Thread: haul road griz

Default haul road griz

Planning a bowhunting trip in unit 24 around coldfoot, I havent been able to get up there in the spring in a while now and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on times griz's come out up north. I know its weather dependant but a ballpark date would really help me plan. thanks

Late April is the earliest I have seen them out in unit 26B. I'd imagine it would be a little earlier south of the range. If I were to head up there for a week, I think I'd plan on going somewhere between the 15-30th of May.

Default that fits

That fits in my plan nicely I have the whole month of May off and I am planning on going around 15-22 May, that is if I can find a partner to go up then. I got a small griz up there i think it was last week of May. Been up there a few times after that and didnt see any griz. Thanks for the advice.

We used to see several during the last week of May, but it really slowed down the last few years. I took one on the 28th or 29th of May a few years ago, but last fall I filled the DB990 tag so I can't hunt them again until spring of '11. I usually stick to 26B though.

Good luck!

I had a really nice one run off a moose I was looking at back in September. Big old boar. About 10 miles south of Coldfoot. I know this information doesn't mean much, but there are still big (for the interior) bears around up there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Dietrich River

Keep in mind, when the Dietrich River starts to thaw, you probably won't be able to cross it. It normally starts to thaw/flood around the second week of May. If you plan to hunt around Dietrich Camp, keep that in mind.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info I think I will plan my trip 16-26 may and see how it goes. I dont plan on crossing the river so I will be hunting the eastern side of the road. Want to try and get one with my new recurve.

Dont listen to Jerod...he doesn't know anything about the haul-road bears

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Dont listen to Jerod...he doesn't know anything about the haul-road bears
    Hey, come on now, I've seen one or two up there.