Thread: Moorage Alternative

Default Moorage Alternative

I thought I'd give you all a heads up on the best kept secret in PWS. the Cordova Small Boat harbor. Its the most modern harbor in the N.Gulf Coast w/ permanent slips available at about half the cost of Whittier. Face it Whittier Harbor is run by amateurs at best. They charge 30 bucks to use their rinky dink knuckle crane, if its working. Cordova has 6 heavy duty cranes available any time just hit the power switch and you're loading anything you want on the boat, for free from 4-wheelers to moose. theres two 1st class grids and the best Volvo and mercruiser service in the state. I have a permanent slip for a 32'X11.5' and its under a 1000 bucks w/ a water faucet for every slip as well as cable tv, internet phone and electricity hookups (extra for these items). Now the cool thing....the high speed ferry, yep you can be in Cordova from Whittier in 3 short hours w/ your vehicle! Its awesome, plus the east side of the sound is much less crowded and access to the halibut grounds is much closer. Oh and don't forget the deer and moose hunting. My friends and fishing compadres would kill me for spouting this info on here but its the least I could do to offer a little in return here because I sure have learned some good info on here....thanx for letting me participate BTW

You may want to look at the Ferry system schedule for this summer. I had a trip booked in May and was informed last week that the Fast Ferry wasn't running and much different routes were being run by the slow boat. Not sure if that is all summer or not - Really screwed up my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    You may want to look at the Ferry system schedule for this summer. I had a trip booked in May and was informed last week that the Fast Ferry wasn't running and much different routes were being run by the slow boat. Not sure if that is all summer or not - Really screwed up my plans.
    OH OH! Doesn't that just beat all! I'll call my buddy his wife works at the ferry terminal, she'll provide us w/ the real 411

I wouldn't let them guys at the volvo place in cordova touch anything on my boat.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Gee Steve

Not even the dirty waste oil?

LOL

Joking

I take it you are not fond of them

My itenerary for May went from a 3 hour ride on Saturday to a 14.5 hour ride on Sunday to get from Valdez to Cordova. The return trip went from a 3 hour morning ride on Friday to a 5 hour ride that doesn't get into Valdez until 2:30 AM Saturday morning. The fast ferry is not running in the sound in May and there is no schedule listed for June for PWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post

LOL

Joking

If you stop by my booth at one of the shows just ask me about them and i'll tell ya why i think so highly of them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I wouldn't let them guys at the volvo place in cordova touch anything on my boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post

LOL

Joking

Why is that Steve?

Hey Alaskanmutt-- thanks for bringing up waste oil. There are 2 waste oil dump sites on each end of the harbor. Oh yeah, you don't have to call the harbormaster to get the padlock key so they can charge you like in Whittier...another service provided. They provide all services for at no cost, they figure its included w/ the moorage fee.
    people may think I have issues w/ Whittier Harbor, they're right! The state (us)gave them the Harbor that we paid for. The state (we) continues to fund the City Of Whittier for harbor upkeep..In my opinion they take us to the cleaners, they even charge to launch your boat, then to top it off once its in the water you pay a daily moorage even if you're there 5 min. No I don't have much good to say about the way the city council of Whittier handles harbor management. They treat it as their #1 resource for cash.

[QUOTE=fullbush;688082]Why is that Steve?

If you've seen some of my posts on outdrives you may know i have aprox 10,000 hours on one of my drives and nobody but one guy has ever touched it (not the guys in cordova). The guy that works on my drives (also gillnetted the sound) has seen more and more drives that were worked on in cordova with parts put in backwards, shims left out, bad lap jobs on the shifting cones and countless other nightmares that caused perfectly good drives to fail early. Early in my career i went into C.O. and had them drill & tap a hole in the plug that is on top of the bell housing on my volvo drive, i supplied the plug and a grease zerk, took them 2 days to do the job and charged me $75 bucks!!! for a hole and to run a tap throught it, never again. Before that i went in there looking for a seal for my raw water pump, the guy behind the counter tells me that that pump can't be resealed??? you have to buy a new pump for $450.00 well i went next door a good old Ed Maxwells and sure no problem how many seals do you need we have them. C.O is closed on sunday(height of the season when everyone needs them) they have to go to church but first thing on monday screw your fellow man. I will never ever deal with that outfit again. Thats why i don't like them.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default I feel the same way

About Alaska Sales and No Service
    And I even used to work for those crooks

[QUOTE=potbuilder;689010]
    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Why is that Steve?

If you've seen some of my posts on outdrives you may know i have aprox 10,000 hours on one of my drives and nobody but one guy has ever touched it (not the guys in cordova). The guy that works on my drives (also gillnetted the sound) has seen more and more drives that were worked on in cordova with parts put in backwards, shims left out, bad lap jobs on the shifting cones and countless other nightmares that caused perfectly good drives to fail early. Early in my career i went into C.O. and had them drill & tap a hole in the plug that is on top of the bell housing on my volvo drive, i supplied the plug and a grease zerk, took them 2 days to do the job and charged me $75 bucks!!! for a hole and to run a tap throught it, never again. Before that i went in there looking for a seal for my raw water pump, the guy behind the counter tells me that that pump can't be resealed??? you have to buy a new pump for $450.00 well i went next door a good old Ed Maxwells and sure no problem how many seals do you need we have them. C.O is closed on sunday(height of the season when everyone needs them) they have to go to church but first thing on monday screw your fellow man. I will never ever deal with that outfit again. Thats why i don't like them.
    I don't blame you one bit Steve! I have hamilton jets so I never had to deal w/ their mechanics. My favorite shop in the state is Harbor Hydraulics in Cordova. (even though Ray shipman is a cantankorous old curmudgeon) he has Seattle prices on everything. He is hands down cheaper than those crooks at West Marine, so is Redden Net and LFS. I can't see how West Marine even stays in business

[QUOTE=fullbush;689797]
    I don't blame you one bit Steve! I have hamilton jets so I never had to deal w/ their mechanics. My favorite shop in the state is Harbor Hydraulics in Cordova. (even though Ray shipman is a cantankorous old curmudgeon) he has Seattle prices on everything. He is hands down cheaper than those crooks at West Marine, so is Redden Net and LFS. I can't see how West Marine even stays in business
    Yup Ray does have what you need if you need hydraulics, jet parts or some commercial fishing gear and if he doesn't have it then just head over to Redden or Mikey over at LFS. I used to hang gear for LFS in Naknek before and after the fishing in the bay. No need to even mention West they always have what you don't need. I've been trying to get LFS to open a place in town for years(i offered to mamage it) but they are real slow moving to open new stores.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

[QUOTE=fullbush;689797]
    I can't see how West Marine even stays in business
    One secret to West Marine here in Anchorage is you look the price up on the internet then when you go to buy you tell them you want that price not the Anchorage price. The guy with the long beard told me that one. They don't advertise ti but they honor it.

[QUOTE=Alaskanmutt;689830]
    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post

One secret to West Marine here in Anchorage is you look the price up on the internet then when you go to buy you tell them you want that price not the Anchorage price. The guy with the long beard told me that one. They don't advertise ti but they honor it.
    I'll have to try that. I've got one of West's wholesale card's and even the prices there a inflated for "alaska" prices.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692