Thread: Thought I bought a 30/06

Default Thought I bought a 30/06

So I bought a 1903 and I sure looked sweet all shiny and stuff. Well stupid me figure it is an 06. Just assumed and as I came home from work and looked at it something just did not look right. So I took an 06 round tried to chamber. It wont fit. so I caliper the bore it is +/- .290. ?? guess it is off to the smith and have it looked at. Not sure what I have now. No stamp on barrel and I can tell it is canted to the left as the front sight band is a tad off. So what do you folks think I might have. Always pays to check before firing a used weapon don't it Receipt says Springfield Sporter..30/06

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFSTER View Post
    So I bought a 1903 and I sure looked sweet all shiny and stuff. Well stupid me figure it is an 06. Just assumed and as I came home from work and looked at it something just did not look right. So I took an 06 round tried to chamber. It wont fit. so I caliper the bore it is +/- .290. ?? guess it is off to the smith and have it looked at. Not sure what I have now. No stamp on barrel and I can tell it is canted to the left as the front sight band is a tad off. So what do you folks think I might have. Always pays to check before firing a used weapon don't it Receipt says Springfield Sporter..30/06
    maybe it was rebarreled to .284? i dunno though. dont know of anything .290.

I was leaning to the.280 and will admit a degree of error with my caliper. Butt it is close but nowhere close to .308. This is kinda fun and gives my something to tinker with and keep my gunsmith in mortage money. (HA) If i don't have a warm fuzzy on it, New Montana Barrel or mcgowen should fix that.

Default GI barrels

I've got some new and used orginal barrels that will fit it. It's probably not worth spending the big bucks to put a new barrel in it unless it is a very nice conversion.

Try some empty brass in it or try some .270 and .7mm .284 bullets in the muzzel and you can probably tell which bore it is.

Also - what kind of front sight does it have? Odd that it would not be lined up if it was rebarreled.

I was leaning to the.280 and will admit a degree of error with my caliper. Butt it is close but nowhere close to .308. This is kinda fun and gives my something to tinker with and keep my gunsmith in mortage money. (HA) If i don't have a warm fuzzy on it, New Montana Barrel or mcgowen should fix that.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The side of the front sight is stamped CA Dahl? never heard of him but google showed his name as a sight MFG. It is a hooded ramp style ala Ruger Tropical looking. It is canted to the left a tad, but the hash marks on the barel and receiver are lined up. I thought this odd also. After a hard push I got an 06 factory to chamber but it was way tighter than it should have been. It may be a hang up in the chamber. Either way going to have it gone through. The barrel looks new and the lands and grooves look great as well.

Pat Dahl was smith in Billings till the 70's...

Manual of Firearms design lists CA Dahl as a smith out of Chicago that did ramps only? for what that is worth. The numbers on the receiver put it at 1948.

Please let us know what you have; I am curious. thx. J.

Default 1903

I have a ramp or two made by Dahl - they were on Springfields and fit the front of the barrel contour. If you can remove the ramp you might want to check for numbers and letters under the ramp unless it has been cut off to less than 24".

You may want to recheck your serial numbers again - they stopped making 1903 and 1903A3s in 43 or 44.

Odds are someone put a new barrel on your 1903 and didn't chamber it. Is it a 2 or 4 groove barrel? There were a lot of new 2 groove barrels out there that got fitted to sporterized '03s with shot out orginal barrels.

Manual of Firearms design lists CA Dahl as a smith out of Chicago that did ramps only? for what that is worth. The numbers on the receiver put it at 1948.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'll check the serial numbers again, I ran it on one of those production date searches. This Thursday going to take it in to have the chamber and bore cast and then see where we are at. I thought it might have been short chambered also with new barrel. Not sure wether it is 2 or 4 grooves. Will look it over tonight.

I'm thinking someone has rebarreled it to 280Rem. You could probably push a 30/06 in it but it would be very dangerous to fire it. Have a chamber cast done and then you will know what you have. If it is a 280, you have a nice rifle in a nice caliber. Just not an 06.

Hey Buck,
    yeah I got a funny one but nice, you gotta see it. Serial Number 1450xxx. Will know after We get off this week what she is and off to Birchwood to Burn some powder.

Hey Jeff
    Did you ever figure out what caliber you ended up with. I bought a 17 Endfield once that was sold as a 30/06 but turned out to be a 308Norma. Took it home and went to clean it but the chamber brush was really loose. Chamber cast showed it to be 308Norma. Made me a happy camper.