Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Reminder about Chimney Fires...

  1. #1
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default Reminder about Chimney Fires...

    A friend just had his cabin burn down do to some kind of issue with the woodstove. (He wasnt there to see what actually happened) It could have been a variety of things, but certainly, a chimney fire is one of the potential considerations.

    My Mom has put out a couple chimney fires over the years with her "bombs", all my geowing hears I remember them sitting right beside the woodstove in the kindling box where they'd be handy if ever needed.

    I know my buddy didnt have any of these by his stove, I wonder if the folks at the cabin might have seen them and used one had they been there, and I firmly believe they'd have put out the fire promptly regardless of the cause.

    I'm not advertising or anything, but I did a fast google search and came up with this link... it was the first one I found who will ship to alaska. At least it gives you a start on searching for some on the web, or locally. I;m sure you can find something like this at Northland Heat or Central Plumbings fireplace side... or maybe even Costco.

    http://www.efireplacestore.com/rut-3412.html

    I believe that if you have a fireplace or woodstove in your home or cabin you ought to have some of these staed nearby and educate your wife and kiddos as to how to use them in case things get out of control.

    My friend is very lucky that the fire was detected prior to everyone being inside and sleeping. But sure bummed about the loss of his hard work and monetary investment. We can all imagine how bad it must suck going back to a tent once you've had a cabin!

    It seemed worthwhile to mention as a reminder.

    Thanks, Chris

  2. #2
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default Pretty cool product

    Thanks for this info, I've never heard of them before your post and have been burning for a long time... had a couple of minor chimney fires and one pretty hairy one.

    Am regularly up on the roof with the brush now, and have it down to an easy chore but it is sure easier to procrastinate that one also.

    Great Idea, good post

  3. #3

    Default

    we hadone when my wife was alive and liveing in va area .. she got everyone out of the house..she was mad for she found the chimney sweep company did not do a very good job on the cleaning out the fireplace chimney ..that what the fire dept told us after getting the fire out and they did a check it only burned the area with the guy had not did a proper cleaning out of the chimney

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default Chimfex

    I just saw them at the Home depot in Wasilla, the company that made them for many years i guess the building had burned down and they were not on the market for a while.

    I was both a part time fireman and had a chimney cleaning and install company for many years. If there is 2nd or 3rd degree cresote in the chimney you can not get that out with a brush, only with cemicals that desolve it. Sometimes with that sort of build up it is possible for a chimney fire after a cleaning because the loose soot was just removed and exposed the rosin build up that is still on the walls.

    It is inportant to get the chimney inspected or cleaned every year, don't burn green wood and don't damper down more than 60% at night if you can help it.

    Gland everyone got out

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  5. #5
    Member chriso's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I just saw them at the Home depot in Wasilla, the company that made them for many years i guess the building had burned down and they were not on the market for a while.

    I was both a part time fireman and had a chimney cleaning and install company for many years. If there is 2nd or 3rd degree cresote in the chimney you can not get that out with a brush, only with cemicals that desolve it. Sometimes with that sort of build up it is possible for a chimney fire after a cleaning because the loose soot was just removed and exposed the rosin build up that is still on the walls.

    It is inportant to get the chimney inspected or cleaned every year, don't burn green wood and don't damper down more than 60% at night if you can help it. Glad everyone got out
    Thats sort of ironic isnt it? The fire extinguisher company building burns down...... hmmmm, maybe I'll look for another brand!

  6. #6
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I'd be interested in seeing if they are up and running again. We used to sell a bunch of those.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I have recently seen them in a store in Fairbanks. I don't remember which one though.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    106

    Default Chimfex

    I believe Arctic Fire and Safety has them in Fbks. Probably the other Safety/Welding supply stores too.

    Oh, try The Woodway as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •