Thread: S&w 329 pd

Default S&w 329 pd

I'm picking up a S&W 329 PD 44 mag this week. I am wondering what you guys use for holsters. I think I want some kind of a chest or sling holster. I like leather but it isn't absolutely necessary. I remimber seeing a bandoleer type holster once. It was bassically a sling with a holster on it. The sling part rested on the right shoulder and the pistol was kept under the left arm. I think the sling part had loops for ammo as well. Anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks Much

Check out the "Guide's Choice" by Diamond D Holsters. That might be what you're wanting if you like leather. I'm shaking the piggy bank currently looking at one.

I've used the "Alaska Sportsman' holster in Cordura. Works fine and quite a bit cheaper.

diamond d leather guide model chest holster great holster system for the outdoors ..
    also try the survival sheath system chest holster

This one isn't a chest holster, Bianchi 7001 accumold thumbsnap. I've tried lots of others, by far my favorite. Along with the 329, 4" Redhawk will also fit in it.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default holster

I use a leather, break-front shoulder holster for my 329pd. It seems that many on this forum prefer the chest holsters - I just don't like having my secured gun pointing at the family or my buddies.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Diamond D is top notch.

Also look at Simply Rugged. They make some nice pancake style holsters that can be belt carried. You can also buy their Chesty Puller conversion straps and use it to carry your pancake on the chest. This system give you multiple options.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I'm picking up a S&W 329 PD 44 mag this week. I am wondering what you guys use for holsters. I think I want some kind of a chest or sling holster. I like leather but it isn't absolutely necessary. I remimber seeing a bandoleer type holster once. It was bassically a sling with a holster on it. The sling part rested on the right shoulder and the pistol was kept under the left arm. I think the sling part had loops for ammo as well. Anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks Much
    *** Hey Cavtrooper please let us know how you like that 329 PD after you have had a chance to break it in a little. I saw one at a gunshop but didn't get to look at it closely. I had read it is really lite.
    I'd like a chance to shoot one with both loaded down 44 special rounds and full house 44 mag rounds.

I have shot factory loads out of mine and while stout it is manageable.
    I probably have 100 rouds theough it in the last couple of years.
    The screw for the cylinder release worked itself out but I was able to put it back on before it got lost.
    Now there is something loose rattling around in the handle so I need to take the grip off and see what it is.
    It also came with a rubber grip but I have no idea how it goes on. I have read that the grip from the 500 will also fit.

Fired my 329 after a bird hunt this weekend. All I had were magnum loads with 240 gr bullets but the recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It's quite accurate as well. Shooting soda cans at 35 yards was easy. I was able to fire 6 rounds rapidly with ease. My thumb hurt a little afterward, but I put all 6 in a group the size of my fist so I guess it should work fine for wildlife defense.

The "X" Frame grip will help alot.

Default Great shooting...

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    Fired my 329 after a bird hunt this weekend. All I had were magnum loads with 240 gr bullets but the recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. It's quite accurate as well. Shooting soda cans at 35 yards was easy. I was able to fire 6 rounds rapidly with ease. My thumb hurt a little afterward, but I put all 6 in a group the size of my fist so I guess it should work fine for wildlife defense.
    Shooting offhand? Good shooting either way.

At a range between ER and Talkeetna, I watched a retired state trooper put 6 shot into a group the size of an ear with my 329 at 15 - 20 yrds, bracing his hands on something. Some guys shoot real dang good.