Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 44 Redhawk that wouldn't shoot

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default 44 Redhawk that wouldn't shoot

    Some of you may remember about two weeks ago I referenced (in another thread) that I had bought a new 4 inch Redhawk a couple years back and that it would not reliably fire certain brands of primers in double action mode.

    Well, a while back I took it to a local (Missoula) gun smith. He took one look at it and told me what was wrong. HE SAID HE HAD SEEN THIS MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE IN REDHAWKS. The top/front of the hammer was hitting the frame too soon and not putting enough strike energy into the transfer bar. The fix? Simple, just remove about .020 inch from the front/top of the hammer so it would hit the frame just a little less and the transfer bar just a little more. I tested the gun today (after he made the aforementioned repair) and it now fires every thing I run through it in DA mode. I can only imagine some person getting my ammo and firing it in this gun, only to have half of the loads not fire, of course the problem would be that the ammo is "a bad batch".............. Just thought I'd report this little developement here. This sorta makes me wonder if the many Super Red Hawks in 454, that have problems firing that small rifle primer, would benefit from having about .020 inch removed from the front of the hammer where it contacts the frame when fired???

    As a side note, I bought three new Rem. 870 "Tactical" models and just got around to firng them today. One shoots several brands of slugs three inches to the right at 20 yards, one shoots the same brands of slugs three inches low at 20 yards and one shoots the slugs right on at 20 yards. I've long since learned that wherever point of impact with slugs is, the center of your shot pattern will be. ANy way, that's only ONE IN THREE brand new Remington "Tactical" shot guns that I don't need to tweak to get them right.............and it's not the ammo:-)

    Thought this information might be useful.

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    Some of you may remember about two weeks ago I referenced (in another thread) that I had bought a new 4 inch Redhawk a couple years back and that it would not reliably fire certain brands of primers in double action mode.

    Well, a while back I took it to a local (Missoula) gun smith. He took one look at it and told me what was wrong. HE SAID HE HAD SEEN THIS MULTIPLE TIMES BEFORE IN REDHAWKS. The top/front of the hammer was hitting the frame too soon and not putting enough strike energy into the transfer bar. The fix? Simple, just remove about .020 inch from the front/top of the hammer so it would hit the frame just a little less and the transfer bar just a little more. I tested the gun today (after he made the aforementioned repair) and it now fires every thing I run through it in DA mode. I can only imagine some person getting my ammo and firing it in this gun, only to have half of the loads not fire, of course the problem would be that the ammo is "a bad batch".............. Just thought I'd report this little developement here. This sorta makes me wonder if the many Super Red Hawks in 454, that have problems firing that small rifle primer, would benefit from having about .020 inch removed from the front of the hammer where it contacts the frame when fired???

    As a side note, I bought three new Rem. 870 "Tactical" models and just got around to firng them today. One shoots several brands of slugs three inches to the right at 20 yards, one shoots the same brands of slugs three inches low at 20 yards and one shoots the slugs right on at 20 yards. I've long since learned that wherever point of impact with slugs is, the center of your shot pattern will be. ANy way, that's only ONE IN THREE brand new Remington "Tactical" shot guns that I don't need to tweak to get them right.............and it's not the ammo:-)

    Thought this information might be useful.
    I'd say that makes sense. I've not had a problem with my Ruger revolvers, but I will file that away for the future. It would at least be an easy fix.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    I believe Bowen does that on his Ruger upgrades plus the longer fireing pin

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    I think that's recommended procedure if you put a lighter spring the the Redhawk as well. My 4" 45 Redhawk shoots good so I'm not gonna fix it

    Tim, Missoula huh? I was raised there, moved here to Fairbanks from Missoula in 91 when I was 31. Headed down there for a visit next month. My folks and my ol hunting buddy still live there. He says wolves are raising quite a ruckus in Montana. He hunts up 9 mile and says they're all over. Blanchard creek as well.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I think that's recommended procedure if you put a lighter spring the the Redhawk as well. My 4" 45 Redhawk shoots good so I'm not gonna fix it

    Tim, Missoula huh? I was raised there, moved here to Fairbanks from Missoula in 91 when I was 31. Headed down there for a visit next month. My folks and my ol hunting buddy still live there. He says wolves are raising quite a ruckus in Montana. He hunts up 9 mile and says they're all over. Blanchard creek as well.
    I actually live in St. Ignatius, when I'm not in Idaho as I maintain a place outside Salmon, as well.

    WOlves have literally destroyed the elk/moose/sheep populations in some Idaho units and have severly diminished them in other places. Now that the wolves have spread hydatid disease to all the game and to the coyotes, who will further spread it, I'm afraid that most of the good hunting in the lower 48 will be gone for the rest of my life time in a few more years. I do think that Idaho has been hit much harder than Montana, but Montana is going down hill quickly too in several units. What the feds did here with wolves is truly a crime, but they had facilitaters within the states governments too.............

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I believe Bowen does that on his Ruger upgrades plus the longer fireing pin
    But I thought if there was a problem, it was always the ammo..............

    I'm a little suprised to find out how common this problem with Rugers firing mechanisim is. All my other RUgers (and I have a lot of them) have not had this particular problem.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    idaho
    Posts
    591

    Default

    I had a 4" Redhawk that needed this fix. If you do it yourself make sure the trigger resets. If it doesn't, the transfer bar might be dragging on the hammer. Also did it to my Super Redhawk .454. That fixed the failure to fire those small rifle primers.


    Wolves the enviro's dream, let the wolves kill all the game so we can stop hunting in order to save the game.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    Wolves the enviro's dream, let the wolves kill all the game so we can stop hunting in order to save the game.
    I have yet to find any of the pro-wolfers logic that is logical, even in the tiniest degree.
    Last edited by Snyd; 03-14-2010 at 14:44.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    I actually live in St. Ignatius, when I'm not in Idaho as I maintain a place outside Salmon, as well.

    WOlves have literally destroyed the elk/moose/sheep populations in some Idaho units and have severly diminished them in other places. Now that the wolves have spread hydatid disease to all the game and to the coyotes, who will further spread it, I'm afraid that most of the good hunting in the lower 48 will be gone for the rest of my life time in a few more years. I do think that Idaho has been hit much harder than Montana, but Montana is going down hill quickly too in several units. What the feds did here with wolves is truly a crime, but they had facilitaters within the states governments too.............
    My Grama and some other relatives are buried in the cemetery there in St. Ignatius. My mom was born there. Been there 100's of times.

    Too bad about the wolf thing. It's a conversation whole other thread. Anyway, nice to meet another ol' Montana boy around here!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Homes in MT and ID
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Snyd,

    Depending on when you'll be here, I ought to buy you lunch or something. April is a bad month for me as I have three bear hunts to go on, plus I am building a new packaging/shipping building. I will be gone a lot. I don't know your schedule either, but if you want to try and say hi while you're here, PM me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •