Thread: Frugal Fly Fisherman

Default Frugal Fly Fisherman

Posted this on the make it yourself board.
    Enjoy

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=75098

OP1

Pretty slick man, thanks for sharing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good idea! I'm always interested in ways to do things myself and customize... not just to be frugal but because I'm a fishing nerd who enjoys tinkering around with that stuff.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

hap

Default The Perfect Fly Box

Was thinking about the perfect fly box a couple months ago and decided everybody has it all wrong. HERE is the perfect fly box!

art

hap

Also made some spare spool boxes:

Also make a bunch of thread burnishers/dubbing brushes...

art

Very nice Art,

I just got a lathe and you have some product that is inspiring...

Nice fly box.

George

hap

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Very nice Art,

I just got a lathe and you have some product that is inspiring...

Nice fly box.

George
    George
    Would be happy to show you some tricks on your new lathe... Been at it a very long time...
    art

Default Wood turning

Very nice! Good job Art. I also turn wood, great fun. In fact when this coffee is gone it's back to the lathe for me. Andrew

Default State Fair

I see a future stand at the state fair! Those reels are awesome!, well extra line holder. Still they are awesome, great work.

Default more turning.....

Sweeeet projects... I too am a turning kind of guy, spend a lot of time on the lathe... here are some project pics.. the first is an 8wt switch rod headed for a steelhead run today and the Naknek in June. The second was a 3wt gift to my lady-friend and best "reel-buddy". The third is a box elder bowl. The last one is a 5wt rod turned with cocobolo and birch bark for the handle...

Hap, I love the spool cases. Have any extra that you would sell?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

looks like we have some pretty talented people on the forum that have been hiding there abilities. Awesome stuff, I bet there could be a market for those spool boxes. I know I would pay for a few.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Sweeeet projects... I too am a turning kind of guy, spend a lot of time on the lathe... here are some project pics.. the first is an 8wt switch rod headed for a steelhead run today and the Naknek in June. The second was a 3wt gift to my lady-friend and best "reel-buddy". The third is a box elder bowl. The last one is a 5wt rod turned with cocobolo and birch bark for the handle...

Lazer
    Love the cottonwood bark handle... Managed to get some Ponderosa Pine from a friend in MT and it makes some extremely nice, deep red handles with a lot of character.

How do you like the Jet? Have you got an inverter on it? Is that a retrofit or factory (assuming it is what I think it is)? I have not shopped for lathes for a very long time... I have more than several but do 99.9% of everything on just one. Last time I looked only One-Way had a three-phase motor with freq drive.
    art

hap

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Hap, I love the spool cases. Have any extra that you would sell?
    Phish
    I can always make more... I intend to have some at the AFF auction April 16, likely as Casting For Recovery benefit pieces.

Photobucket is really screwed up today and I am giving up posting more photos from them... Tried to post some ivory handled bodkin and dubbin loop spinner pictures.

Looks like a myrtle handled bodkin and scribe survived...

art

Hap:

Makes me want to turn.

What did you use for that brass ferule?

L

hap

That is a 1/4" drill bit turned around. First I annealed it for turning to shape, rehardened after turning, then drilled the hole in a piece of 1" brass rod. I trued the brass and the handle chunk and used the drill end to make the hole in the myrtle. The brass was then silver soldered to the steel.

After epoxying the handle on I turned it as a unit. Because I did 6 at once there was not much time wasted in set-up...
    art