Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic oven stoves

Default Arctic oven stoves

so i went camping in my buddys A.O. i loved everything about it and seriously considering buying one. The tent in question is the AO10. The only thing i noticed is the tiny stove. yes its light and packable but at 12x12x12 the wood you have to burn is tiny to say the least and seems to burn very quick. I realize this is not a large space to heat and it stayed warm but has anyone tried a bigger stove such as the 12x 12x 20ish one. when you order if you want a 4 or 5 inch pipe hole you would need to know i think as the little stove uses a 3" pipe and would not be campatible. Anyone try a larger stove or is it overkill and not worth the extra weight/few bucks.

Post i have and use the artica...

its bigger than what you spent time in. i use the small stove in it . yes it will burn the small wood fast as it is also a small fire, in my regular moose spot we cut the wood before we leave camp..(a bit out of the way ) if'in we come back in a year or two the wood is perfect...we cut the stuff about the size of your forarm if its birch we split it/store bark up!...on short trips with/and weight aint no trouble i use... a good brand of fire log.. its like cheating...but it works....ps how did u like that dry gear and comfee feeling in the morin ? .....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

that was the best part. everytime you wake up in most tents everything is wet, the tent is wet, gear is wet...yada yada. its nice waking up dry that is whats making me want to get one that and the weight difference between these and 100lb wall tents. my buddy did say he saws up dura-logs sometimes and that they work really well.

I opted for the larger scout stove with my AO and it will almost heat you out (it will if your not watching it or if you burn a duraflame log without cutting it in half). It bigger yet heavier.

Default Charcoal?

If you are willing to take in fake logs to burn could you use charcoal in one of these stoves? It seems like a whole bag would last a week and the heat would go on for hours.

Default Sounds good in theory

Allot of it depends on if you have a grate for your stove. The charcoal burning directly against the stove will be too hot. So you need some separation between the stove wall(s) and the charcoal. Also the duraflame logs are easy to start. If they get wet you can still use them. The duraflame also work good as fire starters. Have tried the charcoal and it burns up pretty fast. I used it more outside the tent with a little grill to cook grill with.

Good point about it getting to hot against the side of the stove. I use charcoal to keep a fire hot when it is raining it also helps green wood burn a lot better.

they say u should put some sand in the bottem of the stove..to help with the heat...charcoal leaves alot of ash..lump burns better.

If the charcoal briquettes burn to hot then according to the website Lump charcoal can burn up to 1000 degrees. It does burn clean but unless it is a really good tent stove I don't think you want to burn that.

going to order my tent soon and im thinkin just the artic oven stove will do. i was looking at the scout stove since its longer and could potentially hold an actual piece of wood but i just think now i would melt the tent down with a bigger stove. never thought about charcoal though interesting thought....

Got my new AO 10 last week. Had to set it up and test it out, I decided to try an old school coleman white gas cat heater. After the heater burnt off I put it in the tent and in no time it was nice and toasty inside. Was 23 outside and 67 inside in just minutes. A full tank was more than enough for a full night.

Steve

I would not use charcoal briquettes because they put out co2.
    If you want to use bigger logs you will need to have someone make a stove out of thicker metal to handle the heats.

I have an extra wood stove that I made for my tent, it not pretty, but it is cheep $55.

On my old stove burning through the metal was always a concern so we carried a bag of sand to line the bottom of the stove.
    This time around purchased a titanium stove and it can burn anything, wood, coal, fat, charcoal, you name it without risking melting. It is also bascially non corrosive.
    But we rarely use anything other than premade "fireplace" logs. Might carry some short thick well dried pieces of birch next trip to see how long they last at night. But a bag of charcoal might do the trick as well. Just hang up a portable CO detector if you are worried.
    Tennessee

Nice setup there Steve. Those old coleman heaters are great. But yours doesn't look so old! Man that thing looks brand spankin new! A keeper for sure. Mines a little beat but still makes heat!

Default Wood to hot

I went with a 4.5 " Jack in my Arctic oven Arctika so I could use 5-4 tapered pipe. I built a 9x9x22" stove so I could burn bigger wood for longer burn times. I used a peice of canvas to protect the floor and elevated the stove on 12" legs.

Problem is even at -40 I still need to open the door at times and the floor was scorched through the canvas. The tent is just too well insulated to make use of a big fire box. Even a 9x9 can put out say 40,000BTU at peak heat.

Last Night I set my tent up and hung a thermometer at the ridge line. It was about 0F. The little buddy stove on low (4000BTU) got the ridge to 53F. On high (9000BTU) it went to about 80F. My 111 (11000BTU) could push temperatures even higher(90+F). Adding a Coleman Lantern at the peak got me an extra 5-15F.

There is a temperature gradient and the floor level stays 30F colder or more than the ridge. I think the very tiny wood stoves are more practical than bigger ones in this sort of tent since past 15,000-20,000BTU you will heat yourself out of the tent.

The advantage of a Canvas tent is that it holds very little heat and a big stove that can burn for 3 + hours becomes usable.
    To me the advanatge of the AO is that I can heat it with almost anything and spend more time doing something other than collecting wood.

Default Video

Not much on you-tube about the AO...so here you are. Made today and last night. I even used the F scale for you lads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HiGuuo8FF4

nice vid and a great looking tent North. Looks as though you've tried about every heating method and have it figured out pretty good. steve i see you sprang the extra $$$ for the camo fly, nice. I like the look of it. Ill be ordering my AO10 here in a month or two. Did you get the heavy duty poles or the footprint/floorsaver/exrta tie outs or any other options? Just wondering if they were worth it. I definately would like the floorsaver so my floor doesn't melt ill probably put some cardboard under the stove anyways. Good looking tent. Do those white gas heaters put off any dangerous fumes? they seem like a great idea especially if you dont have to get up and stuff the stove every hour.

I did have to have the new camo pattern after I saw it. I just got the AO 10 Extreme package.

The poles are the standard ones but they sure look beefy, I don't really plan on much snow use, I'm going to use either tivex or a tarp as a ground cover and maybe some canvas for the floor.

As far as I have read, the white gas cat heaters are safe if they have never had leaded fuel in them. The one I have is brand new. I have only spent one night with it so far, I have used the propane type extensively and have never had any trouble.

The reason behind the white gas stove is I can ship it to the bush, white gas is available in most remote areas where as propane sometimes is not. I also tend to hunt areas that have very little to burn or along the coast where everything is always soaking wet.
    Plus I hate dealing with a sooty, rusty stove and pipe.

I have a co2 and low o2 monitor and will use it, but the AO is extremely well ventilated, with the heater on I could feel the air coming into the tent through the vent.

cool. yeah wood can be an issue here around kotz depending on which direction you go. might try that white gas heater looks like a winner to me.

Post u guy mite want to watch using them...

coleman/buddy / kerosene heaters, they are NOT without vapors .......and the moisture can be ulgy. if u don't get the same item vented, u are not even close, to liveing a long life... after a few days U will HAVE "a little stuff in your throat".....been there.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast