Thread: Kenai Camping

Default Kenai Camping

I will be fishing the Kenai and seward areas from 10-17 August this year. Two of us are renting an RV for the week and are looking for a place to stay and fish along the Kenai. In Seward we are staying at the Seward Military Resort camp ground. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have only stayed in a campground once there. It was the Russian River Campground last September and it was very nice. Going back this July and Sept in fact. Perhaps take a look online. Easy to find it using Google. Pretty good website wth campground map and such. We stayed on the Rainbow Loop. Very close to Cooper Landing. Be sure to try the Pig Vomit omelet for breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe near Cooper Landing. Wildman's store is close to campground and is a nice little store. Has showers ($5) that are clean. They sell liquor/beer (I think). I don't drink, but other guys could perhaps clarify on that. There is a Fred Meyers in Soldotna where you can stock up on anything you need. Trustworthy Hardware Store in Soldotna is a good place for fishing gear, they are well supplied. Get over to Homer if you find time. The Kenai is beautiful, see as much of it as you can. Very nice area. Don't forget the camera. The top two images here were taken near Seward, bottom two near Homer. All shot along the road. Pretty place indeed.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

. I don't drink, but other guys could perhaps clarify on that.

YOU LIE!!!

I don't drink any more, and I don't drink any less!
    Quartz creek camp sites are nice

Aw shucks. Got me blushing here friends. You guys are too much. I have seen the light man. Changed my ways since seeing you last Sept. No more smokes, no more booze, no more "natural supplements", no more meat, no cheese, no dairy, etc.. I am a changed man. Might even vote for Obama next time around.

-Dan (the new)

Do these eyes look like they belong to someone who would lie?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Smile Those eyes

Gosh, that would be scary- waking up from surgery and being faced with THOSE eyes. LOL

Ha ha ha...

Yeah, that would be scary. Luckily these are not my work eyes.

I won't even drink a beer within 24 hours of a work shift. Wife won't have a glass of wine for the same reason. Professional responsibility trumps party time every time. No exceptions.

But on the Kenai....

Can't promise

I think you'll be disappointed with the Military Campground in Seward, it's basically a parking lot (unless it's changed since I was last there)

The camp itself is nice with some good facilities but the campground is just plain poor, you'll be 5 feet from the people next to you. You'd do better trying to find a place on the beach or thge cityt campground right across the street from the Army camp and just paying the day use fee to use the camp facilities

Quartz Creek Campground is nice and probably not as crowded as Russian River so that's an option. Trail River is a real nice place too.

That bridge looks like one that I've seen in Moose Pass...

Besides the Russian River $ Quartz creek CG's there is Cooper Creek CG in Cooper landing and there are also 3 good campgrounds on Skilak Loop Rd (upper and lower Skilak and Hidden Lake). Make sure to reserve your site in advance (sites can be booked 6 months in advance).
    You can book through here.

http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home

Default Kenai

If you're fishing along the Kenai River, you won't have ANY problems finding a campground.
    By mid August, reservations won't be as necessary as as they would be in mid July.
    Quartz Creek is my favorite and is close to the upper river, just north of Cooper Landing.
    Hidden Lake is another favorite - its about 3 miles from Jim's Landing on Skilak Loop Rd. Once you get to Sterling & downstream, there are beaucoup campgrounds. We tend to like the federal campgrounds - clean & well maintained, but no hookups (though most have dump sites). If you want water & electric you'll need to go commercial. Pick up a Milepost (road guide to AK) & choose your poison.
    Gary

Thumbs up

Awesome pictures Dan! I will research each of those places you mentioned. As far as Seward Military resort goes I only wanted to stay there to take advantage of their fish cleaning facilities and freezers. I figured we could get our kenai fish packaged for home while staying there. We are booked with ProFish for a halibut trip. I fished with Steve in 08 and they are a first class operation. Thanks for all your input guys!

Default Campground reservations

http://www.reserveamerica.com

Enough said.
    Use them in anticipation of high pressure areas as you plan ahead...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by 9point View Post
    Awesome pictures Dan! I will research each of those places you mentioned. As far as Seward Military resort goes I only wanted to stay there to take advantage of their fish cleaning facilities and freezers. I figured we could get our kenai fish packaged for home while staying there. We are booked with ProFish for a halibut trip. I fished with Steve in 08 and they are a first class operation. Thanks for all your input guys!
    Chuck, Drifter, and some others could better advise you, but there are fish processors all over the Kenai. Soldotna and Seward I know for sure. You could get the fish you catch up near the Cooper Landing area processed in that area, Cooper Landing perhaps even. Then your trip in Seward, you can use the one at the small boat harbor. I did that back in 2005 and it was too easy. Right there where the halibut charter came in. Just give them your fish, they filet, vacuum seal, freeze, and either box up for you to take home on flight, or will ship it home for you. Something to consider perhaps if you are letting fish processing determine where you stay. I would consider staying in/near Cooper Landing and driving to Seward for the halibut trip. Assuming that is the only reason you were going to Seward of course. Food for thought at any rate.

-Dan

Yeah, the only reason for going to Seward is for the halibut and maybe silver fishing. When I went two years ago my wife and I stayed at Bear Creek Cabins but I did go over to the Military Resort just to check it out. Again, I appreciate the info.