Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinon's on a 12 guage for bear protection!!

Default Opinon's on a 12 guage for bear protection!!

What size barrel? What size/kind slug? What kind of gun?
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default 20", 12 gauge, Brenneke, 870.

20", 12 gauge, Brenneke, 870.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 20"

Can that be cut down for easier packing?

Default 12 Gauge for Bear Protection - Why

...I think the bears are fully capable of protecting THEMSELVES...

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Happy New Year,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    20", 12 gauge, Brenn eke, 870.
    18" 12 GA, Brenn eke, win 1300 with 7 round mag. Smooth bore, no choke. Some sort of flashlight mount and a night sight would be good as well. A sling and a short butt stock are nice too. (IMO a shorter length of pull will provide a more reliable "shoulder" in all possible situations, IE: while wearing your pack and a heavy coat)

IMO, you also would be well off to have some sort of large bore pistol on your person as well. A shotty isnt going to do you much good if you only have one hand free. If you read any of the bear books, its fairly common for a person to loose one arm to the bear but still be able to defend themselves with the other. Sorry to get off topic.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Default Probably

It can probably be cut down by a gs but 20" is the current factory standard.

Default Mossberg 600

Mossberg 600 cruiser with pistol grip and Beneke Slugs. First shot buckshot of course,,, pistol grip wth 14 inch barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    It can probably be cut down by a gs but 20" is the current factory standard.
    Mosssberg 500. One of these comes with a stock, and also a pistol grip. I prefer the stock to the grip because it's faster to point the gun and fire, but both are part of the package. The 18" barrel can be removed and replaced as easily as the Winchester "Defender."

I have this one (Defender), and when I shoot 3" Magnum slugs, the third or four shell gets stuck in the chamber and I have to pry it out, or to remove the barrel to extract the shell. So, I don't trust it for bear defense. I sent it to Winchestar back in the 80's when I bought it, and they sent it back with a note indicating that it was working fine. I believe that it can be fixed by polishing the chamber, and plan to do that one of these days. The Mossberg works like a champ, however, so i like this one more.

Default mossberg 600 sounds good

Is it semi or pump?

Thanks for all the info!

Does anyone have a hand gun forsale?
    200-400 price range?

Default Legal

Quote Originally Posted by mtcop71 View Post
    Mossberg 600 cruiser with pistol grip and Beneke Slugs. First shot buckshot of course,,, pistol grip wth 14 inch barrel
    Isn't 14" illegal? Or, can you get the $200 BATF permit for that.

Could you have as short of barrel as you'd like with a pistol grip?

Search the forums,there is a other thread
    on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Could you have as short of barrel as you'd like with a pistol grip?
    NO, barrels have to be 18" or longer on a shotgun and have an overall length of no less than 26"

The National Firearms Act (NFA), cited as the Act of June 26, 1934, Ch. 757, 48 Stat. 1236, as amended, currently codified as Chapter 53 of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. 5801 through 26 U.S.C. 5872, is a United States federal law passed in 1934 that, in general, imposes a statutory excise tax on the manufacture and transfer of all Title II weapons and mandates the registration of those weapons. Title II weapons are defined as all sound suppressors or 'silencers', all machine guns, all rifles with a barrel length less than 16 inches (406 mm) (SBR) and shotguns with a barrel length less than 18 inches (457 mm) (SBS), shoulder fired weapons with an overall length less than 26 inches (660 mm), weapons classified as "Any Other Weapon" (AOW) and weapons classified as "destructive devices" (DD). For weapons with folding, collapsing or telescoping stocks, the overall length is measured with the stock fully extended.

Most of my time in bear country is spent fishing. Whether I'm walking with my fly rod or wading and casting I find a shotgun to be a royal pain in the butt. These days I carry a 500 mag pistol in a chest holster. It's easy to carry, easy to reach, high enough to stay dry, and the biggest advantage? I'll have it right there if and when I need it. My shotgun was usually slung on my shoulder or left on the beach as I waded up and downstream. A gun on the beach is worthless. A gun on my chest is better.

Quote Originally Posted by mtcop71 View Post
    If the barrel is shorter than 18", I think the BATF considers that a sawed off shotgun. It will probably cause some legal difficulties.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

12 ga. is the best, but! A pistol grip is not such a good option. Really, how many people can actually handle a 12ga pistol grip? Not many with great acuracy. My choice would be 12 ga. shoulder/pistol grip. You have better control when shouldered. Pull the plug, add 3"mag. slug then 00,00,00,00,00.
    Pistol grip's are nice for packing but most can't hadle shooting acuratly in a REAL SITUATION. Shoulder stock all the way.

Default pistol grips

Pistol grips are a pain to use.. really! If you need something shorter than the minimum legal length you can legally own a shorter one with Gov't permission. You would have to buy the gun from a registered dealer. I think a good folding stock is easier..... They make collaspable stocks ala M-4 for Mossbergs and Remingtons that could be used collapsed in an emergency I would think!

18' barrel and Brenneke slugs works for me. WinMossington. Your choice.

These days I carry a .500 Magnum in a chest holster.
    Don't fall in while wearing that anchor.
    Now what ?

You'd prefer to fall in with a 12 gauge tangled up on your shoulder?

My 500mag, loaded, in the chest holster, weighs 1 pound more than my S&W 629 stainless 44mag in the same brand chest holster.

The only people I've heard criticize a 500mag don't have one and more-than-likely have never shot one. Me? I'll be keeping mine!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast