Thread: 416 Ruger Reloads?

Default 416 Ruger Reloads?

Anybody hand load any yet? I know I've seen some data from online, but was wondering if anyone has first hand data. I picked up 400 grain Kodiak bullets to load up.

Thanks.
    Tony

Default .416 Ruger reloads

I have a .416 Ruger alaskan, and I use 73 grains H4350 with a Speer
    350 grain Mag Tip. Also use this charge with a 350 gr. Kodiak.
    I have yet to shoot anything alive with it, but penetration tests have been positive. I would not hesitate to use the Mag Tip on a Brownie.
    The 350 gr. TSX also shoots well with this load.
    This, and the .375 Ruger have proven to be untempermental and easy
    to work with.
    While the Houge stock shoots well from the bench, and does reduce
    recoil, I added a Ruger synthetic from Brownells. It fit's my large hands better, and handles well.This is the same stock as the Compact Magnum comes with.
    Enjoy!
    Bryan

Default Thanks Bryan

I'll give the 350 grains a try as well, although I have 400's first to try out. The best data I have found so far is from www.realguns.com on it.

Disclaimer:
    (I have not tried these loads and will be shooting them at my own risk, and any other shooter should also know this... )

I also have a call into Hornady for some info. On real guns they have this table from page 2.

I am going to try the 400's with BL-C2, Win 760, and H414.

I will update once I have tried a few. Thanks again for your reply, and if your ever out at Birchwood, let me know.
    Tony

Default .416 Ruger Loads

400 grain Barnes Solid, 78 grains of Reloader-15, and Wincherster WLR primers produced 1/2" groups at 100 yards. No signs of pressure whatsoever. I had worked up from 74.0 grains...1/2 grain at a time. Shoulder still sore! That's five shots per load.

Smile

I'll bet that's not only enough power for anything, but also enough recoil!!!
    The .416 has been a real easy cartridge to work with, and the Hornady brass is first rate. With slightly lighter loads, I expect it to become my
    regular companion. With Warne Q.D. mounts, it's easy to get the scope
    out of the way, and I like the open sights Ruger went with.
    I'd like to hear a report, when one of us kills something with it!!
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by akbearhunter View Post
    Wincherster WLR primers
    Is that a miss print. Should it read Winchester WLRM (magnum) primers?

Default .416 Ruger

No Misprint. The Winchester primers I used stated WLR for standard and magnum loads. Has Winchester changed their primers to read differently?

Quote Originally Posted by akbearhunter View Post
    No Misprint. The Winchester primers I used stated WLR for standard and magnum loads. Has Winchester changed their primers to read differently?
    Not that I'm aware of. Sometimes data will call for standard primers in magnums and sometimes magnum primers in standard loads. It depends on the powder and the charge. I just assumed magnum primers with the 416, sorry.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/c...r-primers.aspx

Below is a good article on primers and the differences in pressures between brands. A switch to WLR or WLRM from a Rem, Fed or CCI could spell problems for a guy that had developed a max load. The extreme difference is measured at 12,800 psi. Another angle would be a guy that had a compressed load but not max. He might benefit by switching to a hotter primer, only testing can tell...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Default .416 Ruger Loads

Your correct on the primers...as magnum primers such as a CCI-250 can be 29% hotter than CCI-200's (standard primers).

The Winchester WLR primers were on my shelf...and my be ten years old or older. My hope is that by sharing this data with a fellow reloader that wishes to build a load for his rifle...that he will work up his load as I did...0.5 grains at a time.

As far as I'm concerned, a fellow can use whatever primer he wish...just as long as he works it up slowly and measures for expansion.

I still have many bullets to test for my .416 Ruger...and you can bet that for each one of these test loads I will begin with a starting load and work up 0.5 grain at a time.

Thumbs up Win primers

Winchester did make one primer for Mag and Large rifle for a couple years then went back to making two primers a WLR and WLRM...in nickle covered these were very good. Today they still have the WLR and WLRM primers but they are brass colored.