily under stress, often without their own knowledge. It is considered a symptom of Tourette Syndrome.

[edit] See also
    Body language
    Blink
    Face
    Look up wink in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
    Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Winking

[edit] References
    1.^ http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wink
    2.^ http://able2know.org/topic/38829-1
    3.^ a b "Non-verbal communication". http://erc.msh.org/mainpage.cfm?file...nguage=English. Retrieved 2008-02-04.
    4.^ Sarah Palin's wink, LA Times
    5.^ Frederick Spencer Chapman. The Jungle is Neutral
    6.^ http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...palins-wi.html
    7.^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0343818/
    8.^ "Ronaldo: I put my country first", Evening Standard, accessed 2009-28-12
    9.^ Ladyman, Ian, "Get lost Ronaldo!", The Daily Mail, accessed 2009/28/12
    10.^ http://news.aol.com/political-machin...lin-wink-wink/
    11.^ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marlen..._b_131642.html
    Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wink"
    Categories: Facial expressions
    Hidden categories: Articles needing cleanup from November 2009 | All pages needing cleanup | Wikipedia articles needing clarification from October 2009Views
    ArticleDiscussionEdit this pageHistoryPersonal tools
    Try BetaLog in / create accountNavigation
    Main page
    Contents
    Featured content
    Current events
    Random article
    Search
    Interaction
    About Wikipedia
    Community portal
    Recent changes
    Contact Wikipedia
    Donate to Wikipedia
    Help
    Toolbox
    What links here
    Related changes
    Upload file
    Special pages
    Printable version
    Permanent link
    Cite this page
    Languages
    Brezhoneg
    Español
    فارسی
    Français
    עברית
    Suomi
    This page was last modified on 1 March 2010 at 06:26.
    Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details.
    Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
    Contact usPrivacy policyAbout WikipediaDisclaimers

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Right place/Right time

I have been in numerous locations on the American River in Kodiak chasing fish when Sitka deer have presented themselves as targets.

Many locals take advantage of the season and surf and turf through their island days.

Kodiak is a great location to double your fun; several years ago I advised a MI fisherman/hunter to give it a try and he scored on both...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    And you would be right on both of course

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    For other uses, see Wink (disambiguation).
    Well if you want to get technical, Dan... you're first post wasn't a wink. More of a big grin. Which could be construed to be an evil big grin.

As for akpm's post... I guess I just assumed you'd been hanging around your boyfriend chuck too much and that friendly feud was rubbing off on you. Speaking of which...never mind...that's going too far.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default wyo2AK

One thing to watrch out for on the BLM SDMS site is it is all raster data to the section level.
    What that means is if they has transfered ANY part of a section to state, or native corp. it will show the entire section as having been transfered.

OK, OK, I apologize for the jump to conclusion; I did not see the smiley face.

thanks for the help. I have looked at the web sites and appreciate it vary much.

I like the idea of looking for some deer wile there. does anyone know where to start walking from the rd. Looks like there is a trail on the far side of the beach that goes into the mt at Pasagshak is that open to the public?

There are lots of good trails that u can ask about at a place like macks.

However they are good for a reason, lots of people hunt them!

The good news is most people wait till october because of the thinned out brush and the deer move to lower elevations.

August and early september deer hunting here involve 2 things that can suck to varying degrees depending on what kind of shape you are in, lots of bushwacking ( even on some of the better trails) and getting up high. Most deer that part of year are in the same areas as mountain goats especially if it's hot and/or the bugs are bad.

Thanks I dont mind a long hike

Anyone else got any ideas? Surely there is more places to camp on an island this size. If you don't want to share here, shoot little dave a PM.

Anyone else got any ideas? Surely there is more places to camp on an island this size. If you don't want to share here, shoot little dave a PM.
    Yeah the island is big but seems like little dave is talking about the road sytem which is where 95 percent of the people live but only covers 5 percent of the island. The furthest the road goes from town is south and it's about 41 miles and to the north half that. anywhere off the road system involves a boat or plane

Default Gettin Tricky ?

I honestly don't know about this, I posted an update on the Leisnoi position a few days back from the Kodiak Daily Mirror (it's not a pretty read, titles "Kodiak Access update on Leisnoi)and it looks like it's gettin tricky to just pull over. Otherwise I would say just anywhere you want with your pop-up camper, be cool with your fire pit and you're good to go...but these days???

I camp on the boat which gives full access to anywhere so don't have a good answer to help this guy out. Others have been mentioned, Buskin River, looks good (do they have to pay now?) there are a lot of pull over areas and I have a feeling you could get away with camping anywhere but maybe you could call F&G in town and see what they say