Thread: Kotzebue or Bettles previous threads/current info

Default Kotzebue or Bettles previous threads/current info

Do any of you have past threads marked about details regarding hunting out of Kotzebue? I am wanting to do a bou hunt out of there and I remember there being a few dissadvantages(or should I say inconveniences) so to speak in doing so. I have tried searching but not really coming up with much.

A few things I would like to read up on if they have been answered are:

getting meat shipped back to Fairbanks or Anchorage & eventually lower 48

meat lockers

name of airline/ shipping company that is an affiliate with Fedex(wife gets

coorperate discount through fedex) remembered reading something about it

a recommended air taxi for a possible DIY hunt that is knowledgeable regarding migration. Have heard great things of NW Aviation

any comparisons between hunting out of beetles vs konzebue

It looks as if there will be 6-8 of us and I want to be apart of the planning this time. BTW this is for 2011. My goal is to have something booked by this fall. Thanks

ive only lived in kotz one hunting season but there are no commercial coolers/lockers i believe and the hotel/BnB's can be hard to get a room that time of year. these are two concerns i heard from people that came up here last fall. On the up side there are quite a few flights out of here everyday so the meat shouldn't sit too long.

Fly into Fbks. Take Frontier or Warbelo's to Bettles. Work with Brooks Range Aviation or Bettles Lodge for your trip out to hunt. Fly back to Fbks. Should be able to hook up with fedex in Fbks. If your wife works for them don't ask us.............have her ask down there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I've never been to Kotz but flew out of Bettles last year with Brooks Range Aviation (BRA).

Wright's Air has daily flights from Fairbanks to Bettles and will add a flight if needed to get hunters up to Bettles.

No Fedex but the USPS will get your gear there for a fair price. On the way home you can ship with Fedex, UPS, or USPS from Fairbanks before catching your flight back to Anchorage.

BRA had a bunk house we stayed in for free. There were also a couple of cabins for $20. Bettles Lodge has rooms.

There is definately no locker or cold storage in Bettles. BRA had a large chest freezer that we cycled our meat through to get it good and cold before we boxed it up for the trip back to Anchorage. A little freezer time was good enough.

Bettles is quiet and relaxing. BRA and Bettles Lodge are with in 200 yards of each other right next to the runway. There's no worry about getting across town to a hotel. The locals are freindly and the trasporters come out and meet the hunters as soon as they step off Wrights Air.

The hunting pressure from Bettles is alot less than Kotz so there's much less of chance in having another transporter drop hunters a mile away. BRA and Bettles Lodge communicate and have their own usual drop points so they don't drop hunters on each other.

If you would like more info on Bettles just ask.

Thanks for the replies. I originally was planning to hunt out of Kot, but is sounds that Bettles may be a little easier to make happen. If the hunting is as good or better it should be an easy decision.

One last thing, has anyone rented a truck from Anchorage to Fairbanksand back after hunting? Would this make the commute a little easier or cheaper if time allowed for it.

Default Kotz or Bettles?

Been going to Kotz. for several years BUT..........this last fall while in town for a few supplies my buddy and I were sitting just outside the market, and a native walked up to my buddy and said " we don't like people of your skin color around here"......my buddy being white.

They didn't mind taking the money from the natives claims settlement.......but now want everything back as before. Tho I haven't heard ONE word about giving any money back. The fish and game and US government are trying to do their best to do just that.(make things like they were before the settlement) Some very nice people in Kotz. some very big Aholes too. I have a couple other stories too but this pretty much covers the point.

One bad apple.............iluvatar. Plenty of opportunity for a good experience over all in Kotz. Bettles is better I think. Smaller, more personal aervice.
    Another point is the bag limit for bou. Out of bettles you will hunt unit 26, likely. Limit is 5 bou. Kotz is unit 23 and new bag limit for 2010 is 2 bou. This is for non res.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
    Been going to Kotz. for several years BUT..........this last fall while in town for a few supplies my buddy and I were sitting just outside the market, and a native walked up to my buddy and said " we don't like people of your skin color around here"......my buddy being white.
    I don't doubt that happened, but I have spent some time in Kotz and never been treated like that. I would think that's the exception more than the rule.

Something else to consider if you plan on hunting the Noatak Preserve in Unit 23. This year (and for the next couple years I assume) the air charters are being limited on the number of hunters they are authorized to drop off in the Noatak Preserve. The original poster noted they planned on hunting in 2011, so there should be time to reserve a spot if you wanted to hunt the Noatak. For those considering hunting that area in 2010 and using an air charter, you probably needed to make your reservation months ago. I booked in early November and was still too late, so will plan on hunting outside the Preserve boundary.

We booked our hunt in the Noatak preserve in September and just squeezed in some of the few spots they were giving the transporters. So if you are interested in hunting that preserve make sure you have your deposit into the transporter at least a year out.

as a white kotz resident sometimes descrimination happens BUT it only gets rough during hunting season when tons of white folks flood in. Kind of entertaining actually. Sitting at the airport a native guy yelled "moose" and pointed out the window, every white guy sitting at the airport ran to the window except me and the rest of us had a good laugh....of course there was no moose but funny to watch.

Thumbs up Caribou out of Kotzebue

From what I've seen and done Kotzebue is less expensive for hunting Caribou then in Bettles. The success rate of Kotzebue is way better also. You can get 5 caribou out of Bettles but who has that kind of money at $325 per tag and the cost to get the animals out. 2 Caribou limit is just fine which just got put back to two this year! You have to go a long way out of Bettles to get to where the Caribou are suppose to be and let me tell you that it's a big rock pile to get over or around if the weather is crapping on the north slope side. The weather is crap about 60% of the time it seems like. I hear it's usally bad when you want to go in or out? How does it know? People in Kotzebue are alright. It has accomodations and food at a semi reasonable price compared to other places in AK. Very few days they don't fly out of Kotzebue during hunting season. Biggest conflict I saw in Kotzebue was at the airport. Maybe TSA will filter the problem there. Get in and Get out of town is the best advise! I checked on the Park permits and they did limit it to 5 operators. A few years ago they had 11 so the price of poker might be going up! A few operators said they have spots left for this year but are waiting until the moose drawing to fill them up just in case their people draw moose. They said they may have more openings depending on the moose draw. I checked with Ram Aviation and Northern Trophy both of who I have flown with.

I could not imagine bringing home 5 animals. From what I have read, I may feel greedy bringing back two.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    as a white kotz resident sometimes descrimination happens BUT it only gets rough during hunting season when tons of white folks flood in. Kind of entertaining actually. Sitting at the airport a native guy yelled "moose" and pointed out the window, every white guy sitting at the airport ran to the window except me and the rest of us had a good laugh....of course there was no moose but funny to watch.

I remember how it was when I lived there. The hunters were referred to as "Cabelas army". There are many great people in Kotz, don't read too far into these few statements. You wouldn't like a bunch of strangers decending onto your hometown for a few weeks each fall either.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default free country

The best part is its a free country and if you don't like what happening where you are move, because you don't own it you just live there! I've heard this BS all over the world, sorry but its reality, if you chose to live where there is an attraction , hunting ,beach etc people are going to come there. What people seem to forget is food, cloths, guns,ammo, knifes,snow machines, tax money etc. come from where these people come from. So is it OK to take what you want and resent these people visiting? JM2C.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

You wouldn't like a bunch of strangers decending onto your hometown for a few weeks each fall either.
    I believe there are MANY communities in the US who have "strangers" descending upon them at various times of the year. In fact, most of these communities welcome strangers and the money they bring, and many actually target strangers to come to their town. Isn't tourism a big part of this states income? I live in a community that gets alot of money from tourism.

Hey Dan, you regularly "descend" upon our state for float trips. I don't like strangers in my state!
    ;-)