Thread: New Beagle Pup

Default New Beagle Pup

I just got a new 5 month old Beagle pup and am interested in training her to hunt rabbits. I enjoy hunting, but have never hunted with a dog nor have I trained a dog to hunt. So far she seems to have had no rules in her previous home, so i'm trying to focus on obedience and setting boundaries inside. I don't really no what my first step should be with training her to track rabbbits, so any information would be greatly appreciated. If their is anyone with a seasoned Beagle that wouldn't mind us tagging along on a tracking trip that would be great too .

Default First day out in the field

So I guess their isn't anyone on this forum with a seasoned rabbit hunting beagle. Well anyway I guess I can fill you in on what I've done with my pup so far. I got a hold of a couple dead hares and I let layla get a good whiff of them and then staked her up, while I dragged them through my yard and into a wooded area in my front yard in a half circular pattern. She followed the scent for a few feet successfully before she seemed to get bored with it. I would call her back to the trail from where she left off and she would continue to follow it a bit farther and a few feet later she would become bored again. Their were distractions from my two young boys, I'm gonna try it again with just the two of us. Anyways, today I took her out into the woods to see what she could do and to get her acclimated to the sound of gun fire. She was a little unsure of the deeper snow seeing she only stands maybe 15" at the shoulder. She did have her nose to the ground almost the entire time we were out in the woods, but never got really excited about smelling anything. At first I thought maybe because she wasn't near any fresh scent, but when we spooked a hare that she didn't seem to see or smell that concerned me. She didn't really venture far from the trail or me and when she did I would encourage her by saying good girl. A few times she seemed to be following some scent and wandered a little bit out into the brush, but when I began to lose sight of her she came right back. I brought my .22 out to acclimate her to gunfire and wanted to start with something a bit quiter than my shotgun. The noise surprised her a little bit, but she seemed to do alright with it. I think she just needs more experience on the trail. Any suggestions for training would be helpful.

Default good luck

I had beagles growing up and we never had a problem training them. Like you said the best way is to run them with an older dog but sorry I can't help you out there. I'm sure someone on here will help you with that. I suggest you just keep it up and eventually your dog will come around.

Try to get into a place with lots of rabbits and when you find one sitting let the dog jump it. Rabbits will normally not run too far and just make a circle ending right back up where they started. If you wound one and let the dog catch it will help him/her get started. If you do shoot one praise the dog to let it know what you are expecting.

Good luck.

Just keep hunting with your dog and when she finally does bump a hare that you connect on she'll start putting it together. Those instincts are in there, they just may be a little cloudy.

I've got a bird dog that preferred chasing snowballs that were rolling down the hill to chasing ptarmigan (until he tripped over a bird and I put it down, now he's a machine - although an awkward, clumsy, no style points kind of machine. Any way if Layla is in the woods with you that's 4 more feet covering some ground that can work to flush some hares, even if she hasn't caught on to what she's supposed to do.

Default get her hunting

just get her out there she'll get the hang of it and so will you....if you can find somebody with a good older dog to run with thats great go for it...find any excuse to hunt that dog....get her on as much scent as possible....i havent' gotten to go out for a while but my buddy just brought me a couple he shot and i just tossed the one out into the yard for my dog to go get.....the first few times i had to go get it to throw again but after a few she actually started retreiving for me....man that would be nice if she keeps that up
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default no rabbits

Good luck with your pup they are amazing little dogs. We don`t have many rabbits so ours has to entertain himself with larger fur bearers.

I have had three beagles at seperate times as pets and yard dogs and they have all been absolutely fearless when a bear comes in their territory. They will wake from a dead sleep at the scent of a bear and be on em in seconds. They are a great solo dog but 2 on the loose can be big trouble
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Good luck with your pup they are amazing little dogs. We don`t have many rabbits so ours has to entertain himself with larger fur bearers.

I have had three beagles at seperate times as pets and yard dogs and they have all been absolutely fearless when a bear comes in their territory. They will wake from a dead sleep at the scent of a bear and be on em in seconds. They are a great solo dog but 2 on the loose can be big trouble

That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!!!!

Thanks for the advice! I planned on taking her out again this weekend, but ran out of time. I can't believe your dogs aren't afraid of those bears!! Well until next weekend, I will keep you posted of her progress.

Wink

I got a 1 1/2 yr old beagle l (Duke)ast spring and I got lucky with him because he took to tracking rabbits on his firts time out. Now he doen't know when to quit and he will get mad when I don't get a rabbit. I got a pup (Duchess) at the end of march and I started to take her out at 10 weeks old. She couldn't run but when I gave her the heart and liver on the first one we killed and let her chew on the other 3 we got that day. Since then I would let her chew on a whole one that I kept in the freezer until the two dogs where fighting over it. Just waiting until October until I take them out again.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeagler View Post
    I got a 1 1/2 yr old beagle l (Duke)ast spring and I got lucky with him because he took to tracking rabbits on his firts time out. Now he doen't know when to quit and he will get mad when I don't get a rabbit. I got a pup (Duchess) at the end of march and I started to take her out at 10 weeks old. She couldn't run but when I gave her the heart and liver on the first one we killed and let her chew on the other 3 we got that day. Since then I would let her chew on a whole one that I kept in the freezer until the two dogs where fighting over it. Just waiting until October until I take them out again.
    Akbeagler, I think we ran into each other on the flats this winter. I had the beagle that just wasn't in the mood to hunt that day. We went out a couple weeks later and she got the bunnys movin but also brought three coyotes in the brush with us with her bayin. I got scared for a bit trying to get her ot come back and get outa dodge before she got munched. How would you explain that to the kids...

we should hook up again this winter and try to work the three dogs together.