Thread: Anyone fishing the Homer winter king derby?

Default Anyone fishing the Homer winter king derby?

Have not seen anyone getting too excited or talking about the derby next weekend. I plan on being on the water if we don't get blown off the inlet!

Default harbor ice

I'm checking with my boat builder later today to see if the harbor has or will be clear of ice. Right now it sounds like launching is not possible....

Default I'm in

I'm going to head to Homer on thursday. I think the weather should lay down by the weekend.

Default Ice

I looked at the harbor yesterday afternoon and the entrance was choked with pan ice. I can launch alright, but that ice will take off my new bottom paint, so that's a deal breaker....

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    I looked at the harbor yesterday afternoon and the entrance was choked with pan ice. I can launch alright, but that ice will take off my new bottom paint, so that's a deal breaker....
    Hey cliffhanger could we talk about bottom paint? I need the bottom of my boat painted! Its aluminum and apparently quite a process. Who did yours? Does anybody know who I could hire to paint mine before may? I'll pay up to 2500.00 to have it done. The Harbor in Whittier is extremely hot. My zincs corrode twice as fast in Whittier as they do in Cordova....(sorry to get off the subject of the king derby)

Default Bottom pain(t)

Mike at Homer Boat Yard did mine @ $100 per foot. Here's a link to his website.

Regarding ice in the harbor in Homer, I got this email from Matt Clarke, Deputy Harbormaster, when I asked him what shape the harbor was in, ice wise, specifically around my stall yesterday. This is his reply, verbatim.

"Hi Jim-

The L&L ramp is plowed and sanded daily. Our maintenance department is aware of the increased use associated with the winter king tournement. There is moderate ice congestion between the L&L ramp and CC float. You can expect to have to displace some ice to access your stall. Mud bay has a significant amount of pack ice (up to 3' thick) that is currently softening and moving around with the tides/wind. The harbor entrance is least congest on the outgoing tide towards low-slack. The forward portion of the harbor and entrance channel have been extremely congested on the flood tide and high-slack. Many of the larger commercial fishing vessels struggled to maneuver in it yesterday afternoon. It appears to be a little easier going today.

Hope this helps.

Matt"

The ice conditions change rapidly. You can always call the Harbormaster's office (907-235-3160) to get current conditions. The "derby people" have cleared the fairway from the launch to the harbor entrance in the past to accomodate the tournament participants.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Mike at Homer Boat Yard did mine @ $100 per foot. Here's a link to his website.
    Thanx Cliffhanger w/ a 32 footer that'll break me.....Looks like the Boat will be sporting a "fullbush" again this year....I'll be givin her the 'ol clorox spa treatment again! she just wants to be silky smooth like the other boats!.....grrr!

Default Homer harbor Wed

130 pm today Harboe mouth, ice floating around in the sunshine.
    Attached Images Attached Images