Thread: Kwikfish Swivels and/or Split Rings

Default Kwikfish Swivels and/or Split Rings

For Kenai River Kwikfish, I'm wondering what everyone's preference is between the single hook and the plug. I've seen just the stock split-ring, adding a barrel swivel between the stock split-ring and the hook, and two split rings (end-end). Seems like a minor detail, but am intrigued by the barrel swivel.

Default barrel swivel

All my kwikfish are switched out with a barrel swivel. Majority of the people fish them this way and it seems to be the best method of adding a single hook. I'd be interested in what the double split ring people have to say and why they like to rig them this way.

Default I'm a double split ringer

and I like it....nuff said .

I've done it both ways and prefer the double split ring. The second one keeps the siwash hook straight up, helping (in my mind) to ensure solid top jaw hook ups and even minizing snags in the side of the face from a free swivelling hook. I also feel that the hook up rate is improved on one versus the other as the hook is almost always in a good position. This was all done on the Nushagak over the past five years (I almost exclusively backtroll), so there are lots of data points to support my thoughts.

That said, a swivel is certainly not the wrong way to go, but I prefer two split rings.

The biggest and best thing about all this is the ease on the fish (and the net) that a single hook brings. (it's not required on the Nushagak) Spent the first year using double trebles (didn't know any better) but got tired of picking ten to twenty kwikfish a day out of the net, not to mention the extra holes punched in a fish's face and extra handling time trying not to punch myself a new hole in my hand with one of the six available sharp pointy barbs.

Also, double trebles do almost nothing for your bit to hook up rate....I can tell no difference since going to single hooks, and even if I did...the ease of using singles way outweighs any minor advantage (if there were one).
    Last edited by Catch It; 03-15-2010 at 12:59. Reason: Added sentence.

I'm a switch hitter... go BOTH ways.

Generally use a swivel alone on K16's and K15's for siwash hooks.

Generally use two split rings on K16-X's rigged with siwash hooks.

Generally use a split ring and a swivel when rigged with Gamakatsu 510's (for extra "hangback").

But I have been known to mix it up a bit.

Bottom line.... need to have sufficient "hangback" to keep the hook point exposed and NOT shielded by the butt of the plug... esp the double wide arse of a K16.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kwikfish rig

I used to use 2 split rings and they seemed to work fine. However I lost a couple really nice kings and came back without my hook. I think since I use a plug snap if that king really twists that gap in the siwash can jam in the split rings and pop that hook off. What I wish they made was a short barrel swivel with really thick rings--that would be ideal.

I use #5 swivels. Seem to work well.

back in the day when I was guiding kings with plugs I felt we got about a third more hook ups with swivels, also I felt the plugs worked better with swivels, granted I was fishing wiggle warts and not kwickfish, with no bait wraps either
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    back in the day when I was guiding kings with plugs I felt we got about a third more hook ups with swivels, also I felt the plugs worked better with swivels, granted I was fishing wiggle warts and not kwickfish, with no bait wraps either
    AKPM soooo you have been to the darkside. Who would have thunk it....All this time i took you for a Purest, thoses wiggle warts are hard to swim with a wrap anyway, Goood Job.........

Here's a pic showing the consistency of exposure/hangback with the various configurations I posted.

1) Split ring to swivel to 4/0 Gamakatsu 510 (two K16-X's far right)
    2) Double split rings to 5/0 Gamakatsu siwash (the next dozen K16-X's)
    3) Swivel to 6/0 Gamakatsu siwash (far left K16)

Caught fish with all three configurations.

Stick one with a Gamakatsu 510 and it ain't comin' off.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I really like the 510s. Prefer the double split ring to put hook point down on the belly and up on the tail.

do you ty pically get rid of the junky trebles if you dont have too? I am not fishing the kenai. Though I may give it a shot later on this year we'll see.