Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calm water halibut

Default calm water halibut

I hang out here quite a bit but don't post much. I've fished a few times in Alaska in the past, mostly on the Kenai and Kasilof. It's worth the trip just for the razor clams in my opinion. I fished out of Sitka once and rented a FS cabin on Sitkoh Lake for steelhead one May. That was a great adventure.

I really love halibut fishing but every time I go I get sea sick. I've tried the pills and the patches and none of it seems to work.

I'm interested in a three or four day salmon/halibut/ bottom fish trip that fishes some pretty calm water. Wind chop doesn't bother me at all, it's the swells that really get to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at SE probably Ketchikan or Juneau area. Can anybody recommend someone? An "all inclusive" package would be even better. Anytime this summer.

I work and sleep in California, but I live in Alaska.

My wife loves to fish, but she would be sick in minutes after getting on the water. The Dr prescribed a powerful anti-nausea medicine named ZOFRAN. It just plain works, does not make you sleepy. She has now got to enjoy trip after trip with no more sea sickness. Available by prescription only but worth it.

Steve

Default $$$

It is also about $200.00 per tablet!

We pay 10 bucks each actually. But worth it for a great day on the water.

Steve

Default another benefit

another benefit of socialized medicine! Someone had to pay the difference!

Not going to get sucked into a political debate with you, just google Zofran. This is about fishing not politics.

Back on subject, I have found the best Halibut fishing to be in waters that tend to be more exposed to the open sea.

http://www.google.com/search?q=zofra...ient=firefox-a

Steve

RMK

Default Sea Sickness

Or one could say...some pharmaceutical company didn't make the extra $90 they do off people in the US. Those little business jets have to be paid for somehow.

Back on topic....do they still make the "scope" patches? They are prescription only, but I have seen a lot of people use them over the years and they seem to work. (the little round band-aid looking patch behind the ear)

My wife gets seasick in a hot tub, so I have to pick my days pretty carefully. Good Luck.

I have seen the Zofran work wonders on lots and lots of people. It can make you drowsy just like any other anti-nausea drug(but if you are activley fishing no prob). Alcohol will make the drowsiness worse. Phenergan also can be very effective and cheaper too. I have got some OK halibut in Sitka but usually in the open ocean. The great thing about Sitka is if it is nice you can run outside. If the weather sucks and the seas are big you can fish salmon inside. I think charter boats have to fish outside the sound for halibut so ask the charter boat companies about that.

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    I hang out here quite a bit but don't post much. I've fished a few times in Alaska in the past, mostly on the Kenai and Kasilof. It's worth the trip just for the razor clams in my opinion. I fished out of Sitka once and rented a FS cabin on Sitkoh Lake for steelhead one May. That was a great adventure.

I really love halibut fishing but every time I go I get sea sick. I've tried the pills and the patches and none of it seems to work.

I'm interested in a three or four day salmon/halibut/ bottom fish trip that fishes some pretty calm water. Wind chop doesn't bother me at all, it's the swells that really get to me.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at SE probably Ketchikan or Juneau area. Can anybody recommend someone? An "all inclusive" package would be even better. Anytime this summer.

I work and sleep in California, but I live in Alaska.
    If in Juneau I recommend Toni at http://www.hitime.com/
    She'll put on the fish and the water around Juneau is usually pretty good. I recommend talking with her and let her suggest the dates for the best chances of fish and weather..

Default politics not withstanding

I also do not wish to get into a political debate. I am merely pointing out that the operative word in the discussion is "prescription". That usually assumes a doctors visit($). The "RX" also means that the medication is indicated for specific medical conditions--as seen on Google. A doctors visit for seasickness, in contradistinction to radiation sickness or chemotherapy, etc. should raise an eyebrow--especially if some insurance company actually pays for it.. Now back to fishing----have the little woman come out with me----I could use the chum slick.

"I am merely pointing out that the operative word in the discussion is "prescription"."

I thought the operative word here was "calm" water halibut, I never seem to do to well in calm water I agree w/ Steve, its better fishing closer to the ocean... I'm gonna get my wife some ZOFRAN so she can come out on the flats w/ me.

I don't know Southeast fishing, but in general you can find halibut in calmer, shallower near-shore areas - but you'll likely be catching smaller fish on average. It comes down to what your priorities are. If you'd like to spend time on the water and most likely catch 10-20 lb halibut, I'm sure you can find that. In the Homer area you can stay close to the harbor and catch 5-15 lb ping pong paddles all day long without having to get out into areas affected by swells. I can only assume such a thing exists in SE as well. If you want to have a reasonable chance at larger fish, though, off-shore areas are generally more productive.

Default sea sick or motion sick?

While most people that feel sick when off shore they say they are sea sick, but from my understanding they are different. Not that it matters as feeling bad is no fun. With true sea sickness you can run very high fever and feel like the worst flu. Been there (middle of the gulf of Alaska in a storm) did that. I've been told you can have both at the same time but most are only experiencing motion sickness. One thing that always helps is do not sit inside the cabin and look out the ports. Stand out side in the fresh air as much as possible and look out at the horizon.A native elder told a long while back to Remember you think it's in your stomach but it's only in your mind. Mind over matter. Have fun and know that even the oldest of Salts some times need to spit.

RMK

Default Home remedy

I've heard people take ginger or drink ginger tea to combat sea sickness. I've never tried it. Has anyone out there tried this or heard of it? I wonder if it's an old wives tale, or if there is anything to it?

The Scopolamine patches I mentioned earlier were taken off the market for a while, but I think they're back. They run the risk of some side effects such as blurred vision, so I'm not sure how inclined I would be to use one.

You can also chew on fresh ginger. I don't know why it works but that has been my go to. I grew up fishing out of small boats on the Oregon and NoCal coast. There is almost always a good swell out there. 10 ft swell in a 17 ft boat feel pretty big but the ginger helps. Another trick is to not eat any sugar the morning before you go out (no sugar in the coffee). And at all costs avoid the fumes from the boat motor!

I don't know which charter to recommend, but I do know that there are plenty of good fishing spots close to Ketchikan for halibit where there will be no swell. I think the same about north of Juneau. Another issue to cosider is timing. Generally the halibut move into the protected areas later in the summer following food sources. I suggest contacting a couple of charter companies in Juneau and Ketchikan and see what they say. I am suspecting you will find several that never venture outside, and then can give you some specific guidance as to when to come so that the fishing is better on the inside.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Outside waters have swell, but great halibut fishing, inside waters don't have swell but the halibut fishing isn't as good, also chop can get nasty. I'd personally rather deal with swell than chop
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by RMK View Post
    I've heard people take ginger or drink ginger tea to combat sea sickness. I've never tried it. Has anyone out there tried this or heard of it? I wonder if it's an old wives tale, or if there is anything to it?

The Scopolamine patches I mentioned earlier were taken off the market for a while, but I think they're back. They run the risk of some side effects such as blurred vision, so I'm not sure how inclined I would be to use one.
    Ginger has worked very well for me. Not sure if its a placebo effect or not but I started eating candied ginger and saltines while out on boats and have not felt as sick as I used to. It still takes me a couple of minutes to get used though. I also saw a mythbuster's show where they had similar results with the ginger as they did with non-prescription drugs.

Just keep a bag of it on you and eat throughout the day with some saltines.

Default Ck Your PMs

EelRiverChrome - Check your Private Messages through this site. I tried sending you one. ;-]

Zofran, phenergan, Scop patch, and Scopace all work but require a prescription as well as can cause drowsiness(highly individualized). Water should be doable at various inside passage locations but remember in SE Alaska, 1 halibut limit per day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast