Thread: Reds on the Gulkana

Default Reds on the Gulkana

I usually fish the Klutina for Reds, just because there is better river access. Does anyone fish and have good success for Reds on the Gulkana?

Default Gulkana Reds

The Gulkana is much easier to fish than the Kultina. Slower water and better access points.

Kings: You should plan on fishing the Gulkana starting around June 15-20 through July 10th or so. The hardest push of Kings come through June 22-30 most years. The bridge area is thick with shore fisherman and the banks up and down river is owned by the local native association so it is tough to fish it due to the access issues. A good plan is a 1/2 day float from Sailors Pit down to the bridge or a full day float from Poplar Grove down to the bridge.

Reds: Same access points as Kings but they start around the 4th of July and extend through September. Many good holes to fish and I would suggest a full day trip from Poplar Grove down to the bridge. This is a real nice 5-6 hours with 12-15 very nice holes to fish along the way. You can hammer the trip in 3 hours if you dont stop to fish but whats the point?

I will be offering 1/2 day and full day float DIY trips for $65 and $100 shuttle provided.

If you interested drop me a line at 907-822-4290
    I live right at the bridge on the Richardson HWY.

Walt

Question

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    The Gulkana is much easier to fish than the Kultina. Slower water and better access points.

Kings: You should plan on fishing the Gulkana starting around June 15-20 through July 10th or so. The hardest push of Kings come through June 22-30 most years. The bridge area is thick with shore fisherman and the banks up and down river is owned by the local native association so it is tough to fish it due to the access issues. A good plan is a 1/2 day float from Sailors Pit down to the bridge or a full day float from Poplar Grove down to the bridge.

Reds: Same access points as Kings but they start around the 4th of July and extend through September. Many good holes to fish and I would suggest a full day trip from Poplar Grove down to the bridge. This is a real nice 5-6 hours with 12-15 very nice holes to fish along the way. You can hammer the trip in 3 hours if you dont stop to fish but whats the point?

I will be offering 1/2 day and full day float DIY trips for $65 and $100 shuttle provided.

If you interested drop me a line at 907-822-4290
    I live right at the bridge on the Richardson HWY.

Walt
    NW,
    Do the natives own the launch/take out? Is there an access/trespass fee associated with the taking out of the rafts?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

No.

The put in are BLM access points and the take out is on state land.

Always a good question though!

Remember a few years ago when the Kultina was shut down because AHTNA closed the roar to Kultina lake? The BLM has access points along a few spots but they afe few and far in between!

Default gulkana access

Every year their seems to be bad information on this subject. Generally speaking all of the land from S.D downstream to the bridge is native land, minus a few private inholdings. Anything below median high water mark is considered public land (State). The access points Walt keeps talking about are in fact public easements across private (Ahtna) lands. The catch is their are different types of allowable uses on different easements. The easements on the Gulkana (poplar, 141, sailors) are all 20 or 30 foot (don't remember which) that allow for foot or OHV access, not vehicles. The Klutina is a 50 foot access which does allow vehicles. To legally drive your vehicle into Sailors Pit you should purchase a day pass at the pit or Gulkana Village. The other trails are basically hiking trails and offer no vehicle access. I guess I get a little fired up because I purchase an annual pass each year (its like 20 bucks for private use) and I know people show up that have no clue about the situation because they got faulty information on the net. If I had my way it would all be public but its not. I don't like paying a fee to put my boat in the river and drive my truck to the bridge but I get more frustrated when I have paid and other private and commercial operators haven't. On a side note the Sailors area seems to get more and more trashed every year with the increasing pressure. If your down there please police yourself and others. I have seen a handful of unattended fires (even during burn bans) and my ultimate fear is some sort of fire that reaches into the many houses around the junction area.