Thread: Black ball while anchoring

Default Black ball while anchoring

I am new to bigger power boats, and am setting up my new boat (30'). I haven't heard much said, or haven't seen many boats with the black anchor ball required to be displayed while day anchoring. Where do you mount this ball? Do you have to hoist it? Where? How? I've seen the collapsable one from West Marine, but don't know where to put it.

I understand there is a difference between busy places such as the two coasts, but in a remote anchorage in, say, PWS, are people using them? If the regs say you are supposed to, how is the CG, or State, handling that, if you don't have one? Thanks.

I have never heard of such a thing, nor seen one out in the Sound. If I saw one I wouldn't have a clue as to what it meant anyways. I turn on my anchor light and call it good once the anchor is set for the night.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think you are referring to the USCG rules of the road, and there are many different signals. If I remember correctly those are "day shapes." Your vessel is too small, I think the minimum requirement for this black ball is 65'( there are some other factors, but I don't remember what they are). It's been a while since a took my 100 ton class, but I'm pretty sure it's right. I hope that helps.
    Boatless

Default 50 meters or less

First of all if your in an area with little to no traffic you shouldn't worry about displaying anything. A all around white light at night mught be a good idea for peace of mind and "just in case"

Unless you anchor near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate I wouldn't worry about the ball or the USCG.

FishFace is basically correct!

Look up NAV RULE # 30.
    Might I suggest a Nav rules Book for your new Boat.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have never heard of such a thing, nor seen one out in the Sound. If I saw one I wouldn't have a clue as to what it meant anyways. I turn on my anchor light and call it good once the anchor is set for the night.
    A single black ball is the "day shape" that means the same thing as your anchor light does at night. Here's a link to other day shapes and their meanings: Link.

There are lots of rules pertaining to who & where day shapes must be used (Another Link), but I haven't seen any of the above day shapes being used by pleasure boaters in my time on the water.

A dead give away for a boat at anchor, for me, is the orange anchor buoy floating off the bow of the boat. And, at night, I see boats with their anchor lights on.

Default Chapman's

Chapman's "Piloting and Seamanship". Pg 140 of the copyright 2009 edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post

A dead give away for a boat at anchor, for me, is the orange anchor buoy floating off the bow of the boat. And, at night, I see boats with their anchor lights on.
    Kind of what I am thinking, Dan. Lots of rules out there that serve a purpose somewhere I guess. Common sense goes a long ways, too. Thanks for the links.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'm not talking common sense. I'm talking legal technicality. I fly for a living, and know about both. As I said, I am new to multiple day boating, and want to get my ducks in a row. I appreciate the responses.

Here's a link to the pertinent navigation rule.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...s/Rule3031.htm

The way I read it, unless anchored in a designated special anchorage area, vessels less than 60 meters (and 7 meters or greater) in length are required display the ball day shape when at anchor during the day.

On the other hand, I've been cruising SE Alaska for years, and don't believe I've ever seen a recreational vessel displaying a ball while at anchor.

i seen them used around sitka. the charter boats anker up right in the trolling lanes and put up a black ball. really is a big feud between the trollers and charter boats there.