• Spray

13 7.30%
  • Other

21 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your own personal bear-medicine

Default Your own personal bear-medicine

Just wondering what everyone carries as their own bear protection in a handgun, I'd like to see some good numbers from this poll. So what is it that you carry, and what is your preferred load?

.357mag, 10mm, 44mag, 45 colt, 454 casull, 460S&W, 50AE, 500S&W, Spray, or something else?

Personally I carry a 4" Redhawk in .44mag with 340g HC lead by BuffaloBore in Brown-bear country, and a .357 with Federal 180g HC lead when Blackies are more likely to be around.

Thanks for the replies,-J
    Last edited by jay51; 03-14-2010 at 14:48. Reason: Schpelling, again

I checked 454 but carry mostly hot 45colt most of the time unless sure brownie country.

Default .41 mag

I use the .41 mag, which by the way is not listed so I am the "OTHER"
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

A can of mountain dew, but it's not on the list.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Great thread...I was wondering this also.

Where is the .22 long rifle? I have never carried a firearm specifically for bear protection but the one time I was ever charged by a bear (day before yesterday) what I had in my hand was a Buckmark .22 rifle.
    I did buy an old Redhawk in 44 mag based on some of the advice I received here but am having second thoughts about the practicality of carrying this thing.

At this point it's 45 Colt 355gr WFN with a max does of H110. Puts it at about 1150+fps in my 4" Redhawk. When I find a SRH 454 cylinder for the conversion it'll be a 400 grainer.

Or, it's my 454 Levergun with 335gr hardcast at 1950fps and 10 in the tube Easier to watch over the wifey in the fishin hole or berry patch when she wanders off too far

"Estwing" cruising axe about 35&#37; of the time. .357 Mag. 30% of the time. Nothing or a large walking stick about 35% of the time.

For a handgun I have carried most of the guns listed at one time or another but now have the 500 S&W loaded with a 440gr WFNGC at ~1500fps. I have the really short (2" I think) barreled version w/o muzzle brake.

About half the time I carry a rifle, either a .375 H&H or 12 gauge.

All depends on where I am what I am doing. In the heavy grizzly country where I live, I almost always have a 500 Linebaugh in a shoulder holster and I have shot several bear with it, but only when hunting, not in self defense. I also carry either a 50AK (built on a Marlin) or a Marlin 45-70.

If I'm NOT in grizzly country, I carry a large variety of revolvers and semi autos. Since black bears are pretty easily turned, almost any decent handgun cartridge will do--it may not kill them and does not need to in order to send them packin...............

I clicked on 44, because I carry it the most, but I carry other stuff too.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Never been in brown bear country but in griz or black I just use ole common sense and give them all the room they need. I've got all the big 50's etc but the all around carry, do everything revolver is a 45 Colt SW 4" model 25 - loaded with 18 grains of N110 pushing a 335 grain WFN at 1,010fps. If I were ever so lucky to be in the great State of Alaska I would probably carry the 500 Linebaugh Maximum because I can. I would think you would have a better chance of having a moose chase you around a tree than a brownie messing with ya.

Tim you need to kill them if you shoot them. After a few days a wounded blacky can get mean and the next guy might not have a gun. I'm sure you never wounded one yourself with your experience. It just a hurt any kind of bear is a different critter if hungry.

Yep moose have been a much bigger problem for me

The load varies, but for now a S&W 460V with 345 gr. WLNGC beartooths over 39 or 40 grains of lil gun.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Tim you need to kill them if you shoot them. After a few days a wounded blacky can get mean and the next guy might not have a gun. I'm sure you never wounded one yourself with your experience. It just a hurt any kind of bear is a different critter if hungry.

Yep moose have been a much bigger problem for me
    I've actually killed a bull moose (with a 500 Linebaugh) that was trying to breed or stomp (or both) my pack string of horses and mules. This happened on the Idaho/Montana state line about 20 years ago and it was only a Shiras moose, but he sure was worked up. There are no moose left in that part of the world since the wolves populated..........

As far as wounding bears goes, I shot a camp raiding black bear (a very large old boar) in Idaho many years ago with a 4 3/4 inch Freedom Arms 454 that I only wounded. Although I seriously doubt he lived very long. I shot him right through the chest (perhaps too far back) and think I got only one lung. He ran off, quit bleeding after a few hundred yards and I never found him.

I've actually encountered more agressive black bears than I have grizzlies--in 30 years of woods bumming and hunting them. Black bears are under rated for their danger, but every encounter I've had or that I have learned of through trusted sources (too much BS out there) confirms that if you hurt them, they will leave. I could tell many stories, but doubt they would all be believed over the internet..............

I pack my g20 with 230gr hardcast as a backup to my 12ga with slugs.

Default Moose vs Bear

I am also much more concerned with running into an angry moose in the winter while walking the dogs, rather than a bear anytime of year. For that purpose I usually carry a .357 with 180s or a Hi-cap .45auto with 230g +P hollowpoints.

If I'm carrying a rifle for bear/moose protection its my 45-70 guide-gun stoked with Grizzly Cartridge Co. 460g WFNGC +p ammunition. I really like this load because of the huge Meplat, and 460grains of lead at 1800 fps is nothing to sneeze at!

Sorry I forgot the venerable .41mag, should have put that in their instead of spray, I suppose it could be considered in the same class as the 10mm?

PMFB-RN, The thought of a .22 didn't even cross my mind, as I ALWAYS have one with me in the woods anyway! Thanks for the info Ladies and Gentleman, keep em' coming!
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by PMFB-RN View Post
    I did buy an old Redhawk in 44 mag based on some of the advice I received here but am having second thoughts about the practicality of carrying this thing.
    They can be a real PITA, but the rifle or shotgun leaning up against a tree 20 feet away when you need it is even less practical.

Having carried a slung 870 for three summers for work I love packing my .44. Look Ma No Hands!

If I really had to I would carry a tuned up 1895 guide gun in 45-70.

95% of bear defense is between your ears anyway.

Default .45 Colt

Ruger Bisley 5.5" with 320 hardcast loaded up stout.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

I always have a 4" Redhawk in 44 Mag on my hip when I'm out 'n about. I have carried several loads, but normally I use a 285-320 FNGC with a near max load of H110.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast