View Poll Results: Which Organization do YOU Support?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • AKBHA

18 36.73%
  • SFW Alaska

5 10.20%
  • Sierra Club/PETA

0 0%
  • None, I don't like any of them!

13 26.53%
  • Other

13 26.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Organization do YOU Support?

Question Which Organization do YOU Support?

So it seems like this is a pretty contentious topic and there are a lot of strong opinions out there. Cast your vote and lets see what the results are!

Remember, this forum is all about sharing opinions, so maybe we can keep the flaming to a minimum...... One can hope.

SCI and NRA
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Question Which Organization do YOU Support?

So it seems like this is a pretty contentious topic and there are a lot of strong opinions out there. Cast your vote and lets see what the results are!

Remember, this forum is all about sharing opinions, so maybe we can keep the flaming to a minimum...... One can hope.

Thumbs up

AA, PTA and PITA
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Akres, I figured you would insert some humor at some point and you do not disappoint!
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

I started a poll on another thread (my first, i made a rookie boo boo), same topic. Maybe the mods can merge these 2 threads?
    “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Consider it done....

Default me too

NA,AA,NRA, SCADA and SCI...
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Right now, the NRA.

I don't see AKBHA or SFW representing my opinions very well. Obviously neither does the Sierra Club or PETA.

I'll very likely be joining SCI in the future.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

NRA. Aint nobody takin' my guns!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I don't put much stock in national organizations, especially those that deal with state issues like the management of state resources. I would consider supporting one that originates in Alaska and focused only on Alaska issues. I don't think very many national organizations can represent the people and only bring in outside politics.
    Chuck

Plan on joining the AK Moose Federation, I am also planning to get involved with the resurrection of AKFNAWS in the (hopefully) near future

Default okay ... since there are seventeen AKBHA supporters so far...

and i know who most of you are, how about the rest of you join up!!! (or pop me a PM so i know you are lurking)
    there is no time like now!!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I won't support any so called "hunting" org that has an "us vs them" attitude when the "them" is another hunting organization. Quite honestly, when they do, it makes me question their true intent. If someone is really interested in preserving something, they will work with other like-minded people to come up with the best solution instead of pointing fingers and judging those who don't do exactly as they do. The hunting community is too small to be sub-divided into sub-sub special interest groups.

Ryan
    "If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." ......Fred Bear

Default More choices.

I kinda like the idea of this thread, people can vote and give a nice plug for the group they like. I think however that it would be a lot better with more organizations like, Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Ruffed Grouse Society, North American Wild Sheep Foundation, etc.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Excellent Point

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_By_Choice View Post
    I won't support any so called "hunting" org that has an "us vs them" attitude when the "them" is another hunting organization. Quite honestly, when they do, it makes me question their true intent. If someone is really interested in preserving something, they will work with other like-minded people to come up with the best solution instead of pointing fingers and judging those who don't do exactly as they do. The hunting community is too small to be sub-divided into sub-sub special interest groups.
    Ryan
    Like many things in these times, the growing diversities hinder ready resolutions.
    If I may:
    There exists more and more examples elsewhere of 'conservationists' and 'sportsmen' coming together to realize the importance of habitats, wildlife corridors, sustainable natural ecosystems, and such. In many instances they are coming together and making good decisions, many involving compromises and recognition of the values of science. This can include, not exclude areas that are suitable for enhanced yields all the way to completely natural and quiet places to hunt, etc. User prejudices are shelved to make sure what is valued and cannot be replaced easily has a fighting chance.
    We all know we want our salmon habitat, moose habitat and so on - but particularly here in Alaska we, our government agencies, and our various organizations have for the most part not matured enough to escape special interests.
    How else can we explain away ".....shock collars on bios', failure to recognize ORV damages, the misuse of the 'Tread Lightly' shield and DU principles, open carry in Borough meetings, battles and name calling between all user groups, appointments of unqualified individuals, declarations of war from politicians, agencies acting no where close to their mission statements for myriad reasons, failure to communicate with peer agencies, bucking more esteemed/experienced entities, political will rather than planning and science guiding habitat/resource decisions, ongoing degradation of sensitive habitats......... on and on.
    Until we agree that we have something worth 'preserving' and get serious enough about that and our future and get over the constant denial that there are any problems, the diversification and political will continue to rule.
    Personally, I was raised in such a fashion that I have never been able to separate the conservationist and the hunter - I always thought they were part and parcel, so all this hullabaloo is beyond my comprehension but troubles me enough that I am here 'in the lions' den'. (You too, Ryan, run a bit of the same risk using the word 'preserving' in this divisive atmosphere.) At the same time I know that if I mention acidification of the oceans and that all these issues are interconnected that I am immediately open to severe criticism. Sorry, but when you read where the next shipping lanes are projected to be - you gotta be pretty slow to not realize some changes are coming.
    Folks in Wyoming generally don't plow their wetlands under anymore - they have seen enough water under the bridge, or rather the lack of it, to not deny the value.
    The hunting community is not by any stretch the only 'sub-sub divided' community, but we should be a community united in our concern with the overall health of our ecosystems and planet - without which living close to nature and land will become more and more difficult.
    From where I sit, denial is a contributing factor - or maybe it is lack of education, or pure orneriness, lack of respect, fear - whatever, that is getting in the way of people working together.
    For heaven's sake, I have had radicals suggest my chronological photo documentation of damages is somehow 'conjured'. Now, I realize that some folks truly believe that the 'big man of their choice in the sky' put these resources here to attack in any way they see fit and that there is no way man will damage Mother Nature, but I digress ............ again, unable to separate the conservationist and hunter.

I won't support any so called "hunting" org that has an "us vs them" attitude when the "them" is another hunting organization.
    yep, i would trust SFW a bit more if they were more willing to engage in dialogue. almost impossible to get an e-mail reply from them, or even find one single person who is their spokesman... like chasing ghosts. (although it seems "they" will occasionally speak to tv321. maybe from a burning bush or something... )
    The hunting community is too small to be sub-divided into sub-sub special interest groups.
    i disagree. when an organization or individual espouses an approach to game "management" that is likely to have severely negative connotations to the non-hunting community ( alaskan wildlife is supposed to be managed for the benefit of ALL alaskans, not just hunters) as well as the potential to create habitat destruction in a major manner, then i am going to oppose them.
    when the predators are "managed" to the point where moose reach eruptive population numbers we will have to harvest nearly all the surplus every year. that means more hunters, more wheelers, more crowding, more trails, and less of the "wildness" that defines the alaska we have.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    I kinda like the idea of this thread, people can vote and give a nice plug for the group they like. I think however that it would be a lot better with more organizations like, Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Ruffed Grouse Society, North American Wild Sheep Foundation, etc.

Yep, good choices there. They managed to promote hunting, wildlife, and habitat preservation all at once without getting on the pedestal.

Yep, good choices there. They managed to promote hunting, wildlife, and habitat preservation all at once without getting on the pedestal.
    DU, Alaska Chapter had "no time" for Jim Swan Swan wetlands prior to and even as it was being debated in Juneau, for what that is worth. Just an FYI, though respect for these orgs in general is not a debate for me.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by 68 Bronco View Post
    DU, Alaska Chapter had "no time" for Jim Swan Swan wetlands prior to and even as it was being debated in Juneau, for what that is worth. Just an FYI, though respect for these orgs in general is not a debate for me.
    And...why is this? Perhaps the reader of the forum Need to know, that just across the road is one of the largest Wetlands Refuges in the state of Alaska. There are refuges already established and managed as such. This notion of creating more is..well..to be ignored, as every agency and wildlife organization has demonstrated. Just so you know it and others reading this as well; Many of the nests had to be destroyed and eggs had to be taken before they hatched, at public expense, because the proliferation of ducks and geese has gotten plumb out of control. Did you help with that fiasco? Your suggestion would have in fact made the problem worse than it was already. These wetlands and swamp need to be remediated into habitat that will provide food and shelter for animals.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast