Thread: Pak canoe, catacanoed?

Default Pak canoe, catacanoed?

I love my Pak Canoe. Some folks have found them fragile but to me it works like an honest to goodness canoe should. I have the 170 and find it a good solo boat. I love the way the ends flex up over souse holes and rough water. The weight of a moose might be just a bit much and If I want to bring a partner no dice.

Read Strahans, Flaoting Hunting book and have started thinking about getting another Pak 170 and stowing it at trips beginning. If I get a moose assembling the second boat and tying them together ala-catacanoe style with two spruce poles would give me quite a craft. I could even bring a 2HP outboard and make some time.

Anybody try this or am I breaking new ground?

I haven't tried it. I like the idea of a moose float hunt in a canoe. I have an Old Town but no atv. I am always thinking of a way to maximize the canoe. Hopefully you wouldn't have to portage two canoes, meat and motor. That could make for a big job. Good luck.

I have used my Scott Hudson Bay on many moose hunts. Now that would be hard to portage! The 170 weighs 55 pounds or so. Portaging two wouldn't be so bad.

I seem to have finaly figured out moose a bit and have been pretty successful lately. The big thing is to go where moose generally are and stay a while to figure out specifically where they are. Once located the 358 Norma sorts it out pretty quickly.

The idea of a total wilderness trip appeals to me and I don't want to buy a raft. I think this cata-canoe pak boat idea will work.