A friend just had his cabin burn down do to some kind of issue with the woodstove. (He wasnt there to see what actually happened) It could have been a variety of things, but certainly, a chimney fire is one of the potential considerations.
My Mom has put out a couple chimney fires over the years with her "bombs", all my geowing hears I remember them sitting right beside the woodstove in the kindling box where they'd be handy if ever needed.
I know my buddy didnt have any of these by his stove, I wonder if the folks at the cabin might have seen them and used one had they been there, and I firmly believe they'd have put out the fire promptly regardless of the cause.
I'm not advertising or anything, but I did a fast google search and came up with this link... it was the first one I found who will ship to alaska. At least it gives you a start on searching for some on the web, or locally. I;m sure you can find something like this at Northland Heat or Central Plumbings fireplace side... or maybe even Costco.
I believe that if you have a fireplace or woodstove in your home or cabin you ought to have some of these staed nearby and educate your wife and kiddos as to how to use them in case things get out of control.
My friend is very lucky that the fire was detected prior to everyone being inside and sleeping. But sure bummed about the loss of his hard work and monetary investment. We can all imagine how bad it must suck going back to a tent once you've had a cabin!
It seemed worthwhile to mention as a reminder.