Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rebarreling a Ruger #1 to .470 Nitro Express?

Default rebarreling a Ruger #1 to .470 Nitro Express?

Would the action be up to the .470 Nitro? Because of the large Rim I was hoping to rebarrel a .45/70 to the Nitro. Whould any other modifications need to be made other than barrel and opening up action for a .6551 " rimmed hull?
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

That action will be up to it but I am not sure what all will be needed for the conversion. Try 24 hour campfire, they have a dedicated forum for single shots and there are some serious #1 nuts on there and I am sure one of them have done this conversion or know someone that has.

I'm not sure about the logistics, but I'd make sure it weighs at least 10lbs or you'll have a fair amount of recoil. I've shot 10lbs .450 3.25" NE and they are very reasonable. The balistics/recoil between these to cartridges are about the same. That said I'm much more comfortable with recoil than the average shooter. Go to www.accuraterealoading.com and ask them.

Brett

Much easier to go with one of the 450NE's and a very good recoil pad. The action will hold the 470 pressure wise

It's alot easier to start with a 458 and rechamber for the 450NE. It'll clean up fine. But either way you'll till be doing the same thing as a 458 will do. The 450 and 470 and the 450 toss a 500 grain pill out at 2100 or so. They can be hotrodded beyond that but why bother?

edit. The 45-70 would need the barrel set back at least 1 turn because the 450 NE has a timmer rim.

You could always try the 45-120 3.25" NE. All you have to due i rent the reamer. You can get 5000+ ft/lbs of energy out of that combo if that is your need.

Ron

I agree that the .450 is a much better choice than a .470. Performance wise there's no difference, but in terms of bullets, brass, and manufactured ammo availabilty the .450 3.25" NE is a clear winner over the .470NE.

Brett

Default Go all the way to a .500 NE

If you are going to all the trouble of a .470 NE you might as well go on up to a .500 NE.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can tell if the factory .458 barrel can be rebored to .500 - I've read a few places where they state the screw holes for the rib may be too deep.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

There is always the 460 Weatherby

I think Im going to do the 450 Express 3.25", I love the idea of 500 grains of "Nitro Express"
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

I was going to go that way with my #3 but at a couple of pounds less in weight and old age for me the hot 45/70 rounds are plenty.

What work is needed other than rebarreling?

I was told I could just rechamber my 45/70 and throat it as needed

Quote Originally Posted by idahotrophyhunter View Post
    What work is needed other than rebarreling?

Just ream the 45-70 out to 3.25" and you are all set. No new barrel needed. Folks are doing this with their handi-rifles.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    If you are going to all the trouble of a .470 NE you might as well go on up to a .500 NE.

I'm still trying to figure out how you can tell if the factory .458 barrel can be rebored to .500 - I've read a few places where they state the screw holes for the rib may be too deep.
    You'll have to go with a new barrel for a 500, the screw holes for the 1/4 rib are drilled very deep. I used a Ruger #1 458 win takeoff barrel for a 458 lott bolt gun, and my smith cut 2" off the breech of the barrel so the rear 1/4 rib screws wouldn't be over the chamber. Made a good barrel for the lott due to the weight and the barrel band sling swivel and front sight. I would have liked to have had the quarter rib, but it had been removed from the barrel when I bought it.

So 470 or 500 NE, no problem but will require a new barrel. The breech block and safety may require some work to allow room for the 500 NE rim to clear.

What is really intriguing me as getting a Kieger .50 barrel and rechambering for 500 Nitro, kind of like that idea more so that the 450 nitro...if I wanted that performance I would just by the Lott which I don't want.

There's a ready built 450NE for sale down in California. Either Guns America or Guns International..
    I love my 450 NE double.

Default Thanks

I had something to that effect- thanks for the info. Wonder if it is a problem with all of them and if not how do you determine what you have? After all you are only increasing the bore by approx. .025" on each side.

It would be really nice if a rebore would work - save a lot of $$ - and the factory barrel is fine with the rib etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You'll have to go with a new barrel for a 500, the screw holes for the 1/4 rib are drilled very deep. I used a Ruger #1 458 win takeoff barrel for a 458 lott bolt gun, and my smith cut 2" off the breech of the barrel so the rear 1/4 rib screws wouldn't be over the chamber. Made a good barrel for the lott due to the weight and the barrel band sling swivel and front sight. I would have liked to have had the quarter rib, but it had been removed from the barrel when I bought it.

So 470 or 500 NE, no problem but will require a new barrel. The breech block and safety may require some work to allow room for the 500 NE rim to clear.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

[QUOTE=tvfinak;690279] if not how do you determine what you have? After all you are only increasing the bore by approx. .025" on each side.
    [QUOTE]

Pull a screw and measure the dept of the hole. Simple

Oregunsmithing in Oregon does chambering and barrel reaming. He puts some perty big bullets in H&R barrels and they are drilled for bases also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast