Thread: Deadly Reminder

RMK

Default Deadly Reminder

To all who ride the rivers (And that is almost all of us) be vigilant for open leads and thin spots. I know how much I appreciate it when the danger spots are marked with crossed sticks along some of the major routes.

Yesterday's tragic event up on the Big Su should serve as a reminder to us all. As we get near spring, the rivers will become more treacherous. Be careful out there.

Can you provide any details for those of us who have not heard what happened?

Default Big Su tragedy..

For those that haven't heard, a snowmachine went through the ice and the rider has not been found and is presumed dead. Here's a link to the story:

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/13/118253...rough-ice.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Can you provide any details for those of us who have not heard what happened?
    My condolences to the man's family--51 is way too young to die.

WE DIDN'T SEE THE GUY GO IN OR GET SWEPT UNDER THE ICE, but we did happen upon the scene several minutes later, and at the request of someone already there, made one of the calls to 911.

Basically, it happened about 3 miles south of Deshka Landing, not far off the packed down trail. There was an opening in the ice--maybe 40 feet across at the widest point, and I'd guess about 100 yards long, in a soft-S shape. The tricky part was that the open water was close to and paralleled the base of a 3 foot ridge, so those approaching the area from the south couldn't see the open water until they were almost upon it--which is apparently what happened.

From what we were told
    , the first rider managed to make it to the other side (I'd guess that he reflexively used the "when in doubt, power out" method and water-skipped to safety). The second rider, however, went in the water. The open water was moving pretty swiftly (I'd guess 4 or 5 mph), and the ice appeared to be solid and covered with significant amounts of snow for miles downstream.

As a previous poster on the ADN thread said, the ice on the Big Su was overwhelmingly good, but there still are spots which rarely freeze up. It's very sobering to look at a spot 10 feet from the trail where the water moves under the ice, and know that just minutes ago someone got sucked under right there, but that there was nothing we could do to help.

Our condolences go out to the family and friends. Thanks to all of those that assisted in trying to do whatever they could after the accident occured. It is important to stay along the marked trail signified by the green topped stakes. This open lead has been open all year and the trail takes snowmachiners along the eastern bank of the Su. Thanks SR12345 for sharing the details of the incident. Be safe out there over the next 2-3!
    (907) 495-3374 WWW.DESHKALANDING.COM