Thread: Vertical shoulder holster for 4 inch RH

Default Vertical shoulder holster for 4 inch RH

If any of you have any suggestions for a good vertical shoulder holster for a 4 inch Red Hawk, I'd sure appreciate the referral. The man that makes all my custom holsters has retired finally.

Simply Rugged makes a nice pancake holster with three slots for strong side or crossdraw. I have one for my 4" Redhawk. He makes a harness as well called a chesty puller. I carry the redhawk strongside threaded in my pants belt so I always have it. I carrys very nice. I'll probably order the harness one of these days. I've got 2 friends the like them. Keeps it handy when wearing chest waders.

http://www.simplyrugged.com/store/chesty_puller.html

I just ordered a bandoleer type holster for my scoped SBH Hunter from Von Ringler in WY. Here is a thread with some explanation and pics. He custom makes each holster for the specific gun. I sent him measurements, a tracing and a bunch of pics. It may or may not be what you are looking for. He can make one for your RH. Of course it would be smaller.

http://www.ringlercustomleather.com/

Thread I started with more pics.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...hlight=wyoming

I will second the Simply Rugged suggestion. I too, have one for my 4" RH. Nice gear.

I'm always looking for the "perfect" holster, as such I own both the Simply Rugged and Ringler holsters for my 4" Redhawk.

Quality on both is excellent.

The problem I've run into is that I'm a small guy and the Redhawk is large on my hip. For whatever reason Chesty Puller system didn't work out as well for me as the Ringler.

I use the Ringler on an almost daily basis and have been very happy. I prefer that setup while in the saddle as well as hiking. I didn't like the exposed hammer and open trigger so I had Von put a hammer thong on in case, in some freak accident, the trigger was pulled (branch, saddle rigging, who knows?).

You could consider an El Paso Saddlery "tanker" holster as well. I don't have one but considered them while looking for a rig.

Billy

Thanks for the respones so far. I've never used the chest holsters, so I dont know if I would like them. I carry a medium sized back pack almost everywhere I hike and the vertical shoulder holsters are perfectly compatible with back packs. hip holsters are a no-go with me when I'm wearing a pack.

I carry a Galco Horizontal shoulder-holster that fits my 4inch Redhawk and my 625, works well with a pack for me, I believe they also have a vertical component holster for their shoulder holsters as well.
    Good Luck,
    -J

I don't like a true vertical, they are ether too hard to draw from or don't protect and hold the gun that well. I like them canted forward at almost 45* so the pull is a more natrila movement. Most of the pancake setups like Simply Ruged can do this but the straps are not that wonderfull to weir all day long. The Dimond-D Guides Choice chest holster can also be ajusted around almost under the arm, cants forward, has nuch better strap design, is very comfortable, and easy to put on and off. IMHO it’s the best total unit out there in a reasonable price range.
    http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm going to get the Ringler for my 329pd

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I don't like a true vertical, they are ether too hard to draw from or don't protect and hold the gun that well. I like them canted forward at almost 45* so the pull is a more natrila movement.
    My breakfront shoulder holster has a built in pivot so it rotates to 45 degrees for the draw. It would be difficult without out it.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

I ordered a Ringler yesterday based on commments here. It's a $200.00 gamble as I wont use it if I dont like it.

Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    I ordered a Ringler yesterday based on commments here. It's a $200.00 gamble as I wont use it if I dont like it.

Thanks for all the input.
    I guess I'm not the only AOD guinea pig then! I have talked with a few other guys online who say they like them. What got me interested was running in to a guy at a gunshow last month. He said it took him year to find a holster he liked and the WY Combo fit the bill. He says the wrap around design of it keeps it secure and comfortable. I guess we'll find out.