Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: syrup recipes

Default syrup recipes

Does anyone make there own syrup I was thinking of taking powder surgar and adding water and then vinilla flavoring what do you think?

My wife said she is going to make some with different flavors but she won't tell me how she's doing it. I may have to keep her rifle locked up until I get her recipe or she makes some for me.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I use white sugar, brown sugar, water and peanut butter...its pretty tasty and makes the house smell good!

Default Ritchie, so... it might not taste good but smells good anyway?

I could do the same with garlic powder(Vampires) and Pepper(china) add a little caro syrup and then call it good? Yikes, my cake deodorant would qualify!!! Am I missing something?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

hahahaha I guess a lot of things smell good but don't taste so great. Let me put it this way I've used it before on pancakes and was a happy camper...haha

All this talk of syrup makes me want to make pancakes and waffles

I hope the syrup making is working for all of you. I haven't started mine yet, but I'm itching to do it...Just don't want to start too early.

May even make my husband some for his stand if he is nice to me.

Ive got a whole stack of vanilla pudding mix I was thinking of using. Mix it with some water and more sugar and BAM! Emeril would be proud.

Emeril will be even happier if you spice it up a bit and take it up a notch. haha

Makes me want to stalk your bait station though....

Skybust,
    Your recipe with powdered sugar is going to make a frosting. It will work great!! Smear it on some tree and coat your barrel with it. Add some jello for a sweeter scent. Vanilla is "soft" scent. I would suggest a louder scent like berry or cherry
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    Skybust,
    Your recipe with powdered sugar is going to make a frosting. It will work great!! Smear it on some tree and coat your barrel with it. Add some jello for a sweeter scent. Vanilla is "soft" scent. I would suggest a louder scent like berry or cherry
    Ha thanks I never thought about using a louder scent. Chris

May even want to add some anise extract to your "frosting" if you are going to smear it on the trees. That is a really strong scent the bears seem to like. Just a thought.

Hmm so if I was to make a frosting just add anise extract and call it good. How does it keep if sealed and refrig or frozen?

More than likely you can put it in the fridge if sealed for a few days. It may harden up a bit, but once you got out in the heat, it should soften back up some. I wouldn't make it too soon before you go out to bait though. If you are just making frosting, that is something that can be made up quick if using the powdered sugar. If making syrup, that is going to take a bit more time so you won't have time if heading out first thing in the morning, plus it will still be hot. I plan on making my syrup a day or two before going out to bait and storing in a gallon size container. This way I can also play with flavors and smells.

Smile

Awesome tip on the jugs.

Actually I'm just going to use old milk jugs that I have washed out real good. That way it will hold enough and I can screw the lid on to keep it fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHuntressNP View Post
    More than likely you can put it in the fridge if sealed for a few days. It may harden up a bit, but once you got out in the heat, it should soften back up some. I wouldn't make it too soon before you go out to bait though. If you are just making frosting, that is something that can be made up quick if using the powdered sugar. If making syrup, that is going to take a bit more time so you won't have time if heading out first thing in the morning, plus it will still be hot. I plan on making my syrup a day or two before going out to bait and storing in a gallon size container. This way I can also play with flavors and smells.
    So how do you make your syrup?

Has anyone considered using off the shelf corn syrup and heating it to infuse their scents? This might be a little more costly by volume/weight than making a surgar based syrup.

I think it would be slightly faster and you just pour it back into the bottle once cooled enough.

Skybust, you and your boy need any help this spring? I will more than likely end up working in Skwentna in late April and May. Considering packing along something besides the hand cannon in case something furry and hungry wanders through the work site.

Default Cherry Coke Syrup

Im going to try making this:

- Cherry Pie Filling
    - Coke (not cocaine, might work though)
    - Sugar
    - Water

Blend or mix to correct consistancy. Heat on low to fully melt together all ingredients. Stir constantly so it doesnt burn and ruin pot.

Mountain Man - cherry coke syrup sounds good..the only thing is, that could get a little costly with the cost of pie filling being a couple dollars a can and it's not really a whole lot. But I guess once you mix all the other ingriedents in, you may have the amount you want.

Skybust- I used sugar, water and maple extract. I made up a batch the other night to test it out and see what all it would take. Was very simple, didn't take much time and my kids actually loved it. My 5 and 7 year old told me not to buy syrup anymore, that they want me to just make it...lol The bears may have some competion in the syrup dept. If you need to know how much of each to use, just let me know. I'm still going to try some anise syrup, but that will be just for the bears, as I can not stand the taste of anise...don't even really like the smell of it, but I know the bears do.

Going to be expirementing on maybe some thicker type syrup also that I can use to put on top of the barrel and maybe trees so that it doesn't just run down like the regular syrup will.

AKHUNTRESS,

Can you PM me the mixing ratio so a newb can attempt making some.

Brad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast