Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: need xpert advice

  1. #1

    Question need xpert advice

    I just snagged a 1892 Marlin in .32 cal. I'll be using the centerfire firing pin, and was wondering if one could make .32 long Colt cases from .32 S&W long cases by running them thru a .32 long colt sizer die? I can get .32 short colt ammo, and just hashing it over, whether to reload or not. I also don't know if there is enough gain between the short and long to make it worthwhile either. What do you think?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    I just snagged a 1892 Marlin in .32 cal. I'll be using the centerfire firing pin, and was wondering if one could make .32 long Colt cases from .32 S&W long cases by running them thru a .32 long colt sizer die? I can get .32 short colt ammo, and just hashing it over, whether to reload or not. I also don't know if there is enough gain between the short and long to make it worthwhile either. What do you think?
    I certainly don't qualify as an expert, but what do you plan to do with it that you would need the extra power? I would say just use the shorts and have fun, but if you're looking for a project it could be fun to make up the rounds too.

  3. #3

    Default Browns?

    Quote Originally Posted by wodje96 View Post
    I certainly don't qualify as an expert, but what do you plan to do with it that you would need the extra power? I would say just use the shorts and have fun, but if you're looking for a project it could be fun to make up the rounds too.
    Actually, just vermin. varmits and plinking. You're right, for what I'm going to do, shorts will works just fine. I did find a source for 32 long cold cases, and have some coming, along with some short cases and cast bullets. I wasn't going to reload, but as expensive as factory ammo is, I decided to. It wouldn't take too many factory boxes to pay for all my reloading stuff. This rifle's too sweet not shoot. And back to the original question about making 32 long out of 32 S&W, my die maker bluntly said, "hell no!"...end of story. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

  4. #4
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    I don't know about .32 but in .45s S&W and Colt rims are different.

    According to Cartridges of the World:
    There are 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long, the long is the same as 32 New Colt Police and 32-44 Target. It gives no measurements at all, not even bullet diameter. Calls for bullet weights of 90g, and 98g.

    32 long Colt, 32 short Colt, and 32 S&W Gallery are all listed as the same round of different lengths with a bullet diameter of .313 originally and later changed to .299 to allow for lubrication ribs. Bullet weights of 55g, 80g, and 82g.

    So reading between the lines I think the 32 S&W is slightly larger diameter but due to convoluted Victorian marketing names its hard to tell what the heck is going on. Only way to know anything is to get specked drawings or actual brass to compare but there is bound to be something out there that you can make 32 Long Colt brass from.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  5. #5

    Talking Your reading...

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    [So reading between the lines I think the 32 S&W is slightly larger diameter but due to convoluted Victorian marketing names its hard to tell what the heck is going on. Only way to know anything is to get specked drawings or actual brass to compare but there is bound to be something out there that you can make 32 Long Colt brass from.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    between the lines is correct and the die maker stated that even if the dies could handle the presssure, the press probably wouldn't, because the case head is too large to size down. There's a way to do it, because the Long cases I have coming are made from the 32S&W case, but he's probably not using conventional sizing equipment. I have a schematic of both cases, and there's noticeable differences. You're right about the confussion with all the 32's, long and short, extra short and extra long, etc. Enough to make one's head spin and fall off.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

  6. #6
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    between the lines is correct and the die maker stated that even if the dies could handle the presssure, the press probably wouldn't, because the case head is too large to size down. There's a way to do it, because the Long cases I have coming are made from the 32S&W case, but he's probably not using conventional sizing equipment. I have a schematic of both cases, and there's noticeable differences. You're right about the confussion with all the 32's, long and short, extra short and extra long, etc. Enough to make one's head spin and fall off.
    You can't use a reloading press mostly because the shell holder is in the way of getting all the way down to the head and without it you have a stuck case. I do have some ideas from my former life as a machinist of how I would go about it though.

    The normal way would be have a tool and die man (which is hard to find in the CNC age) make you a swaging die that is basically just a tool steel plate with a couple precision holes in it. You take the plate and using an arbor press shove the case in the first hole to get the body size down so it will start in the next hole. Turn the plate over, drop a rod in the case, and press it back out. Then do it again in a hole without a feeding taper to it so it will get the rest of the way down to the rim.

    If it was me I would do the same thing using a reloading die I cut to remove the radius at the bottom so it would size all the way to the rim. First run it through the reloading press and normal die so the case mouth will start in the modified die. Then press it in and out of the modified die with an arbor press. It would take some tinkering and some ruined brass but I think it would work fine.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  7. #7

    Thumbs up What you say...

    Andy, makes sense to me. I imagine the supplier probably swages the case. He states that it's a lot of work and why they're so pricey. I just purchased some...me getting that involved in this project is a little more than I need, just for some S&G shooting. Even with buying the cases, it's still fairly involved. Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •