Thread: Finally... The "best handgun for bear" debate is OVER..

Default Finally... The "best handgun for bear" debate is OVER..

The .825 G&S Online Express Magnum

It will be interesting to see the Buffalo Bore ammo thread with this cartridge

I'm still waitin for the .88 (+P)

It would make a good carry gun...if you could lift it!

Wonder if the low recoil low flash rounds for short barreled pistoles will still have any knock down power.

Finally... The "best handgun for bear" debate is OVER..

That's until all the animals in the world become impervious to this new cartridge and new one will still be needed again.

I've heard rumors that a new cartridge is already in development, it is named the .1000 AOD MURPHY!

.88---- I wonder if it is really double the .44 or just double the not even .43??

And why not? Seeing as how there never was such a thing as a .45 "long" Colt and as we all new what with coastal brown bear access t the Internet, it would not be long before they all learned about the .500S&W and they would all become immune to the bullets effect I for one welcome the announcement of this new handgun cartridge. Lets hope the brown bear don't learn about this for awhile. Don't any of you tell them about this. Thank goodness this has not been the effect on rifle ctgs. If they ever learn this about my .375H&H's I will not be able to sleep again and can only hope the same fate befalls them as Al Gores polar bears.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Until I can get used to the whole "handguns for bears" thing...I'm still gonna carry my 12ga and my Bear Spray...

too bad it isn't real, I'd love to see the videos of folks shooting it...lol..
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

But I HAVE been thinking about carrying a 60mm, for the BIG Grizzlys.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbMpLHE8ww

Think about that round in a Derringer

Ron

I once cut down a 50 bmg case to make a 75 acp dummy, complete with an aluminum bullet I turned on the lathe.

Too bad handguns over 50 cal and class III destructive devices.

Default How about THIS derringer?

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Think about that round in a Derringer
    Ron
    Ron,

Actually, I have been thinking about a round like that in a derringer. A two-shot double barreled over-under side break (think top break double shotgun turmed 90 degrees) chambered for the 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 475 or 500 Linebaugh or 460 or 500 S&W. Alternatively, the 600 Nitro Express, 577 N.E. or the like.

It would be a 10" barrelled "Derringer" probably weighting 3.5 lbs or so, but capable of delivering two bear-stoppers on short notice.

I figure I probably would not have time to deliver more than two shots from any capacity weapon against a surprised bear anyway.

If you think two shots is insufficient, carry a second one.

Lost Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post
    Ron,

Actually, I have been thinking about a round like that in a derringer. A two-shot double barreled over-under side break (think top break double shotgun turmed 90 degrees) chambered for the 454 Casull, 480 Ruger, 475 or 500 Linebaugh or 460 or 500 S&W. Alternatively, the 600 Nitro Express, 577 N.E. or the like.

It would be a 10" barrelled "Derringer" probably weighting 3.5 lbs or so, but capable of delivering two bear-stoppers on short notice.

I figure I probably would not have time to deliver more than two shots from any capacity weapon against a surprised bear anyway.

If you think two shots is insufficient, carry a second one.

Lost Sheep
    You folks are looking for a Howda tiger killing pistol from the English days of Empire. The link goes to a really old version, but this one is what you really want. Its purdey!

Would not take much to convert a modern break action sxs or O/U. However, I have never enjoyed a full sized gauge with a pistol grip. Taking all that mass away and it would bring the pain in spades. Then again there is that whole sawed off shotgun and the BATF issue from Ruby Ridge still hanging out there so maybe not a good idea. At least not where people can see.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Cabellas' sells a Howdah in either 54 caliber or 20 guage.

Best part of the article...

"This is because big game has, undeniably, become progressively harder to kill during the last century."

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.