Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dipnet Wish List

Talking Dipnet Wish List

I'll start this shindig off.....
    1. I wish they would make a dipnet that would go thru my power roller w/o breaking.
    2. I wish you could use 2 dipnets (sometimes theres more than one king hanging off the bow)
    3. I wish they wouldn't have those little spring loaded buttons on dipnets because they seem to always get caught in my gillnet
    4. I wish sometimes dipnets weren't so cumbersome, they really do get in the way when I'm trying to deal w/ all those pesky reds between kings
    5. I wish fish & game enforcement had more manpower to patrol the bandits poaching more than their limits or not clipping a fin and processing and selling
    6. I wish I didn't see so many dipnet caught fish being dumped at the landfill every spring to make room in the freezer for the new year
    7. I wish driving the motorhome from Fairbanks to Chitna and then renting a charter oh and getting the bounty processed didn't cost 500.00 shoot I could buy my freezer full of fish for that.
    8. I wish the BOF didn't always have to deal w/ dipnet politics, every issue there is has been dealt w/, its like a broken record
    9. I wish Stan Bloom was still the Chitna dipnetters assn spokesman, (the board loved him, NOT!)
    10. I wish I would quit catching all that toilet paper in my dipnet at K-beach
    11. I wish the city of Kenai would keep these beaches clean, garbage and fish guts everywhere this is the mouth of the Kenai for gosh sakes
    12. Last but not least....Testosterone.. I wish I had as much as the average dipnetter

Default I'll bite

I wish Ucida,KAFC,Mr.V, and countless others to stop trying to shut down dipnetting every BOF cycle, in one form or another
    I wish the 90,000 Alaskans that benefit from dipnetting would step up to the plate when the BOF meetings take place
    I wish comfishers would respect the fact that Alaskans can fill their freezers using a dipnet
    I wish people would stop the rumors of freezer burnt fish to the dumps
    I wish Fish and Game would do more when it came to dipnetting
    I wish there were more port-a-potties and dumpster service at the Kasilof
    I wish Dipnetters had a extra fee to pay for the priviledge of dipnetting
    I wish the State would take those extra funds and use it for habitat and infrastructure upgrade
    I wish Comfishers would want to share the resource, rather than trying to shut other users down
    I wish some folks would want to use these forums for social interactions on a positive note.
    I wish allocation was not such a hot topic for some
    I wish Comfishers would think about working all year then rather just trying to make a years worth of wages in a summer cycle
    I wish the City of Kenai would build a bridge across the mouth of the Kenai and allow dipnetting off of it
    I wish some people would get the point a commercial fishing permit only allowed them access, not total allocation of the resource.
    I wish I didn't have to respond to this post, but someone should and I did
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    I wish comfishers would respect the fact that Alaskans can fill their freezers using a dipnet
    Please understand that many of us do. As with many issues, a vocal minority presumes to speak or is perceived to speak for the majority. I am a commercial fisherman, and I am a dipnetter. There is room for commercial, personal use, and sport harvests of wisely managed resources.

fullbush - What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post? The sarcastic comments about picking through those pesky reds and testosterone does absolutely nothing productive. Snide comments only foster division, and we need much less of that on these forums and in our fisheries management discussions.

Default Brian, I agree

On both your points!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    fullbush - What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this post? The sarcastic comments about picking through those pesky reds and testosterone does absolutely nothing productive. Snide comments only foster division, and we need much less of that on these forums and in our fisheries management discussions.
    On both your points!!!
    Aw fellas don't misunderstand my light hearted pun I like the whop and I respect everyones right to dipnet. I also left the door open to others wish lists and the whop wasted no time voicing his wishes. I do wish I could strike the testosterone crack though cause I have an over abundance but its March so gimme a break lmao!

Default fullbush you are right

It is March!!

Default continued...

13. I wish dipnet folks would quit calling me a highliner just cause my wife has a good job
    14. I wish the fly-guys at the cooper landing would quit yelling at me when I pull in to fillet my bounty and dump my carcasses
    15. I wish Capt. William R. Abercrombie wouldn't have forgot to bring his dipnet so we could claim its a long custom and tradition
    16. Trident seafoods wishes they had as efficient of a processing line as the chinese dippers of k-beach ( and the cold storage capacity)

Disclaimer---this is just for parody and light hearted tom-foolery (don't let your waders get all bunched up in your neither regions)

17. I wish the board would for once consider my proposal to open the culvert of Rabbit creek at Potters Marsh to dipping. I once got a ticket when I was 10 for dipping humpys there so I have historical and traditional usage documentation....
    18.I wish the ADF&G enforcement guys would let me hang 8" mesh into my dipnet, You know so I didn't get any incidental trout
    19. I wish a Fairbanks attorney would PM in regards to number 17 and 18

Default Fullbush.... you make me laugh

I wish that same fairbanks attorney would take all my civil suits.
    I also wish that comfishers that testified on local access and use years ago, in regards to dippers or subsistence users and then brought suit for all the out of state comfishers, that were not Alaska residents would make up their **** mind.
    Can't have it both ways. Either you are local and deserve first and last shot or you are from out of state and deserve first and last shot. WHICH IS IT? Comfishers want it both ways apparentely, it just depends which arguement they want to uphold, out of which corner of their mouth it is spewing from IMHO
    Just so you don't hurt yourself I'll explain. During the BOF C&T findings it was argued that to be subsistance you had to be local.
    Now UCIDA has filed a Federal lawsuit for their out of state members to be able to dipnet. Never mind about homepacks, that doesn't back up their arguement, they just want to stop dipnetting. Lousy arguement but they will argue, never the less. Does not compute, Will Robinson, Does not compute!!!

I must be a dumbarse dipnetter 'cuz there isn't a single item in the OP's "list" that even has a hollow ring of truth. Without a ring of truth, there is no humor. Without humor, this is a prime candidate for the dumbest thread ever. What's there to laugh at here?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

" Fullbush.... you make me laugh"
    hey whop if all my wishes never come true, this thread was still a success just cause you got a chuckle (so did I)

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I must be a dumbarse dipnetter 'cuz there isn't a single item in the OP's "list" that even has a hollow ring of truth. Without a ring of truth, there is no humor. Without humor, this is a prime candidate for the dumbest thread ever. What's there to laugh at here?
    dumbarse, the operative word
    JOAT, this was designed to be a light hearted approach to an ongoing argument between alaskans. We're not enemies just competitive neighbors thats all. In all seriousness I tried to make a serious thread denoting the arguing and it got locked up because of negative posts....the whop and I have a friendly thread that offers a little light hearted banter among different users of a resource. Don't take it so literally.

Default I wish

I wish that fullbush would not call my nether regions my neither regions! Maybe your bush ain't quite full? Just cuz your'n ain't don't mean mine tain't! - - - -----> :-)

20. I wish they would have never opened dipnetting! It used to be when I would go fishing in Kenai (to Goodtime Charlies or Eaddys), to keep the wife from getting suspicious I would have to buy 3 fish from the gillnetters, now what is it 40 per household? sheesh really cuts down on my tipping ability!

21. If dipnetting becomes subsistence, I wish the government would just simplify things by combining our socialized medical cards w/ our dipnet license so we don't have to pack so much paper work

22. I wish the state would require a dipnetter to register online so people w/ children know who their neighbors are

to be continued...

Default Very well then...

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    this was designed to be a light hearted approach to an ongoing argument ... Don't take it so literally.
    And now you have opened the door for a multi-quote argument post. En garde!

I wish they would make a dipnet that would go thru my power roller w/o breaking.
    We don't use a power roller for dipnetting.

I wish you could use 2 dipnets
    You can use 2 nets. You can use 3 or 4 or however many are in your household on the permit.

I wish they wouldn't have those little spring loaded buttons on dipnets because they seem to always get caught in my gillnet
    What buttons? There are no spring loaded buttons on a dipnet. It's a piece of aluminum pipe for Christ's sake.

I wish sometimes dipnets weren't so cumbersome, ...
    Again with the nonsense items. Have you ever actually seen a dipnet frame?

...the bandits poaching more than their limits or not clipping a fin and processing and selling
    Got any evidence that anyone is taking more than their limit or a single case of a dipnetter who is processing and selling the catch?

I wish I didn't see so many dipnet caught fish being dumped at the landfill every spring
    Have you ever seen even one dipnet caught fish at the landfill?

I wish driving the motorhome from Fairbanks to Chitna and then renting a charter oh and getting the bounty processed didn't cost 500.00 shoot I could buy my freezer full of fish for that.
    While we all wish things were "cheaper", what does this cost have to do with dipnetting? You pay the same for sport catch as well. And your $500 will not fill a freezer. Have you seen what salmon costs at the store? Your half-grand will get you about 8-10 reds as they run $25-30 per fillet.

I wish I would quit catching all that toilet paper in my dipnet at K-beach
    I fish K-Beach exclusively and I've yet to see any toilet paper in the water. Where do you come up with this junk?

I wish the city of Kenai would keep these beaches clean, garbage and fish guts everywhere
    They do keep it clean. They have a concerted clean up effort daily. And then there is the annual volunteer clean up effort at the end of the season that is starting this year. The place will be spotless come August 1st.

Dipnetting isn't and never will be "subsistence". It is personal use, which is more related to "sport fishing" than subsistence.

Now if you think this is all "literal", it is but that doesn't change the fact that I'm laughing at you behind this keyboard.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

(forgive me but I don't know how to use the fancy cut & paste quote trick, so I gotta type it)

"We don't use a power roller for dipnetting."---Well i do when I have a $7.00 per lb chinook hanging in my red gillnet I don't wanna lose them, the dipnets gotta come thru the power roller. (you guys got our king gear taken away in 1985)

"You can use 2 nets. You can use 3 or 4 or however many are in your household on the permit." -- I don't know about you but I only have 2 hands, the need for more hands would be nice especially on a 40 king set

"What buttons? There are no spring loaded buttons on a dipnet. It's a piece of aluminum pipe for Christ's sake."-- I don't know about your dipnet but mine collapses so i can get it out of the way when I'm picking mass reds, and it does it w/ a spring loaded button

"Quote:
    I wish sometimes dipnets weren't so cumbersome, ...
    "Again with the nonsense items. Have you ever actually seen a dipnet frame?"--I don't know about you but when I get a set for 1000 reds and 40 kings my dipnet tends to get in the way

"Got any evidence that anyone is taking more than their limit or a single case of a dipnetter who is processing and selling the catch?"--uh dude, do you read the paper? What about the chinese of K-beach? they had over 2000 lbs of processed sockeyes in coolers and had a process line going w/ over 200 more reds in a tote. Oh and of course only the head honcho got a ticket because they were illegal aliens and in their culture thats how it works, so our illustrious enforcement was sensitive to their culture ahem, please spare me

"I wish I didn't see so many dipnet caught fish being dumped at the landfill every spring
    Have you ever seen even one dipnet caught fish at the landfill? "---okay you got me on this one! its an argument we use every time you guys attack our industry, my bad

Quote:
    I wish driving the motorhome from Fairbanks to Chitna and then renting a charter oh and getting the bounty processed didn't cost 500.00 shoot I could buy my freezer full of fish for that.
    "While we all wish things were "cheaper", what does this cost have to do with dipnetting? You pay the same for sport catch as well. And your $500 will not fill a freezer. Have you seen what salmon costs at the store? Your half-grand will get you about 8-10 reds as they run $25-30 per fillet."-- really now? if you walk on the ferry to Cordova its 60 bucks, every time theres a commercial opener on the flats any citizen in the state can come subsistence fishing w/ a 50 fathom gillnet, come on out the waters fine! (Now thats real subsistence)

"I fish K-Beach exclusively and I've yet to see any toilet paper in the water. Where do you come up with this junk?"--uh the newspaper states the city of Kenai is going broke because of the dipnet invasion

"Dipnetting isn't and never will be "subsistence". It is personal use, which is more related to "sport fishing" than subsistence."-- Pal, I wished you would have said this in the beginning, I wouldn't have had to put myself thru technology hell w/ all that cutting and pasting...I agree, what I'm scared of is the Fairbanks elite who is trying to turn it into subsistence. I have zero problem w/ the sport of dipnetting, I think its a cool way to get fish in your families freezer. I do happen to take major offense at one gear group trying to step on the toes of another gear group (industry) when status quo seems to be working fine. Thanx for the friendly banter Joat!

Default Hey Fullbush

You need to get a life besides behind that keyboard this early in the AM.
    Hey wait a second, what the hell am I doing up this early? Ah, never mind, my bad. Couldn't sleep, carry on.

You need to get a life besides behind that keyboard this early in the AM.
    Hey wait a second, what the hell am I doing up this early? Ah, never mind, my bad. Couldn't sleep, carry on.
    LOL my friend! All us old guys suffer are the same

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast