Thread: lynx questions calling/trapping

Default lynx questions calling/trapping

First off i have no trapping experience whatsoever and my calling is limited to coyotes,bears, and bobcat. My questions are what is the best leghold traps for lynx and where would be the best palce to purchase such traps. i might give it a try next season and would perhaps like to get the proper equipment, training, and scouting done in the offseason and also do some research so i stay out of other peoples trapping areas. My question on calling is that i have to travel on snowmachine so every critter in the area is going to hear me coming. Do lynx seem to mind this or do i have to walk a long ways from my machine? Any info/advice is greatly appreciated or any other info about lynx, THANKS!
    ~Justin

#3's coilsprings are the most common footholds for lynx. Snares are also an option. I've talked to some this season who have seen lynx shortly after stopping their machines. I've seen fox come into a call as a guy called while sitting on top of it 5 minutes after stopping. One of the best ways may be to ski about a mile away or so, pretty quick traveling if you have already laid down a trail to a good potential stand previously.

Along with the #3's, I would also suggest the MB650's that Minnesota Trapline Products sells. You can find them online at their website, http://www.minntrapprod.com/

They look great as Lynx bracelets.

AKtrapper26 on T-man

thanks for the replys guys very nice pictures. rugger didn't know who you were till i checked your profile. mel and i had a great time at your house wed. night well have to get out some time. think we might go get some shee fish this week ill definately bring some your way if we do. very nice talking with ya, nice to get some info from someone who knows what they're talking about up here.
    ~justin

As said earlier, #3 coilsprings are probably the most common but many would consider a bit small. MB750 size traps would be a better choice and would likely hold a wolf and will easily hold wolverine. The MB750W is the prefered wolf trap of some trappers. Lynx are not too concerned by snowmachine noise but if you want to consistantly call in lynx you need to call at night.