Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fill my King Tackle Box

Question Fill my King Tackle Box

Again I'm comming back to the experts. I know that many have said different lures and such but I thought that it would be interesting to build the ultimate king tackle box with everyones input.

Assume ( Yea I know) that starting from scratch list everything that you would want or need for 2 people for a week of king fishing on the rivers.

List specific brand, makes, models, sizes, colors, quanty, ect. If you can share pictures and or list web sites of certain thing please do so.

If you like one hook over another and you have experiences that you can share as to why, please do. Use this same analogy and apply it to anything else that you might list or suggest.

If someone list something that you disagree with please no fighting or name calling but, challange them on it and make them justify their input I.E. one type of line over another or one wt over another, you get the idea.

Let have fun with this and at the same time help out us rookies that what to get started.

Could turn into a sticky....Hint Hint........

Default I'll bite

Flatfish I believe a t-5? It's about six inches long and I have caught hundreds of Kings with them.
    Tad pollies about half the size of the Flatfish but very productive too
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Default Color

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Flatfish I believe a t-5? It's about six inches long and I have caught hundreds of Kings with them.
    Tad pollies about half the size of the Flatfish but very productive too
    What colors do you find that work the best?

my king gear is this:

vibraxes size 4,5,6 in black, silver, gold, blue or green (good for all salmon fishing)

a few pixies (hey you just never know)

wiggle warts/ mag warts/tap pollys, different colors

corkies and aerodrifters

spin-n-glos

if its legal, always bring a bit of fresh cured roe with you....

Release Lake Trout

by the way, the king in signature picture bit a white russian river fly....seriously it did, twice.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Again I'm comming back to the experts. I know that many have said different lures and such but I thought that it would be interesting to build the ultimate king tackle box with everyones input.

Assume ( Yea I know) that starting from scratch list everything that you would want or need for 2 people for a week of king fishing on the rivers.

List specific brand, makes, models, sizes, colors, quanty, ect. If you can share pictures and or list web sites of certain thing please do so.

If you like one hook over another and you have experiences that you can share as to why, please do. Use this same analogy and apply it to anything else that you might list or suggest.

If someone list something that you disagree with please no fighting or name calling but, challange them on it and make them justify their input I.E. one type of line over another or one wt over another, you get the idea.

Let have fun with this and at the same time help out us rookies that what to get started.

Could turn into a sticky....Hint Hint........
    Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank? Different gear for different types of fishing.

How about the waters you're thinking of fishing? What works on the Deshka might not work on the Kasilof.

If you get more specific you'll get more responses from the members.

Default Both

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Are you fishing from a boat or from the bank? Different gear for different types of fishing.

How about the waters you're thinking of fishing? What works on the Deshka might not work on the Kasilof.

If you get more specific you'll get more responses from the members.
    I would think that being set up for both would be the smartest thing. Waters would be uncertail. As for me I know that I will be fishing the Kasilof and a couple of others.

Point of the exercise would be to help the guy that might normally be fishing his home waters. If he got a call from a buddy fishing something different, he would have what he needs to say I'll be there in the morning. Then when you get there you find out the boat you were supose to be able to use is sinking and you want to salavge the day and do some fishing from the rivers edge. Or your buddy told you that you were going to be doing some back trolling and end up drifting or something else. Heck you buddy brought along someone that you weren't expecting and you need to get away form him or her for a while and fish a pool by yourself.

Lets have some fun with this and not turn it into a retorical debate over what ifs....and built a king tackle box for any situation so you are ready to go at a momments notice.

excellent idea and if one of our friendly moderators would sticky this, it could very useful to residents, military transplants, and tourists looking to get thier first king...lets also describe how we fish our gear and when (low/high tide, morning or evenings, weatherwise) everything helps. should rename it " Pimp my tackle box: King Salmon Edition" lol kidding

Release Lake Trout

Default on flatfish

It's a t-50 and silver and orange colors seem to work the best.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

If I had only one choice for a king rig, it would be chartreuse yarn, a hook w/ an egg loop to hold the yarn and some herring oil to dribble on the yarn.....my shoulders sore thinkin about it. (remember to check the bait regs before you go using attractants)

These aren't actual lures but almost as important:

hook sharpening file to touch up dull hooks

I also replace the cheap little trebles that come on plugs with large gamakatsu trebles or if in single hook water a beead chain link and a single gamakatsu siwash hook.

I also replace the the trebles on from most spinners with a single (3/0, I think) gamakatsu siwash hook.

Buy high quallity snap and barrel swivels.

I also like to use a heavy shock leader made from 40 lb or so maxima mono.

Default the box

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    ...and built a king tackle box for any situation so you are ready to go at a momments notice.
    7/8 oz Pixie Spoons
    #5 or #6 Vibrax spinners
    yarn
    corkies/spin 'n glo's
    lead sinkers
    jet divers
    swivels
    3/0-6/0 octupus hooks
    leader material
    beads
    swivels/snaps
    K13-16 Kwikfish
    stretchy thread to wrap sardines
    bottles of scent
    ink pen--to record your catch

And, as I wise old guide once told me, "Every color works as long as it's orange!" I'm not as wise so I bring along a few extra colors as well.

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Lil Corkie
    Spin and Glow
    Yarn
    Big Sinkers
    Glob o eggs
    lawn chair
    beer

Yeah even I bubba fish once in a while
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If I had only one choice for a king rig, it would be chartreuse yarn, a hook w/ an egg loop to hold the yarn and some herring oil to dribble on the yarn.....my shoulders sore thinkin about it. (remember to check the bait regs before you go using attractants)
    And some smash on weights!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    And some smash on weights!
    could you elaborate?
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It's a t-50 and silver and orange colors seem to work the best.
    If that color doesn't work, try the chrome/chartreuse setup. Works good!!

Bank fishing, I'm more of a corkie user rather than the spin-n-glo setup. They all work though if the kings are in.

Default now we are gettting there

Things are starting to head in the right direction. Please remember to state the sizes so the that can be important info.

No one have mentioned the type of lines and poundages that they prefer and if you are using a leader, how long and what make are you using for that.

As one member said "Pimp this King tackle Box"

Default bobber

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Was going through your old post and was looking at the slip bobber that you were suggesting.. What sizes do you recommend with what weights?

you need a hook and a weight to get it down. hit them in the nose with it and have fun. I've caught dozens with nothing more than a puff of yarn on the hook, and a few with nothing but a hook. no. 5 i believe and I only buy gamakatsu for kings. Corkies are nice but optional IMO, though I use them more than not.

Color is less important than the kind of beer you're drinking.

Hit them in the nose with it and they will snap. If something hits you in the face do you care what color it is? Spoons and spinners are fun and seem to get the cohos attention in particular but I think the fishermen go giddy over them more than the kings do. Roe, on the other hand....

I use 50lb leader, 40 lb line and a 10 wt. fly rod.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast