Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather preventing Training/Shooting?

Default Cold Weather preventing Training/Shooting?

Last I was in Alaska the common place to go shoot/sight in/etc was the range down at Potter's Marsh (Rabbit Creek?), is that still where most folks go, or has someone finally built a decent year-round indoor range in Anchorage?

IF you DON'T have an indoor range at your disposal, what tricks do YOU use to train, stay sharp during the winter months? Any drills you would share or advise...
    What do you like to do to stay "sharp"?

Other than what you wear I don't see how weather makes a difference in shooting.

Just curious if they ever built an indoor range in Anchorage, and if NOT...are people doing any OTHER types of indoor training drills?

If, so...any good drills to share?
    I remember I used to shoot a plastic "speer" training round that was powered only by a primer (in the garage). It was good for a revolver, but I'm not sure it would cycle an automatic. I don't see them marketed anymore.

Also, I wondered if this would be a good training tool for messin' around the house on a cold day. I may order one.
    http://laserlyte.com/Laser_Training_...RO/LT-PRO.html

air pistol are good for keep hand and eye sharp .. also international match air rifles for indoor pratice ..also you can pratice diff prostion with the air rifle for standing and prone shooting prostion allong with a small printed out game animals with there kill zones on the animals ..you can pratice with diff ranges up to 10 meters ranges with the scoped air rifle /

We have an indoor range here in Palmer but no public indoor range in Anchorage that I know of. Lots of people use air guns, even snap caps for dry fire can help a lot. Some use bullets they make from wax, rubber, or silicone propelled with just a primer. A few even build traps for low velocity rimfires.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks AD, I wondered if anyone had built a range in Anchorage yet.

Henry, that's a GREAT idea about the Air Pistols for training, I may set something up in the garage.

I still really like that Laser Trainer for drawstroke/trigger control practice, and I'll post a report after I get it.

I'm also trying to figure out some type of "moving target" training drill.

Default Snap Caps and Lasers

I use an airsoft copy of my CC gun for indoor training, laser-sights with snap-caps are a great tool for showing a flinch, and practicing good trigger manipulation. Just remember to quit practicing after you replace your snap-caps with live rounds!
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    I use an airsoft copy of my CC gun for indoor training, laser-sights with snap-caps are a great tool for showing a flinch, and practicing good trigger manipulation. Just remember to quit practicing after you replace your snap-caps with live rounds!
    -J
    Yes, I'm very pairanoid about putting one through my TV and maybe someone in the other room also.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Shooting in cold sometimes useful...

Shooting .44Mag indoors... gets other shooters attention. Maybe a good thing I was from out of town, the few times I shot indoors in FBX. Terrific facility, but maybe demand in ANC hasn't been high? Wonder why.

Not sure I would shoot indoors that much. Our weather in ANC is pretty mild really and getting outside to shoot in cold weather is better for me - depending on one's plans I guess. Some days at Birchwood the wind can make it cold enough to layer up. If preparing for Spring or Fall hunts where conditions might be cold and windy, then shooting with these extra layers on ... and gloves... maybe a balaclava... can be better practice.

Is surprising there's no indoor range facility here though.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yes, I'm very pairanoid about putting one through my TV and maybe someone in the other room also.
    Rightly so. Dry-firing can create some bad-habits that could result in tragedy if not taken very seriously. It must be done with diligence, safety, and a standard procedure that you follow every single time, EXACTLY the same every single time. It is certainly not the best answer for everyone out there.
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Is surprising there's no indoor range facility here though.
    Yes, that surprises me. I would think it would be in high demand in Los Anchorage.

Dry-firing can create some bad-habits that could result in tragedy if not taken very seriously. It must be done with diligence, safety, and a standard procedure that you follow every single time, EXACTLY the same every single time.
    Very True. I unload the handgun in the bedroom where I keep it (loaded) and carry an unloaded gun into the TV room where I keep my snapcaps (different color / non-brass) for training. I NEVER let live ammo in the same room as the training room. Good habits.
    I draw/snapcap at the television.

Default winter

I find that I like my range time in winter better than summer. Less people at the range makes for a better experience. The cold has not been a problem at all - I actually prefer wearing a glove when shooting my 329pd.

I also use snap caps at home between range outings and for draw practice at home since you can't do that at the range.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    I draw/snapcap at the television.
    Usually the show "The View" (with the volume OFF), but I've found CSpan is also good.

So long as it's above 0, it's really not an issue. Now that rabbitt creek added the overhang on the pistol range it's not bad at all. I have shot at Rabbit Creek before they had the covering, and the temp was -20. I spent more time warming up then I did shooting.

Air guns and dry firing work wonders if you put the time in.

Default Cold weather training...

With all the storms back East this year, and some rain here (4days), I started to REALLY miss Alaska.
    But maybe not so much the winters.

We have our share of winter here in Arizona as well, and it's not to be trifled with.
    For example, we had a situation during last weeks rainstorm that showed the true destructive power of nature’s wrath.
    I "went out in it", and got a quick picture showing the destruction.

Witness the destructive power of Mother Nature's FURY:

picture "rainstorm" (c) arizonaguide, Feburary 28, 2010

Had a little micro-burst did you? It may take days to repair that damage . . . because itís too dang hot to go out there.

All joking aside I have seen more wicked weather in Arizona than Alaska, itís almost like the desert saves up rain and wind all year then dumps it all at once. The coldest I have ever been was working outside in Phoenix, 31*f, raining sideways, cheap rain gear, and I couldnít get the chill out for almost a week. Give me -30 any day, itís dry and you donít go into it unprepared like everyone does in Arizona.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

There was an indoor range in Anchorage for a few years: The Firing Line on old Seward. It operated for about 8 years I think in the 90's. They had in door air issues a few times, and then some EPA issues with the lead dust.

The last time I was there in 1999 they were not making enough money to cover the insurance and operations costs. It was not any more expensive than to drive out to Birchwood. They did have restrictions on the caliber size so all the concealed carry permit classes ended up at Rabbit Creek anyway so that they could get rated up to .45 cal.

Now the property is an RV or car dealership, for a while they did RV storage and heated storage in the range building.

Quote Originally Posted by arizonaguide View Post
    With all the storms back East this year, and some rain here (4days), I started to REALLY miss Alaska.
    But maybe not so much the winters.

We have our share of winter here in Arizona as well, and it's not to be trifled with.
    For example, we had a situation during last weeks rainstorm that showed the true destructive power of natureís wrath.
    I "went out in it", and got a quick picture showing the destruction.

Witness the destructive power of Mother Nature's FURY:

picture "rainstorm" (c) arizonaguide, Feburary 28, 2010

remember it not nice to play with people who are buried up there @000 in snow and make jokes about the nice weather where your at ..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    remember it not nice to play with people who are buried up there @000 in snow and make jokes about the nice weather where your at ..
    It's not bad here now, 46* at the moment but he is looking triple digits in the eye any day now. I for one would not trade for anything . . . till about December anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast