Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: King Salmon for sale?

Default King Salmon for sale?

Just wondering something. I was looking at many of the fish processors prices. They all sell king salmon fillets. Where do they get them? They are advertized as Alaskan King Salmon just wondering what rivers they come from.

There is a troll fishery in Southeast for kings. I could be wrong, but I think it takes place throughout the winter.

The Southeast Troll winter troll fishery starts on Oct 11th and goes until April 30th or when 45,000 kings have been caught whichever comes first. This year king fishing has been very slow to date. Much of the fish sold on processors pages are frozen kings and these kings come from a variety of fisheries around the state.

Fresh winter kings go for a premium price. The trollers right now (last I heard) were getting over $7 a pound for kings.

From my understanding, they don't freeze winter kings as they don't freeze well due to the higher fat content. If you are seeing frozen fillets, a good chance exists they are left over from this summer.

Just something to ponder...

A good chunk of what you folks refer to as winter kings in AK are actually our summer and fall king stocks here in the PNW.... a good number of which are ESA listed.

Sure wish the powerbrokers of the fish world could find a way to get more of those fish back for the home team.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

physician,

Thanks. I'm curious if you have seen some genetic studies or some other study to show where our winter fish come from? That kind of stuff always interests me.

From several books I have read, when they dammed the columbia, our summer king and coho fishing dropped way off.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    physician,

Thanks. I'm curious if you have seen some genetic studies or some other study to show where our winter fish come from? That kind of stuff always interests me.

From several books I have read, when they dammed the columbia, our summer king and coho fishing dropped way off.
    Excellent query 270ti. I'd like them to do some genetic research on some of the kings caught out west in the trawls. Is it that they are just western Alaska fish or do the gulf stocks make it to the Bering Sea. I know the Japanese caught Situk Steelhead while doing cost recovery at the Hokaido chum hatchery.I also have heard rumors of com-fishers in the gulf catching B.C.'s farmed Atlantics. Imagine if a spawing pair of Atlantics made it in one of our systems

Default atlantic

During a Coast Guard safety class this winter the teachers mentioned that the ADFG and the Bio's are VERY concerned right now about the Atlantic salmon that are and have been in Alaska's fisheries. Don't imagine IF - but rather WHEN they will invade.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Excellent query 270ti. I'd like them to do some genetic research on some of the kings caught out west in the trawls. Is it that they are just western Alaska fish or do the gulf stocks make it to the Bering Sea. I know the Japanese caught Situk Steelhead while doing cost recovery at the Hokaido chum hatchery.I also have heard rumors of com-fishers in the gulf catching B.C.'s farmed Atlantics. Imagine if a spawing pair of Atlantics made it in one of our systems
    I think we'd all be amazed if we knew where the salmon/steelhead swam while out in the big ocean.

A few things about the winter troll fishery... They are confined to fishing within capes.. No outside waters fishing. So, the kings they catch are usually isolated and they rarely catch more than 10 kings a day. It's not like they are running into big schools of kings and catching them all.

Of the 45k quota, it seems a good portion of that is caught the last half of April.. The last few years they haven't even gotten close to 45k. FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Just something to ponder...

A good chunk of what you folks refer to as winter kings in AK are actually our summer and fall king stocks here in the PNW.... a good number of which are ESA listed.

Sure wish the powerbrokers of the fish world could find a way to get more of those fish back for the home team.
    What exactly is a "good chunk" or "good number"? How many of your "home team" kings are getting exploited from these 45,000 winter kings? Or are you insinuating the "powerbrokers of the fish world" should just make assumptions and look to Alaska's winter king fishery as a solution to their problem?

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    physician,

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=55403

Bear in mind that these are NOT just winter-caught salt kings, but represent the CWT's recovered from ALL salt-caught kings.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

in 2005, while setnetting out of ninilchik, we caught 3 atlantic salmon in the same net on the same pick, the biggest was 26lbs, the smallest i think around 8......we turned them into F&G, who told us that they were likely escaped from a farm in BC, and that they happen upon them from time to time traveling with the returning kings.

Release Lake Trout

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default melting pot

I had a charter which included some interesting clients, they owned longliners and draggers and indicated that they once had researchers aboard one of thier boats doing genetics trying to determine what kings they were catching near kodiak and found that they were from all systems in the "rim"
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    I had a charter which included some interesting clients, they owned longliners and draggers and indicated that they once had researchers aboard one of thier boats doing genetics trying to determine what kings they were catching near kodiak and found that they were from all systems in the "rim"

I hope this isn't propaganda....can you confirm this? wait, long liners catching kings? You had long liners or draggers saying this? be specific I certainly don't wanna go spouting this if it isn't true!

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post

I hope this isn't propaganda....can you confirm this? wait, long liners catching kings? You had long liners or draggers saying this? be specific I certainly don't wanna go spouting this if it isn't true!
    All I can say is I spend a lot of time dragging hooks and the kings I catch are white and red and all seem different. some like spoons, some like herring, some like big some like small. When the price is right I jig for cod and rockfish and catch kings, why wouldnt a longlinger catch one or two?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

One of my longliner buddies told me that once in a while they set or pull gear through a school of kings and catch a few kings.

Now that I think about it, I had a client catch a coho in 350ft of water on a circle hook baited with herring that was sitting on the bottom.

I heard a story from a longliner aquaintence that while out in the Bering they had Commercial fishing controller lady on board or something and the nite she decided to sleep, they caught over 500 kings and had to throw them all back before she woke up, or they would have been fined...he said they caught thousands of pounds of kings as bycatch and couldnt keep it. could be a fish story but i doubt it.

Release Lake Trout

i think they were fishing pollock

Release Lake Trout

I highly doubt longliners are catching hundreds of kings. Draggers, yes...but longliners? Not likely. In 15+ years of longlining, we've caught a handful of silvers, but never more than a couple in a season and never a single king. The silvers that bite on the way down are dead when we pull the gear, but those caught when picking gear are feisty and quickly released.

Hunt&fishak must not of been listneing to well,it was not a fish tale this guy was dragging like brian said not long lineing and all those kings were dead and thrown overboard while fish and game lady was fast asleep.those boats truely are the pirates of the sea no wonder salmon runs are down everywere

dosn,t fish and game drag the bottom of kachamak bay to do a crab count?I wonder what there by catch is?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast