Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: online ground school

Default online ground school

hey every one. i am new to all of this.. I have been wanting to get my private pilots licens for as longs as i can remember and now it is time. i hav been lookin at online ground schools so i can get that out of the way befor i leave to arizona for the flight school.. i have been lookin at gleim, kings and sportys.. i was just wondering if anyone has used these or what you would reccomend.. thanks

RMK

Default Here a hint...you can do it free

I took ground school courtesy of the Anchorage School District way back when. I'll assume you're older than that, so here's another tip at a freebie. If you're in Anchorage, the Loussac Library usually has the King videos available for check out. If you're somewhere else, check your local library.

I have watched some of the King stuff, and it seems pretty concise, and delivered in a manner to keep it interesting. I've watched their IFR stuff and liked it. I think John and Martha King posses every rating under the sun, so they know their stuff.

I haven't watched many of Sporty's videos, but they seem like they are quite proud of everything they sell.

Default Sporty's and King

I used the computer CDs from Sporty's and also had some of the older King video tapes. Both had their good points. The King tapes were were probably a little more entertaining while Sporty's might have been a little more detailed. Both had their weak areas also. Having both was nice because having two different approaches to each subject gave me a better understanding of the subject. I did well on the written, so I guess they worked fine. I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.
    Good Luck,
    Patrick

thanks alot guys.... i got the wifes OK to get my licens this november so i am pretty pumped.. its the only time i can get off work so i thought i better do it somwhere with nice weather so i can fly every day..

Try Gleim - they are probably the most comprehensive

If you are headed to Arizona to got Sheble's I'd say STAY AWAY. If thats where your headed PM me to find out why.

yeah gleim is the one i chose to go with ..... how do i pm on this thing

Talking Lic 2 learn

akbonecollector, When you go to school down there, and you want to come back to AK to fly, (or anywhere else , really), remember, you will only have the license. You will need to really learn to fly then. As they say, it's just a license to learn!

Come back to AK and get with an instructor and get some good duel time that is appropriate to AK and mountain flying and coastal flying and dealing with hard core weather with only a VFR lic, (that reads, patience and judgement). Then fly with and around some seasoned pilots to get the hang of it all. It'll save your life (and passengers too).

Oh, and btw, get a tailwheel endorsment asap and as much tailwheel time as possible, it'll learn your feet on how to save your bacon.

FWIW,

and good luck, it'll be tons of fun!!

I have the Sporty's online Private Pilot course that I really like. The only problem is you need a FAST internet connection, wish i had gone the CD route instead. I originally took my ground school at Kenai Peninsula College 10 years ago then ended up stoppping flight training. I now live in Texas part time, but I am going to spend April & May in Anchorage and finally finish up getting my liscence.

yeah i have a couple friends that have been flying since befor my time and i plan on doin alot of flying with them befor i go off and do my own adventures......

yeah i have heard sportys was a good program..
    but after calling the school i plan to attend i found out they use gleim.
    so i figured what the heck might as well use what they train with...

anyone have any good/bad feedback on shebles in arizona..

A couple of my clients came to me AFTER they got their float ratings from Sheble. They all felt they were not competent to really fly floats, particularly up here.
    The word is that you will get whatever rating you want, as long as your check does not bounce.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Exclamation I second that

What Float pilot said about Sheble. You'll get the paper but not neccesarily the skilz. That is why I said what I said in my previous post.

Sounds like you have your head on straigh tho and will do well. Follow you gut feelings, you'll know when you have a good instructor.

Read the Richard Bach books, esp "Gift of Wings". some light reading in between studies that will teach you also

Good luck!

Default Private License

Hey folks I am just getting on the tail end of this, I have been in the same stiuation as akbonecollector and been years wanting to take the time and get to ground school. I work one month on and two weeks off and thought id have to take a month or so off to go to school. I have many friends who have gotten there private licenses and I am in the dust here.

Am I hearing this right that you can study CD's or online and take the test for the ground school?

I am not as ignorant as I sound.
    Thank you and good luck akbonecollector.

I took my ground school through UAF distance education. Here's a link.
    http://distance.uaf.edu/course-list-....php?crn=99018

I was in the military at the time so I could do the course work as time permitted. I thought it was a good program and I scored well on my test.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_SteveO View Post
    Hey folks I am just getting on the tail end of this, I have been in the same stiuation as akbonecollector and been years wanting to take the time and get to ground school. I work one month on and two weeks off and thought id have to take a month or so off to go to school. I have many friends who have gotten there private licenses and I am in the dust here.

Am I hearing this right that you can study CD's or online and take the test for the ground school?

I am not as ignorant as I sound.
    Thank you and good luck akbonecollector.
    You're correct in that you don't have to attend a ground school. All you have to do is pass the written test, and it doesn't particularly matter how you get that information. You can read books, use a DVD course or I guess now they have on-line training. I've never attended a ground school but rather used books and DVD courses for all my ratings, and I'm sure that's not unusual at all.

I used the King DVDs. Corny but effective. I just took my written a couple weeks ago, made a 95.

Default Ground school

Thanks for the info on Ground school.

I liked the Kings also. For some reason that corneyness sticks.

Does anyone have a good recommendation on GOOD flight instruction in the Phoenix area? I Had 50+hours about 10years ago, to include a couple solo's Elmendorf to Kenai and back. So, essentially I will be starting over, and I want to get some serious spin training as well, FIRST THING.

I NEVER felt comfortable that if I DID get into a spin (solo) that I would be able to get out...and right at that 50 hours seemed to be just enough knowlege to be dangerous.

ANY advice on Who's a good instructor in the NW Phoenix area (Glendale?) and do they (will they?) include PLENTY of Stall/Spin recovery training? Does this require Aerobatic instruction to practice spins?
    I want more than to just be "shown"...I want to be confident in spin recovery technique.
    To KNOW that I can do it on my own (second nature) if necessary.

Default the hard part

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    do they (will they?) include PLENTY of Stall/Spin recovery training?
    I want more than to just be "shown"...I want to be confident in spin recovery technique.
    Those exercises were the ones I thought most painful/challenging, with Landing taking a close second. You're braver than many people are.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Those exercises were the ones I thought most painful/challenging, with Landing taking a close second. You're braver than many people are.
    Thanks FM. Not so much brave as I just believe it's something that I was WAY undertrained in...and worried that if I DID get in a wringer...I needed MORE knowlege (enough that it SHOULD be second hand by "feel")...to get back out.

I'm curious that maybe it requires an Aerobatic rated aircraft and instructor (and wearing the related chutes) to actually REALLY practice Spin Recovery? Maybe that's why it's not instructed as well as I would have liked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast