Thread: snow shoes

Default snow shoes

who makes a great snow shoes for travel in the bush country along with a snow gators for wear with them

I use Atlas 12x35"s. For gaitors I use Outdoor Research.

Brett

If I'm know I'm going to be in a lot of brush & alder I use an old set of Sherpa's in open country I wear a set of surplus magnesium w/cable webs.

I you want traditional check out Iverson's or if you prefer hi-tech look into some of what Tubbs has to offer. I've used several different models of both and never had any problems with any of them.
    Chuck

thank you for the info .

I tend to avoid any type of traction claw on shoes if I expect to be in the brush, as they can and do snag on the smallest willow brush, resulting in a "Faceplant". I tend to wear my Iversons with the pointed front and pointed tails in brush. I like the Sherpa shoes but LOATH the Sherpa bindings. I am ashamed to admit that for general day to day application I just wear "Yukon Charlie's" 9 X 30's. They have held up much better than I expected. On my grave stone I plan to have inscribed, "All Snowshoes SUCK".

We love our Tubbs, make sure you compansate for the weight of your gear plus your body weight when sizing them! If you are close to the next size up on a snoshoe scale (usually found at REI and other stores) or chart, get the next bigger size, it does make a difference on how much of your weight stays higher in the snow.

Mountaintrekker

Another vote for Atlas.

Not sure about gators, but i have been using my red feathers for years. If I were to buy a new pair, I would go with the Atlas though.

I got 2 pr of MSR Denali shoes, 1 w/ the long flotation tail extentions. They are awesome, my original pair is beat to hell and about 9 years old, Kodiak, Wisconsin, Valdez and now the Matsu Valley and they are bullet proof, scratched all up but not broken or torn in any way at all. My wife's still have under 20 miles on them. For the price I'd have to say MSR is the way to go. Black Diamond gaitors and trecking poles are what I'm getting next though. I have OR gaitors and I just don't like em.