Thread: Lights in shrimp pots

Default Lights in shrimp pots

Just wondering if this really works, has anybody tried using lights in there shrimp pots? What were the results? Is it really worth spending the money on the lights?

Tried it and doesn't work. Tried it in several locations to be sure and no change in catch.

You want something that works? Get some of Potbuilders Pots and his shrimp crack. Use the money from the lights and buy more shrimp crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    Tried it and doesn't work. Tried it in several locations to be sure and no change in catch.

You want something that works? Get some of Potbuilders Pots and his shrimp crack. Use the money from the lights and buy more shrimp crack.
    I beg to differ. Last year I did an experiment with two pots on three different trips. I had two of potbuilders pots, two identical B&J's bait containers w/Steve's shrimp crack, and one CML underwater flashing light. Both pots were ran on the same line. I rigged the CML to the underside of the bait lid, and alternated the pot's position in the line from first to second on each pull to narrow out that excuse. The pot with the light produced, on average, 15% more shrimp per pull. This was my way of testing my hypothesis on the underwater CML's, and I now run them in all my pots. My pots are lit up like an underwater disco buffet and the shrimp seem to like it!

P.S. You can't buy much shrimp crack with the money saved from not buying the lights since they only cost $4.50 each at B&J's. Buy the ones like this. They last 300 hours and work at depths up to 2000 ft. They are water activated and turn off automatically once dry.

Back in Texas, it is common to see people use 4,000 watt generators rigged with train lights at night. The purpose is to draw baitfish and shrimp, and hence the fish that feed on 'em!

I've also used glowsticks in my crab pots and it even brought in shrimp. Then again, I'm contrasting two totally different fisheries yet some things such as light attractedness might be a universal trait shared with other species or sub-species.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I beg to differ. Last year I did an experiment with two pots on three different trips. I had two of potbuilders pots, two identical B&J's bait containers w/Steve's shrimp crack, and one CML underwater flashing light. Both pots were ran on the same line. I rigged the CML to the underside of the bait lid, and alternated the pot's position in the line from first to second on each pull to narrow out that excuse. The pot with the light produced, on average, 15% more shrimp per pull. This was my way of testing my hypothesis on the underwater CML's, and I now run them in all my pots. My pots are lit up like an underwater disco buffet and the shrimp seem to like it!

P.S. You can't buy much shrimp crack with the money saved from not buying the lights since they only cost $4.50 each at B&J's. Buy the ones like this. They last 300 hours and work at depths up to 2000 ft. They are water activated and turn off automatically once dry.
    Thanx for the good info larsenvega! So I just ask the folks at the counter in B&J for for a CML light?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Thanx for the good info larsenvega! So I just ask the folks at the counter in B&J for for a CML light?
    Yep, just ask them where the CML's are and they'll show you. They come in a variety of colors, but I prefer white or yellow. Don't forget that these are awesome for halibut fishing too. I forgot to mention that in my post above. All of my large halibut have been caught on P-Line Hexbars with CML's rigged to them. Just be sure to switch the hooks out. Ask them to show you some rigging options while you are there and they'll hook you up.

How do you know the lights stay on when they go deep???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

How about these lights??? No batteries ,no pressure switch, works down to 6000ft, constant light output , turns itself on/off automatically and here's the best part its powered by saltwater !!! Burn time 800 hours. I'm thinking about having some for the shows. Oh Yeah i did test fish one last year, cool looking green glow when your hauling your pots up.
    P3130433.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hey Potbuilder... I've heard nothing but good comments and compliments about your gear. I have a little 16' SeaRunner and want to throw out a pot or maybe two while I'm out joy riding out of Whittier. Can you give me an approximate cost to set 1 pot up? I mean pot, line, bouy, shrimp crack, everything to get going. I'm on a tight budget but would like to haul up a few shrimp if I can afford the gear.

Yep, just ask them where the CML's are and they'll show you. They come in a variety of colors, but I prefer white or yellow. Don't forget that these are awesome for halibut fishing too. I forgot to mention that in my post above. All of my large halibut have been caught on P-Line Hexbars with CML's rigged to them. Just be sure to switch the hooks out. Ask them to show you some rigging options while you are there and they'll hook you up.

For halibut, do you have to rig them down close to the hook for them to be effective? I tried them a couple of years ago and saw absolutely no difference for halibut, but I think I had them attached up by the weight.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    How do you know the lights stay on when they go deep???
    They're fully sealed, and are activated the instant they hit the water. On the few times I have set my pots at dusk, you can watch the pots descend into the deep for quite a ways due to the bright flashing. They are so bright that it is dang near what a camera flash would produce. Since they are rated to 2000 feet, I have no doubt that they are flashing at the 400 to 500 feet my pots are resting at. These, in conjunction with your pots and shrimp crack, make quite the effective tool in getting all them tasty bugs!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    For halibut, do you have to rig them down close to the hook for them to be effective? I tried them a couple of years ago and saw absolutely no difference for halibut, but I think I had them attached up by the weight.
    By the hook is one rigging option, but I like to attach them at the top of my jig with a small clip. This allows the light to flash and reflect off the jig, as well as float freely on one end which makes a tapping sound on each jigging movement. Bait and hook are on the bottom of the jig. My theory is that the light and sound simply attract the halibut to my general area, but they seem to always hit the bait and hook end. With the light, I have noticed much more violent hits than without. There's no nibbling going on when they see this setup! I'm just jigging one minute, then BAM, fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post

I've rigged them before, because my dad likes them. I just rigged them with a ring like on on your key chain, hooked directly to the eye on the hook. They look really neat when you use a big skirt over the top of them along with your bait. I talked a lot crap to my dad the whole way out to Montague about his dumb idea with the lights. He out fished me 3 to 1 and got two around 100lbs. It could be luck or it could be the lights, but I still don't use them.
    Boatless

Last season I rigged one where the line met the leader (24inch) above the hook and within 5 min on bottom had a very violent strike! Then nothing, and I mean nothing. Closer examination back on the surface revealed the fish inhaled the light at the strike and pulled it off the line as it was only attached with the ganion clip that comes on them. Then after rigging another light with a hook of it's own, I fished all day with out another bite.Mike

We found no difference in our catch by adding the CML lights to our shrimp pots. After trying them out all summer I'd say your better off buying more shrimp crack from Steve too!
    However, since I still have 'em, i'll try using them for halibut as a couple people have stated above and see how that goes.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Hey Potbuilder... I've heard nothing but good comments and compliments about your gear. I have a little 16' SeaRunner and want to throw out a pot or maybe two while I'm out joy riding out of Whittier. Can you give me an approximate cost to set 1 pot up? I mean pot, line, bouy, shrimp crack, everything to get going. I'm on a tight budget but would like to haul up a few shrimp if I can afford the gear.
    I'll send you a PM with the cost.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Light for shrimp

I have never tried the lights in a shrimp pot but I will give it a shoot this summer. The flashing lights for halibut fishing are hit and miss. Some days you think they are working and the next day nothing. It is better to mix up your attack with bait, jigs, and lights. I normally will fish one pole with bait and a light and mix it up with the others. Most of my rigs have glow items like squid, beads, and glow tubes.

I have run tests with the lights in our pots many times the last two years. Usually I alternate which pot the lights are in, on a string of 5 pots. The first couple times each year that we did the tests, the pots with the lights in them averaged 15-20 more shrimp. However, toward the end of each season, the lit pots did not have a measurable difference. While the lights seemed to not be worn out in our later tests (because they still still lit up when wet) I concluded that the intensity wore out and did not attract the shrimp as well. We will be using lights again.

I concur with the use of the lights for halibut also.

Here's a pic of one of my halibut jigs with a CML light for those that haven't seen one. She's a deadly setup!
    Attached Images Attached Images