Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Willow parking

  1. #1

    Default Willow parking

    Guy's where is a good place to park for multiple days in the Willow area. I was looking at Deshka but want to take the trail down Red Shirt lake to the Big Swamp. Any sugestions. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Dupont Spinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    1,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Guy's where is a good place to park for multiple days in the Willow area. I was looking at Deshka but want to take the trail down Red Shirt lake to the Big Swamp. Any sugestions. Thanks.
    If you are looking for something some what secure then Deshka Landing is the place. Jason and Roger do a pretty good job of taking care of things.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    264

    Default

    There are several trails in the Willow system which connect to the Big Su, so you could park at Deshka, head a few miles down the Su, turn left and end up in the Willow trail system, and connect down to Red Shirt Lake that way.

    Otherwise, I think you could park near the Willow Community Center--but unlike Deshka, there's no security or fencing there.

    The closest parking lot to Red Shirt might be the one on Nancy Lake Parkway (the road which heads back to the Rolly Lake campground)--it's a state park parking lot, so you'll have to pay the $5 a day. Plus, no security there, either.

  4. #4
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Thumbs up Also.

    Also there is West Gate Center off Crystal Lake Pkwy.
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks guy's, the more I look at the maps the more I think I will go to Deshka. Now I just need to find the trail to Red Shirt or the Big Swamp off the Su.

  6. #6
    RMK
    Guest

    Default Willow Parking

    I'm pretty sure they have signs at the Willow Community center saying "no overnight parking." I left a rig there overnight, and the community watch guys checked it out. I am assuming they even got the troopers to run the plate, because they knew my name when I returned.

    If you're doing day rides, that a pretty good spot. Lots of room, and easy trail access.

    A was mentioned by "SR12345" the public spot on the Nancy Lake Parkway is also good, and provides easy access to Red Shirt. It costs $5 buck a day since it's state park. Here a map to red shirt if you park there.

    I also recommend picking up one of the Willow Trail committee maps. They only cost a couple bucks I think. You can get them at the mini-mart in Willow. They are pretty helpful if you get turned around out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb1b View Post
    Thanks guy's, the more I look at the maps the more I think I will go to Deshka. Now I just need to find the trail to Red Shirt or the Big Swamp off the Su.
    Check your PM box.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member Trail Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Willow AK.
    Posts
    605

    Wink Getting there!

    You can leave from Deahka Landing out the front gate go about 1 block along side the road take the first right and that will put you on Corral Hill trail. Then take a left and you wiil hit Willow Swamp Loop and that takes you to the trails to Redshirt. Best bet will be Rolly Lakes Trail at the south end of Willow Swamp Loop.
    About 10 miles. Easy run!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Willow, Alaska
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Just a reminder for a Day User that leaves out the front gate is that you will need to return during business hours so that you don't have pay to open the gate up when you return. After business hours the electronic gate closes and it is only accessible by Visa/MC. It will cost you $3 to open the gate, or you can go down to the Su using Rolly Creek or Corral Hill then turning North to head to the Deshka Landing hill that will take you into the parking lot.
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •